Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Check in thread for just saying hi  (Read 97815 times)

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: Check in thread for just saying hi
« Reply #90 on: September 26, 2014, 12:45:54 AM »
Happy Birthday Lee!   There's a party I wish I could attend!  If only I was 9,000 miles closer!   :D  Kick up your heels and let the good times roll, brod!  May you enjoy many, many more!   :)

Advance Happy Birthday to you too, brother Arturo!   Many more to come!   :)
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline coleman2347

• ole jarhead, Tacloban City, Leyte
  • Sr Member
  • Retired Marine, Retired DOD
« Reply #91 on: September 26, 2014, 02:18:51 AM »
Thanks Jack and the rest of the over the hill gang, I swear I will do the best to make you proud!!!
The only thing worse than wanting to do it is not doing it

Offline hitekcountry

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #92 on: September 26, 2014, 02:55:24 AM »
Happy birthday guys- Lee, Coleman, Art, you young guys are going to have to hurry up if youíre going to catch up to me, I turned the big 70 a month ago, I still canít believe Iím that old. ???

A few days after my birthday I decided to do something note able so I challenged myself to do a 70 k bike ride. It was a bit of an effort and there were times I questioned whether I would be able to continue when my legs were beginning to cramp up but I continued to push myself. I had made the determination I would complete the 70K or die trying. I did it. I completed actually 74K by the time I got home.

So to me itís less important how old you are and more a matter of what you can do and what you expect of yourself.

Trev.

Every time I go to a restaurant I ask for the senior discount and often they look at me like Iím scamming them ::) trying to get a discount Iím not entitled to. So when they question/challenge me on my age Iím happy to show them my driverís license. Yes it's fun to see their reactions. :D

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #93 on: September 26, 2014, 06:10:23 AM »
Happy birthday guys- Lee, Coleman, Art, you young guys are going to have to hurry up if youíre going to catch up to me, I turned the big 70 a month ago, I still canít believe Iím that old. ???

A few days after my birthday I decided to do something note able so I challenged myself to do a 70 k bike ride. It was a bit of an effort and there were times I questioned whether I would be able to continue when my legs were beginning to cramp up but I continued to push myself. I had made the determination I would complete the 70K or die trying. I did it. I completed actually 74K by the time I got home.

So to me itís less important how old you are and more a matter of what you can do and what you expect of yourself.

Trev.

Every time I go to a restaurant I ask for the senior discount and often they look at me like Iím scamming them ::) trying to get a discount Iím not entitled to. So when they question/challenge me on my age Iím happy to show them my driverís license. Yes it's fun to see their reactions. :D

Thank you, That bike ride is amazing, I probably could not make it around the block. :(

As for in the US, I often get asked for id since my hair is still mostly dark brown and they are always amazed that I am my age, and since I never tried in the Philippines, I guess I would have no idea what might happen but I did once have my wife ask the cashier at the supermarket if we could use the senior line, telling her back then I was 65 and she never asked for id. :(
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline Frosty

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #94 on: December 14, 2014, 11:00:02 PM »
Hi everyone
I'm just checking in.
Happy B-day to all of you.

Offline coleman2347

• ole jarhead, Tacloban City, Leyte
  • Sr Member
  • Retired Marine, Retired DOD
« Reply #95 on: December 15, 2014, 10:27:54 PM »
Just got this computer open again, might have to put it down for a couple of days for maintaince but am working on a back up as I truly cant read malines laptop....
The only thing worse than wanting to do it is not doing it

Offline cvgtpc1

• Sr Member
« Reply #96 on: December 15, 2014, 10:39:10 PM »
CTRL/+ key magnifies webpages.  What I do and really helps.

Offline Zak Sparrow

« Reply #97 on: February 03, 2015, 12:38:42 AM »
Hi everyone! Just another cold day in hell here.....we just finished up the John Beargrease sled dog race NE Minnesota....itz a pre qualification race for the Iditarod race in Alaska. Usually I'm already settled in somewhere in the phils for the winter. I
 needed some surgery done at the VA hospital so wasn't able to make it this year. Looks like my oldest son will make it back b4 me to see his family and relatives there.....
Always face piles of trials with smiles

