Author Topic: Check in thread for just saying hi  (Read 86178 times)

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
Re: Check in thread for just saying hi
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2014, 09:59:30 PM »
Just checking in.  All this talk about the IHOP but the chow down has apparently stalled with all the heat lately having an effect on transportation since someone can't get there himself as the little red puddle hopper doesn't go past the grocery store.  Others are quiet about it too so if it happens, guess it won't be for another few months.
Hi Bud,
Just last week we met up with a member from another forum (I think he's on here too, but seldom posts) and with his 2 kids 4 yr old boy and 10 yr old daughter (nice kids, but you know how 4 yr olds are). We all got in "Little Red" and made it to the House of Pancakes at Nuvali, an IHOP it wasn't, but I still ordered myself a Big Country Breakfast and French Toast! It was good, but not great!
IHOP is still on my agenda though, but we'll make it there one of these days!  ::) ??? :o ;)   
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 10:59:15 PM by Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2014, 11:40:14 PM »
Well, it has been a fine and sunny weekend here in England. Not too warm but then this ain't the Philippines! From our 3rd floor apartment I can see our towns cricket ground and one of the first games of their season yesterday. On warm summer days last year a friend and I would walk over to their clubhouse and enjoy a few beers as we watched.

Shirley worked double shifts both days at the local hospital (enhanced weekend pay!) so I had some time to myself. Yes it is true, I just want her for her money as she just wants me for my body - isn't it usually the other way round guys?

I went out with a local cycling club yesterday morning, memorable for it's cake and coffee stops in the local Essex countryside. Waking up this morning my aching knees tell me I am not getting any younger, though some fellow riders are years older than me.

We are counting down now until October when we will return to the Philippines for a brief holiday. And also waiting for the bill for our baby nieces heart operation in Manila, which will dictate our spending money whilst there!

Thanks for your posts Paulgee and others, it is great all you guys are kicking in thus letting us all know both that you are okay and a little about your lives.

It is great that Shirley is working, thus making money to support you in the style you are accustomed to lol, joke lang but I know a working wife can definitely add to the kitty to make life much easier and bring about retirement much quicker, so hoping your vacations and then retirement comes quickly for you both.

Cycling is great exercise to keep you young and alive, I wonder how you will be able to accomplish that when in the Philippines, maybe the area you move will be like Arts where you can ride, I know in my area of Cebu it would be very hard to do but I am told there are those that ride in some other areas of Cebu.

I hope Oct comes quickly for you, thus also bringing the end of the year closer for us, so we get close to our next trip over.

Sorry to hear of the nieces heart issues, our prayers will be with her for a quick recovery, please keep us informed.

Last year was a very bad year for us, my wife's sister needed a DNC and her brother got stabbed by the next door neighbor, so needless to say it cost us a small fortune in hospital and medical bills, which in turn made us stay home and eat rice a lot of the time we were in Cebu last year, fortunately this year we were in much better shape to run around with lots of friends, yet right at the end had we stayed even another week it would have meant rice only for the rest of the trip :( so I am glad my wife planned our return for when she did. Sp Paul I can understand what you may end up with but the child and in our case families life comes first as it should be IMO.

I guess that is one of the issues for some of us when we marry into a family but the upside sure does outweigh the bad, so I still feel I am very blessed to have my lovely wife and most of her family.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2014, 12:14:22 AM »
The reason Jack allows a link to my site is because it has no members and I do not run a forum so is not in competition with this forum. A certain person in the past did accuse me of trying to steal members but that was, and still is, not true. I state clearly at the beginning that it is just information for family and friends. It gives me a lot more freedom to display the information the way I want it. In the past I have put some information on the forum with a link to more details on my site. I have not touched my site for some time, so I need to get back to it, tidy it, update it etc. Here is the link as the site stands at the moment http://thephilippinejournal.wikifoundry.com/

There were problems in the forum in the past, which I won’t go into, but it did cause a lot of the early members to drop out, however, it has improved a lot and is now one of the best forums on the subject. When I was removed, I was generally p****d with whole thing so arranged for someone to delete me and I removed all the links to the photos. Some (most?) of my early posts remain but are attributed to ‘Guest’ and with no photos. To be honest, I am still wary of the power wielded by moderators etc, and the misuse by one member has made me reluctant to get too deeply involved, however, things have changed so I will reconsider.

Sorry for the long sermon, but I felt the need to explain how things stood with me and the forum.

I will follow Lee’s suggestion and produce some post to explain how we live and what we do here. Perhaps there should be a new section entitled something like ‘How we live here’  :) and encourage others that live here permanently to make contributions. I think this would be of interest to members still thinking of moving here and saying ‘what will I do when I get there’. Just swinging in a hammock drinking Red Horse served by a beautiful Filipina can get a little boring after a while   ;)

First of all in reply to your other post, get well soon my friend, I regularly get the flu on most of our trips to the Philippines but thankfully this past trip neither of us got sick at all from colds or flu and my only issues were from my messed up immune system (Lupus) and the trip and upside down time zone (for me) knocking the heck out of my usually messed up body.

