Author Topic: Overstayed  (Read 22199 times)

Offline intocebu

• Sr Member
Re: Overstayed
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2014, 12:04:44 AM »
I agree with James a Little fishy at best..I don't live in the Philippines yet but i would say make sure you got all your eggs in 1 Basket Especially in the Philippines cause things change in a Blink of an eye ....

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2014, 01:09:59 AM »
In the case of your friend, Gray Wolf, the procedure followed by immigration seems to have been normal and correct. Firstly the penalty (500 per month) has to be paid. Secondly he needed to formalise his current position - in the Philippines at that point - by paying for a standard two month visa. Thirdly the CARD must also be paid for at this point. There is a logic there that is applied to Visas anywhere. Generally there is no problem where a visa application is delayed for a few days, weeks, or even months - unless for any reason you are arrested. Twelve months is usually the limit for this kind of abuse/error and it is very unwise to allow it to go that far.

I have a growing suspicion that the original query is not what it seems - more like a bit of fishing from some source.

I wasn't disagreeing concerning the fees, although the express fees, IMHO, were a bit out of line since he spent over 4 days in immigration.  The reason I shared the story is because my friend was only a few days overdue with his extension, but still got deported.  It shows that anyone can be deported, if immigration decides you should go.

I too have suspicions about the original story.
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline divs

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2014, 03:53:45 AM »
You say I deserve no sympathy? Well, many people run into problems with money like I did and I wanted my kids to eat first and that was my priority!!! I had money problems period. I also helped other people over the years in the Philippines who needed help. I am a very generous person by nature. I just got further and further behind. I am not the first. Are any of you aware, that over 250 American citizens are unable to pay their fees every year and are assisted to get back home by the U S embassy and are blacklisted just like me? This same situation happens in many other countries as well.We are not evil people, we just had money problems. The U S embassy has a section devoted just to people who have problems just like me and overstayed. So do not be so high and mighty just because you may have a steady check coming in from wherever!

How many of you are aware that the the U S Immigration Dept estimates there are approximately 400.000 to 1,000,000 Filipinos in the U S illegally who overstayed and the U S does very little about it! So when an American is in the predicament of an overstay situation, the Filipinos foam at the mouth to suck as much money from them as possible.  Lets also remember the fact that the Philippines is at U S mercy to protect them from the Chinese and after they threw the U S base in Subic out years ago. Different issue yes, but so what! So, I would think the Filipinos should be a little bit more humble, gracious and forgiving  not gouge us. I wonder what the Philippine government would do if the U S started deporting thousands of Filipinos? I will tell you what they would do: they would yell and scream and carry on how unfair and insensitive the U S was being, that's what!!!!!

I lived in the Philippines for over 12 years and was there legally the majority of the time. Some of you here will always defend the Filipino rather than your own countrymen whether or not it is right to do so.  Americans like I am, seem to be like this unlike the other expats from other countries and I have no idea why. I am not the only one who feels like this.

Offline iamjames

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2014, 05:22:07 AM »

How many of you are aware that the the U S Immigration Dept estimates there are approximately 400.000 to 1,000,000 Filipinos in the U S illegally who overstayed and the U S does very little about it! So when an American is in the predicament of an overstay situation, the Filipinos foam at the mouth to suck as much money from them as possible.  Lets also remember the fact that the Philippines is at U S mercy to protect them from the Chinese and after they threw the U S base in Subic out years ago. Different issue yes, but so what! So, I would think the Filipinos should be a little bit more humble, gracious and forgiving  not gouge us. I wonder what the Philippine government would do if the U S started deporting thousands of Filipinos? I will tell you what they would do: they would yell and scream and carry on how unfair and insensitive the U S was being, that's what!!!!!

So the Philippines owes YOU a debt of gratitude divs? That is not really a good attitude or reason for wanting to move here. This is a young sovereign country which has enough problems trying to look after its own. I sympathize with your financial problems but we must all cut our cloth to measure. The number one requirement of every country in visa issuance is that the applicant does not become a financial burden on the country. 

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2014, 06:19:00 AM »
divs, the Philippines is the Philippines and none of us can control how they deal with anyone who is not Filipino. My earlier suggestion was for you to contact them directly, let me expand, you might wish to contact them explaining your situation (Nicely) and that you wish to repay the money you owe them now that you have apparently gotten back on your feet (so to speak). Then if they say you are still blacklisted, then repay them anyway and wait a few months or more and then ask them again if they could please remove the blacklisting as you love their country and their people etc and/or any other reason you might wish to get back there, such as a special lady you have kept in touch with etc and also explain how you now intend to support yourself, such as you now have SS or whatever else might be your situation.

http://www.immigration.gov.ph/index.php/contact-us/main-office

Email binoc_immigrations@hotmail.ph

Now as for your comments, please do not blame us for your poor planning. Any person who moves to a foreign country should have an exit plan with funding in place. It has nothing to do with us having pensions and more to do with planning. I happen to know of quite a few guys on SS or pensions who do not seem to have an exit plan, from what they have told me, so even with pensions one can get themselves into the same position you found yourself in, but again, that is poor planning on their part and on your part and there is no one to blame but yourselves, for not thinking ahead.