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #98 on: February 06, 2015, 12:00:20 AM »
Just checking in to say hello to my favorite forum friends and members on here.
We finally made it to Northern California on our long vacation here in San Jose, Chucks old stomping grounds! It's a lot more crowed here now and the price of homes and rents have sky rocketed, but all in all it's a nice place to live! The weather here is still on the cool side of 60 deg F., which is comfortable for me. I just hope my hay fever allergies do not come back. All of the trees and flowers are in full bloom, meaning hay fever allergy season is coming soon.
I convinced my in-laws to get AT&T internet WiFi installed and it only took a day to install including a WiFi TV system with over 500 channels, including TFC. Pretty neat system without any cables to install. The installer only took a few hours to install the whole system, one modem and 5 receivers for the 5 TVs in their 5 bedroom townhouse. Lucky thing too, because my cellphone was on smarts postpaid roaming mode from the Philippines and it was cheap! I use Skype now to send text messages and or call anyone, anywhere free or for just pennies on the dollar. 
Well OK here for now! Take care all!
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline cvgtpc1

• Sr Member
« Reply #99 on: February 06, 2015, 12:56:59 AM »
Who's covering the monthly bill after you leave?  LOL

Glad you're having fun!

• Sr Member
« Reply #100 on: February 06, 2015, 06:08:55 AM »
They will. There are 4 in their family working.
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #101 on: February 06, 2015, 06:18:53 AM »
Good to know all is working out well for you while on vacation. Enjoy your stay.

:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

• Sr Member
« Reply #102 on: February 08, 2015, 03:43:46 PM »
Good to know all is working out well for you while on vacation. Enjoy your stay.
Yes Lee, we are enjoying ourselves since we haven't been back here in N. California in 3 yrs. Things have changed quite a bit, it has gotten more crowed than ever with so many cars everywhere and the prices of homes has gone up in price everywhere dramatically, for example the 4 bedroom, 3 bath townhouse my in-laws are renting is around $2,300, but unfortunately they have to vacate it because the owner is selling it for $500,000 and my in-laws can not afford to buy it since they are now retired and just collecting their social security pensions and other members of their family are only earning enough to pitch in their share of their monthly expense, but not enough to buy the townhouse they are living in now, which they have to vacate by end of July and find another place to rent that's affordable near where their other members of their family works, commuting long distance is not an option even though gas prices has come down in N. California. Well we'll see what happens in the next couple of months while we're still here on vacation.
We're just fortunate we moved to the Philippines when I retired in 1997. It's so much of a hassle free life in the Philippines IMO and having a mortgage free home helps greatly and not having to work anymore is just the icing on the cake!
See ya all with an update of what's up in my next post about life in Northern California and or in the Philippines upon our return from vacation. 
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 03:48:06 PM by Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am »
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #103 on: February 09, 2015, 12:03:37 AM »
They can't afford to buy it for $500k now that they are retired and only drawing social security?  LoL.  I can see why they can't unless they were to have had a pile of money socked away.  I could not afford that place even if I was still working.  I could have gotten a second and third job to go along with my main one maybe to do so.
Whatever floats your boat.

• Sr Member
« Reply #104 on: February 16, 2015, 06:54:15 AM »
Just checking in just to say hello from the cool state of N. California, in the City of San Jose to be exact. I say cool, because it still has been around 56 to 63 Deg F. on the average, which is kind of nice really.
Just been busy taking care of all of our paperwork, like renewal of my U.S. passport/military I.D. cards and setting up our physical exams prior to returning there to the Philippines.
San Jose hasn't really changed much, except for it has gotten more crowed with all sorts of vehicles and more traffic. The prices of homes here are still outrageous! Sure we can afford to move back here, but we wouldn't be able to keep our home in the Philippines and maintain two residents. Anyway, life is less stressful and complicated in the Philippines and that's where we will probably stay for the long haul.
BTW, we did make it to our favorite fast food joint, "Jack in the Box" and had our fill of those two for 99 cents greasy regular small tacos, I ate half a dozen of them! We also bought half a dozen live Dunguness crabs for $6.99 a lb, bought 4 ea at our local Asian market and the price has gone up to $8.99 a lb just recently, which long ago back in 2008 they were only $4.99 a lb alive and kicking.
I also had my first taste in 3 years of a thick juicy USDA tender rib-eye steak, I was in heaven!
End of my story for now! Later until the next time I check in again!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 07:06:34 AM by Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am »
"Que Sera Sera"!