Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats
Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: "Pinoy English"  (Read 22535 times)

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 08:28:20 AM by Art, re(tired) Fil/Am »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline wildbill

• Sr Member
Re: "Pinoy English"
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 01:05:46 PM »
Funny

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 06:19:43 PM »
This guy has a long list of videos on Youtube.  I love the rice one.
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline wildbill

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 07:50:02 PM »
Yep Thanks to ART we have had some good Laughs in the morning here watching them.

Offline John Edwards

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 12:00:54 AM »
The sad part is he speaks better English than most of the teachers that are required to teach English to the students.

Offline medic3500

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 09:56:47 AM »
Sad but true John, my GF teaches 3rd grade and I go to the school sometimes to visit and hear some of them and I can't understand a word they're saying, lol.

Offline coleman2347

• ole jarhead, Tacloban City, Leyte
  • Sr Member
  • Retired Marine, Retired DOD
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 05:03:52 PM »
I had the opportunity to visit my kids class and meet the teacher, the English teacher, she could not carry on a conversation with me even though I was "dumbing down" I have met pedicab drivers that knew more English....I ended up putting my kids in private school, after I interviewed the teachers....
The only thing worse than wanting to do it is not doing it

Offline meylou

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2013, 03:27:06 AM »
Thanks, Art, for posting the video. It's funny and right on!

It is unfortunate that there are many teachers who can barely carry a conversation in English in the Philippine schools. I know this for a fact because I've met many of them. It is a fact in the Philippines that the really good schools with the best teachers are the most expensive schools... Ateneo University, De La Salle. Assumption (where everyone are taught to write exactly the same style), St. Scholastica's, St. Paul College in Manila. 

If you have children going to school there, the best way is to just guide them and help them speak and spell correctly at home. Be proactive, in other words.  After all, education starts at home.  Peace. :-)
What we think we become... Buddha
:)

Offline medic3500

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2013, 09:36:47 AM »
My GF graduated with honors from Philippine National University which is not a big name expensive college, but does have a pretty good reputation for turning out decent teachers. With only some of the minor mistakes in English sentence structure she does very good in communicating. It also helps that she spent almost 4 years in Doha as OFW.

Offline hitekcountry

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2013, 01:02:53 PM »
 When I was growing up my parents were very active church goers and the church we attended  was a Pilipino church. All the children at the church spoke proper English (most born and educated in the US) and most of the adults were Pilipino who spoke the Pinoy English.  So since all us kids were well exposed the Pinoy English we could switch back and forth any time we wanted. We would do it just to be funny and of course we would exaggerate the accent just the way Mikey does. We would do it only when it was just us kids together because in a way we were making fun of the accent. We almost never did it in front of the adults because it could have been taken as being disrespectful. But what you see Mikey do was very common among the first generation American children of Pilipino parents.

Offline iamjames

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2014, 05:03:47 AM »
90% of the problem there is 'accent'. I am sure many here would not understand a real 'irish' accent (I find many of them difficult). There are many US, British, Norwegians, Germans, Italian and Australians I find it difficult to understand. When a person does not understand you it is more than likely your accent or idioms. Speaking louder 'at' them solves nothing. Just speak more clearly and chose a simpler phrasing will usually solve the problem. I find no problem communicating with teachers here. 

Offline coleman2347

• Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2014, 06:46:45 AM »
My wife says that I speak "slang" its because I have a huge southern accent...and I guess I do...but its very hard for most to understand me

Offline itsmalineA

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2014, 09:29:28 AM »
LOL...Mikey Bustos is so funny..I love to watch most of the videos he makes.Not only that he makes fun about a lot of things,he actually makes a lot of sense/points.

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2014, 09:45:44 AM »
Small | Large
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline coleman2347

• Sr Member
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2014, 03:57:28 PM »
Sometimes I think Mikey should run for office here