The US, and I am sure other countries, has a whole group of people on the dole who are there because of poor planning and refusal to try to bring themselves up out of living off the govt, so while I feel sorry for you and your situation, we did not put you in that situation, you did, not the Philippine govt or any of us who may have judged you. The Philippines does not owe any of us anything, we owe it to ourselves to make sure we have a backup plan, yet many do not and could fall upon hard times, just like you did due to ever increasing costs of living that some did not plan for.

Now I agree with you on the part of the many Filipinos who are TNT in the US but what does that have to do with the cost of tea in China. You seem to have a bad attitude where you feel the Philippines owes you something and while I feel the Philippines should be thankful for the money we foreigners spend in their country, many of the things they do, seem to lead me to believe that they do not give a hoot about most of us and would much rather have OFW's working abroad and not have any of us meddling in how we think they should run their country. I feel if it was up to the Philippines, then none of us would live in their country and the only foreigners they would welcome are those who visit and spend tons of money doing it.

I hope you do as I suggested above in my first post and repay the money because it is the correct thing to do and not just because you wish to get back into the Philippines, as a debt is a debt and only after the debt is paid may the Philippine govt then know that your motives were first to pay the debt YOU FEEL YOU OWE and second to get back into their country.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 06:24:10 AM by Lee »
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2014, 08:50:40 AM »
Rantings of one's indignation is understood, but the Philippine government was only enforcing their own laws to combat over staying or illegally documented foreigners!
Sometimes, that's just the reality of it!   

In a twist of fate of a U.S. tourist where lack of funds wasn't the issue here, but still got deported and blacklisted!
Just a heads up for those of you who uses travel agents, allegedly certified or licensed, but not necessarily accredited through the Bureau of Immigrations, in the processing your visa extensions for you! "DON'T DO IT"!
There has been a case recently, not in the news, where BI officials discovered that the previous passport visa extension stamps were fakes of a tourist applying for his consecutive 2 month tourist visa extension, which was unknown by the passport holder! The holder of the passport was detained/incarcerated in the Bictuan Detention Center for a few months, then deported to the U.S. and blacklisted from returning to the Philippines!
Talk about indignation! It wasn't even his fault, but immigration still did a number on him!   
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 01:18:12 AM by Art Re(tired) Fil/Am »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2014, 11:34:55 AM »
You say I deserve no sympathy? Well, many people run into problems with money like I did and I wanted my kids to eat first and that was my priority!!! I had money problems period. I also helped other people over the years in the Philippines who needed help. I am a very generous person by nature. I just got further and further behind. I am not the first. Are any of you aware, that over 250 American citizens are unable to pay their fees every year and are assisted to get back home by the U S embassy and are blacklisted just like me? This same situation happens in many other countries as well.We are not evil people, we just had money problems. The U S embassy has a section devoted just to people who have problems just like me and overstayed. So do not be so high and mighty just because you may have a steady check coming in from wherever!

I lived in the Philippines for over 12 years and was there legally the majority of the time. Some of you here will always defend the Filipino rather than your own countrymen whether or not it is right to do so.  Americans like I am, seem to be like this unlike the other expats from other countries and I have no idea why. I am not the only one who feels like this.

Totally agree with you Divs!! 
I overstayed in my younger years here and not much I could do about it at the time.. It was fortunate for me that I was able to get to know a local  official that helped me pay my 2 year overdue fees(very low price) to his friends directly at MIA.. (Manila international airport)
Doing it this way helped me to avoid being black listed etc.
These days I am able to pay my visa fee`s well,well in advance,year in year out and I remain grateful to the guy that assisted me back then when I needed it.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 11:39:36 AM by fred »

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2014, 11:37:47 AM »
Hi. Have you any Spanish, Irish or wherever grandparents ? maybe you can get another passport using your middle name and Enter anew ?  As for getting away with Visa fees well done to you as long as you have not hurt anyone. Most of those fees go into dirty pockets anyways from some accounts.. I wish you well and best luck.. Try and get an answer from a very high immigration official in the Philippines and maybe you will with a humble approach not just have them take your owed to them moneys. Take care..