Thanks for the link Colin, I will check out your Blog. I understand (having been a mod and an admin on quite a few forums in the past as well as a member of quite a few) about the way some mods and owners feel about blogs sort of being stealing their members but I feel happy members will stay on a forum if they find another forum or blog a member supplies, while at the same time I can understand owners being hesitant to allow links to blogs or other forums, since I too had been blamed by a friend when I left one forum to go to another and then had the owner of a forum I later left continually harass and threaten me because HE felt I would steal his members, which I would never do and the fact that the forum I went to and became an admin on at a friend who owned its request and which finally failed due to lack of funds by the owner of that forum, should have been proof alone to the former forum owner that I would never do that but I doubt even that was good enough proof to him, so I can sort of relate to where you are coming from. Forums and those that run them can at times be hard to deal with and I too am a bit gun shy because often when I write on a forum it would bring about a flood of harassing emails from the owner of former forums I was on in the past because THEY felt I was trying to steal their members or to make other forums better to hurt their forum but I feel I am free to post where I wish to, just as members are free to post or not post where they wish to, so in the end it would be my hope that all forums and forum members could get along, just as I wish we all in this world could get along and it is not about trying to hurt anyone or any forum, it IMHO is ALL about trying to help those that read forums because others had helped me with their posts, so I want to give back and besides, in life I FEEL it is all about doing unto others as I wish them to do unto me.

So Colin, thank you for your input and thank you for writing that you will follow my suggestion, lets all in this world try to help each other because in the end I believe we can be happier with ourselves for the good we can do in this world and the good we can do for the Philippines and the people of the Philippines by telling readers like it is, so that happier and more knowledgeable people will visit or move to the Philippines and thus end up with better lives there, as well as making less waves while there.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2014, 12:20:31 AM »
Hi Lee, and everyone else,

I did post a question, with a short explanation, last year of what our future plans are.
I think that this thread is not the place to bring that up, so the link is here if anyone wants to see what it says.

http://www.livinginthephilippines.com/forum/index.php?topic=48375.msg52084#msg52084

I am not yet close to retirement, but both myself and my asawa are planning for me to move to the Philippines and work there for a few years until such time that we can both retire. At that time we will move out of the Manila area to somewhere else, someplace quieter, calmer, less populated, etc etc.

Thomas

Thanks Thomas, I will go read it now.

Offline hitekcountry

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2014, 08:45:16 AM »
Yes it is true, I just want her for her money as she just wants me for my body
:o :o
Paulgee------ You’re truly an inspiration!  LOL!! :D :D

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2014, 09:35:46 AM »
http://thephilippinejournal.wikifoundry.com/

http://thephilippinejournal.wikifoundry.com/page/Construction
All I can say is wow, wow and wow some more, that is one heck of a nice house and seems very very large as well. Good work but you already had to know that without me saying it. and another Wow for good measures.   8)

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2014, 09:43:58 AM »
Now some people might be wondering why I am posting more of late, the answer is that I started a new medication a few months ago and my head seems to be finally clearing up somewhat, so that my thinking process is starting to return quite a bit as there was a time for a while that I could not even figure out how or when it was time to eat, now that is really bad for me who loves to eat.  ;) I am still having a hard time writing and doing some things but I am probably around 60% better for the time being and hoping for more, not that I was ever good at writing in the first place but for a while there I could not get the cobwebs out of my head at all.  :(

Offline drpeterb

« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2014, 01:49:40 PM »
Well, it has been a fine and sunny weekend here in England. Not too warm but then this ain't the Philippines! From our 3rd floor apartment I can see our towns cricket ground and one of the first games of their season yesterday. On warm summer days last year a friend and I would walk over to their clubhouse and enjoy a few beers as we watched.

Shirley worked double shifts both days at the local hospital (enhanced weekend pay!) so I had some time to myself. Yes it is true, I just want her for her money as she just wants me for my body - isn't it usually the other way round guys?

I went out with a local cycling club yesterday morning, memorable for it's cake and coffee stops in the local Essex countryside. Waking up this morning my aching knees tell me I am not getting any younger, though some fellow riders are years older than me.

We are counting down now until October when we will return to the Philippines for a brief holiday. And also waiting for the bill for our baby nieces heart operation in Manila, which will dictate our spending money whilst there!

Weather was no quite so good in Norfolk, UK.  However, good enough for a couple of BBQ's and to sort the garden out.  We are gradually packing too ahead of Elvie (wife) and Troy (son) moving to Cagayan Valley in 6 weeks and me (Peter) moving to a smaller house in UK.

On the subject of moving (please move thread if appropriate), anyone any experience (good or bad) of moving household effects?  We have an initial quote form a UK company as far as Manila, then they were getting a quote from local agents from Manila to Sta Ana.  Initial quote was fast and 2 weeks ago, but nothing from them for 2 weeks on local transport within Luzon!

