Author Topic: Check in thread for just saying hi  (Read 86173 times)

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
Check in thread for just saying hi
« on: May 03, 2014, 10:36:08 PM »
I wonder if we should not have a thread all to itself, for daily, weekly, monthly or whatever checking in. Well lets see if there is any interest and if there is, then maybe Jack will make a thread just for checking in.

My thoughts on this is that often members read the forum and some post while others rarely if ever do, well I was thinking, yes I know that can be dangerous,  8) how about if all a member has to do is post a quick hello, or something like I am having a great life in the Philippines, or I hope to have a great life in the Philippine, or whatever, just so we all get to know who reads this forum and possibly what their interests in the Philippines might be about.

For those of you who do not know me, I have been married to my lovely wife for coming on 20 years now and we have traveled back and forth to the Philippine since getting married and in the recent years since I totally retired, we have been visiting yearly and spending 3 or 4 months a year in Cebu while also traveling around the Philippines visiting family and friends. My wife and I just got back to the US this week, so

so far it has been a great year, how about you? How is your life going?

:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: Check in thread for just saying hi
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 10:50:27 PM »
I wonder if we should not have a thread all to itself, for daily, weekly, monthly or whatever checking in. Well lets see if there is any interest and if there is, then maybe Jack will make a thread just for checking in.

Here you go, Lee!  I made it a "sticky" so it will always be at the top of this page under this topic.  It's all yours Big Boy! 

Today is the 140th running of the Kentucky Derby!  The fastest 2 minutes in sports.  It's a holiday in Louisville, where we've been partying for 2 weeks.  I'll be away from the computer all day, so everyone behave!  Lee and Rufus are in charge while I'm away eating BBQ, burgoo and drinking ice cold beer.   Have fun, y'all!    :)
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline meylou

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 02:16:13 AM »
We are fine, thanks for asking. 
Glad to you know you are now back in Florida. Hopefully it's not raining too much where you are. The Florida Panhandle got too much rain in a 24-hour period.

We are now following the NHL hockey playoff games, since we only really watch during playoffs.
Rooting for LA Kings and Anaheim Ducks. Crosstown rivalry game today. 

I also enjoy watching what fancy hats people wear during the Kentucky Derby. It's amusing. :)  I wonder if Jack and Gloria wear fun or fancy hats while partying during this time. :) :) ;)
What we think we become... Buddha
:)

Offline hitekcountry

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 02:19:23 AM »
Ok Lee Iíll jump in here and contribute. :)

As some of you may remember Iím interested in evaluating the Philippines as a place to retire to. Actually Iíve been retired for some time now living in San Jose Ca but I donít much care for big cities. I grew up a country boy. So Manila/ Makati is not a consideration and even a gated community/suburb would not be appealing to me at all.

Also because I now have Dual citizenship I can own land, limited to the same limitations of any Philippine citizen.

Iíve been sidetracked for over 4 months on a large project but now Iím done with that and now looking to plan my next trip to the Philippines. One or my relatives that we stayed with when we were in the Philippines will be here in CA in a few days. Iíll be talking to him about planning my trip.

Who knows I might even get the chance to have breakfast at IHOP with Art and Bud. 8)

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 02:44:43 AM »
@ graywolf
In charge, please turn over the keys lol. Just kidding, I sure do not need the extra work/ :D

@ meyleu
 The weather here in Fort Lauderdale Florida is great but it does look like it might rain later today, hope your game goes well.

@ hitekcountry

Glad you jumped in, being a dual citizen will sure make it a lot easier for you to deal with any issues. I wish I was there to join you Art and Bud at IHOP, I guess I will have to settle for the ones in the US and we also love the Original House of Pancakes they have here, I love the Apple baby pancakes.
mmmmmm mummm good but lots of sugar.

Thanks to you all for jumping in, I hope others will jump in as well, so we can all get to know each other to enhance this community.

photo removed due to bad link
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 03:45:34 AM by Lee »
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2014, 03:06:22 AM »
Just checking in to say Hi!
"Hi"! OMG, another IHOP fan!
::) ??? :o ;)
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline mikbal

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 04:48:29 AM »
    Just getting ready this weekend here in San Antonio to watch the Spurs blow another playoff (hopefully not!).  My daughter is moving to Dallas this summer to start work on her Ph.D. at SMU and I have already warned her not to be seduced by those wicked Maverick fans. :)
    We head out for the Philippines Tuesday and will be visiting family in Angeles, as well as seeing the sites in Baguio and Manila.  We're looking forward to the trip but not to that long flight from LA to Seoul.  After that the flight from Seoul to the Philippines seems just like a short hop. 

Mike

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2014, 05:34:52 AM »
Enjoy your trip Mike and be sure to fill us in when you have time.

As for the flights, I can relate. We take Delta to Atlanta and then KAL from Atlanta to Seoul and then to Cebu with a total travel time of around 30 hours including layovers and not including start time from our home and I am usually wiped out for a week after going and coming. :(

I love our time in the Philippines but I hate the travel back and forth. :(

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2014, 07:13:09 AM »
I have been with this forum from the very beginning with an interruption caused by a dispute with an ex moderator outside of the forum :( This caused a lot of my early posts to be marked as 'guest' giving me a lot lower post count. Jack brought me back in again but I am a bit cautious about posting now having had my fingers burnt.

My wife and I were married in the UK in 1988 and moved permanently to the Philippines in 2005. We spent one year in Manila and the rest of the time in Puerto Princesa Palawan.  We rented initially in the city centre but moved into our newly built house around 3 years ago. Problems with the contractors caused us to lose a lot of money so we are still making improvements. The latest, in progress now, is building a wall around the lot.

Offline Shewmake

• Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2014, 07:25:50 AM »
My two centavos- I am bone tired but the house is almost finished. Soon some well deserved rest and a few cold ones.
Here for good,
Stephen

If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month. Theodore Roosevelt

Offline hitekcountry

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2014, 08:54:24 AM »
Colin

I was able to see some of what you posted of your house build, and some I missed. It was very interesting and informative and helpful in my understanding the differences in building from the US and Philippines.

No doubt it represented quite a bit of effort to post all you did on the net and I for one would like to thank you for that.

OH....also want to say ... Very Nice House!

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2014, 08:59:33 AM »
My two centavos- I am bone tired but the house is almost finished. Soon some well deserved rest and a few cold ones.

Won't be hard to find you!  Hahahaha!   :D :D :D :) :) :)

The house is looking good!  Keep us posted on the rest of the work!
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline Travelling Bob

• Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2014, 09:17:50 AM »
G-Day everyone I am in Banna now and end of week with be going to Palawan for about 4 days.

Bob

Offline meylou

• Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2014, 11:47:27 AM »
Enjoy your Palawan trip, Bob.  Maybe you'll run into Colin  :) .

Stephen, please let us know how your home construction is doing... you're almost at the end of the line - almost..  ;)
What we think we become... Buddha
:)

Offline Travelling Bob

• Sr Member
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2014, 04:37:27 PM »

Enjoy your Palawan trip, Bob.  Maybe you'll run into Colin  :) .

thanks, I have been reading all about Palawan and am really looking forward to it. It sounds a great place.