Good advice! I agree.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2014, 11:58:04 PM »
Hi. Have you any Spanish, Irish or wherever grandparents ? maybe you can get another passport using your middle name and Enter anew ?  As for getting away with Visa fees well done to you as long as you have not hurt anyone. Most of those fees go into dirty pockets anyways from some accounts.. I wish you well and best luck.. Try and get an answer from a very high immigration official in the Philippines and maybe you will with a humble approach not just have them take your owed to them moneys. Take care..

Good advice! I agree.

You agree on what part?  The illegal passport or taking the humble approach and paying the back fees and late charges?  ???
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline intocebu

• Sr Member
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2014, 03:07:29 AM »
Again get all your eggs in 1 Basket.. and you got to be sure living in the Rp Generous or not have money on hand to avoid problems that can arise..I wont move there untill i am sure me and the wife have the money to do it... Jmho...

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2014, 08:34:40 AM »

Good advice! I agree.

You agree on what part?  The illegal passport or taking the humble approach and paying the back fees and late charges?  ???

Taking the humble approach and OF COURSE paying back the money I owed and couldn't pay whilst in country due to circumstances beyond my control.. A way out,and a way back in.. 2 strikes = OUT!
Many of these guys are not undesirables or criminals .. Some guys that come here are just naive,unlucky or just plain stupid..
This small group deserve a second shot IMO.. Not  permanent deportation and name on a black list.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 08:37:42 AM by fred »

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2014, 11:29:41 AM »

I agree with this guy too!!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 04:57:17 AM by Gray Wolf »

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2014, 11:30:19 AM »
Some guys that come here are just naive, unlucky or just plain stupid.
That is the only part I agree with, I have met some of them, and we sure do not want any more here, I am backing the Phil BI on this one ;D 8)
Yeah I would sadly agree that some guys or even gals are naive, unlucky and just plain stupid when living in a foreign land with a bunch of immigration laws, rules and regulations such as here in the Philippines!
In other words, as the saying goes in French "Caveat Emptor" or Caveat, "may he/she beware"!‎
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 11:48:54 AM by Art Re(tired) Fil/Am »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2014, 11:39:12 AM »
I feel if it was up to the Philippines, then none of us would live in their country and the only foreigners they would welcome are those who visit and spend tons of money doing it.

Most Filipino`s that I have come into contact with do not seem to feel this way.. Its certainly not something that I have experienced anyway.

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2014, 09:40:08 AM »
I was charged with fake stamps in my passport and deported and blacklisted.  On Friday 2 Aug 2013 I went to the main BI office to get a 2 month extension and renew my ACR I-card.  Filled out the application and payed the fee of 5540 php and told to return in 2 hrs to pick-up.
Sent away again at 11 am and 1 pm, returned at 3 pm and taken behind the processing windows asked to wait for BI personnel from upstairs.  Inquired as to what was up and informed I had fake stamps.  Interviewed by BI lawyer and told I was 5th or 6th person to get fake stamps from Skymall Travel Agency in Dasmarinas, Cavite.  Asked why they were still open and told when I was released I needed to file Estafa charges against the Agency and include BI and DOJ in my suit.  2 Aug being a Friday I was taken to the BI Detentention Center in Bicutan were I was incarcerated until 18 Nov 2013(108 days) and deported that morning to Guam.  I returned to California on 25 Nov 2013.  While in Bicutan I had a lawyer who basically did nothing to help me get out and remain in RP.  Being initially told of the fake stamps I offered to make good any fee/fines that would be due, turned out to be 77K including 50K fine.  Weird part was that when I finally received my paperwork in early Nov 2013 after continually asking for it since Aug 2013(it was signed 27 Aug 2013) it stated the above fines/fees plus deportation/blacklisting.  Fines/fees were for overstay from Oct 2012 til Oct 2013, yet in Jan 2013 I paid for 2 month extension at BI PEZA Office Manila and on 2 Aug 2013 at main BI office the extension from Aug to Oct(receipts for both furnished to BI).  Finally got a good lawyer to refill my fiancee's petition for removal from blacklist(dtd last week Nov 2013) in late Mar 2014.  Lawyer was told a new rule was implemented in Jan 2014 that requires 12 months from departure of removal from blacklist.  Lawyer argued that I was a victim and BI finally agreed and I was removed from the blacklist on 25 Apr 2014.  I returned to the RP on 17 Apr 2014.  My fault believing the travel agency was authorized to do business with BI but had used them since 2011 with no problems, made visa run to BKK in Jun 2012 and had no problem with stamps also got extension in Jan/Feb 2013 at PEZA BI office without a problem.  Lesson learned only BI offices from now on.  Hopefully 13a application will be filed by the end of this year.

Chuck
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time