We are looking forward to developing our house and new life in the Philippines, although I will remain a visitor for the next few years whilst I continue to work in UK. I have interests in sailing, so hopefully will start boat build this year if I am allowed a boat shed as part of the development!!  We have some farmland too.  Would love to be more adventurous than just growing rice, but we have little experience to date.

Great forum by the way, catch up on new posts most days. 

Best regards  Peter

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2014, 02:56:01 PM »
Not trying to be a party pooper, but this "check in thread", once the OP is made just to say hello it is going every which way about all kinds of subjects mingled into one post! New topics should be started of new subjects and not wonder off or overlap into other unrelated subjects from the original post!
So far reading this "check in thread", I've read all about the weather, banking, employment, relationships, sports, computers, immigration, food, travel destinations, airlines, hobbies, home construction and etc! You get what I mean? It's all jumbled under this one "check in thread"! Is this the way one would like it to continue to be, even though it's on a roll? 
It would be nice after the initial said hello, one would start a new topic or link it to that continued associated thread of a specific topic to be presented and discussed among the members on here instead of using the "check in thread" to continue a back and forth lengthy dialog or conversations between members!       
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2014, 05:35:37 PM »
@Peter, thanks for posting and filling us in on your future plans, hope they all work out well for you and your family and possibly you might wish to post questions and info related to your moving experiences in other threads/topics where they would fit, so others who may wish to do the same thing might be able to gain knowledge from them.

@Art, yes this is the direction I wanted this thread to go, loose with members just checking in with things/anything about their life and then it would be my hope that they would then also post in appropriate sections other info. While this would not be a normal format for a forum and while it may drive some members and especially Jack a bit crazy/upset, I and I am sure others would like to know how all the members are and especially those who rarely or never post. Since coming back to this forum I have been wondering where so many of the members of the past are and how their lives are now going.

If Jack or the mods feel some posts might be better in other sections of the forum then of course they can move them but my idea was to make it sort of a chat section where people told us a little about their lives and I sure do hope that more people will jump in and do that.

Should the time come that Jack feels this thread has gone too far astray, then he is welcome to close it but I hope it stays open at least until lots of members have had a chance to either post in it or read up on how others are doing.

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2014, 07:27:50 PM »
http://thephilippinejournal.wikifoundry.com/

http://thephilippinejournal.wikifoundry.com/page/Construction
All I can say is wow, wow and wow some more, that is one heck of a nice house and seems very very large as well. Good work but you already had to know that without me saying it. and another Wow for good measures.   8)

The house looks good on the outside but there is a lot more work needed to improve the interior. It looks big because it is very wide but only one room deep to give good airflow. During the cooler parts of the year we have all the windows open, now it is uncomfortably hot the windows are kept closed with aircon in selected rooms. Because of the high level of insulation our electricity bill has only increased by well under P2000

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2014, 06:38:40 AM »
Now some people might be wondering why I am posting more of late, the answer is that I started a new medication a few months ago ...

That explains a lot!     :o  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D   ;D ;D   :) :)
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2014, 06:40:34 AM »
Not trying to be a party pooper, but this "check in thread", once the OP is made just to say hello it is going every which way about all kinds of subjects mingled into one post! New topics should be started of new subjects and not wonder off or overlap into other unrelated subjects from the original post!
So far reading this "check in thread", I've read all about the weather, banking, employment, relationships, sports, computers, immigration, food, travel destinations, airlines, hobbies, home construction and etc! You get what I mean? It's all jumbled under this one "check in thread"! Is this the way one would like it to continue to be, even though it's on a roll? 
It would be nice after the initial said hello, one would start a new topic or link it to that continued associated thread of a specific topic to be presented and discussed among the members on here instead of using the "check in thread" to continue a back and forth lengthy dialog or conversations between members!     

Thank You Art!  I agree and hope that our members can use their own judgement and search for an appropriate topic elsewhere on the forum for their extended conversations on "other" topics.   ;)

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2014, 07:00:34 AM »

@Art, yes this is the direction I wanted this thread to go, loose with members just checking in with things/anything about their life and then it would be my hope that they would then also post in appropriate sections other info. While this would not be a normal format for a forum ... it may drive some members and especially Jack a bit crazy ...

You're correct in saying this is not a normal format for any forum, and you're also correct in saying it's driving Jack crazy.  I would appreciate it if everyone not jumble everything into one topic.  I don't have the time to move even more posts to their correct spot.  As it is I barely have the time to simply read the posts daily.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!   ;)  :)

Offline paulgee

• Sr Member
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2014, 12:52:14 AM »
Yes it is true, I just want her for her money as she just wants me for my body
:o :o
Paulgee------ You’re truly an inspiration!  LOL!! :D :D

Not many Fiipinas are interested in taxidermy !!
Based in the UK, and part time in our San Fernando, Pampanga house