Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats
Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: The Shewmake house  (Read 8727 times)

Offline Shewmake

• Sr Member
The Shewmake house
« on: May 12, 2014, 12:30:30 PM »
Some asked and we happy to show a few pics of the project to date. We started on Jan. 9th and hope to move in the first of June, I hope.
Here for good,
Stephen

If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month. Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Shewmake

• Sr Member
Re: The Shewmake house
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 12:38:44 PM »
Someone asked and we happy to show a few pics of the project to date. We started on Jan. 9th and hope to move in the first of June, I hope.
Here for good,
Stephen

If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month. Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 08:53:15 PM »
Wow!!! Very nice, how many sq meters is the house? How many bedrooms and CR's?
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 08:58:39 PM »
Thank you, those are some very nice photos of the progress, please keep this post updated when you have time and add more photos and more comments to it. I always enjoy seeing how people build and what they build and I am sure other do as well. 
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline Shewmake

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 06:59:44 AM »
The floor area is about 140 sqr mtrs. Three bedrooms and two CR's.  We will finish up the inside painting this week, and the counter tops and closet shelving will be installed. We hope to move in the first week of June.
Here for good,
Stephen

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 10:07:42 PM »
Very nice!  I particularly like the tile accents on the archway.   :)
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline Shewmake

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2014, 06:58:29 PM »
Week Nineteen- It's all a blur right now. All the trades are here- painters, tilers, cabinet-makers, electrician and the plumber. We are still trying to get in by the end of the month, but we will see.
Here for good,
Stephen

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2014, 09:13:06 PM »
The house is really taking shape nicely!  I truly love some of the small touches and tile accents you've added.  If you don't mind, and without revealing any personal information, approximately how much will you have invested in the construction when it's ready to move in?  Just a round figure will do.

I ask because over the last several years we spent roughly $25,000 building a house for our family in Novaliches, and while it's much nicer than the surrounding neighbors houses, I'm thinking that Gloria and I would build our personal retirement home a little differently

Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2014, 09:25:42 PM »
Very, very, very nice, shaping up nicely. Please keep the photos coming, I enjoy seeing the stages of building and find that I learn from them.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2014, 09:29:05 PM »
Oh to add a comment, when we had our condos done, we took two studios to turn into a 2/2, I asked the contractor to make sure at least one got done first, so we could move into it, so you might wish to ask yours to finish one CR, the kitchen and the Master bedroom or whatever rooms are the most important to you first and then work in the rest of the house, that way you might be able to move in even if not totally complete.

Offline Shewmake

• Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2014, 06:42:25 AM »
Thanks for all the great comments. The house including the garage and covered patio is 185 sqr mtrs. I calculate we will have spent about 22,500p per sqr mtr. This includes everything- labor, appliances, aircons, granite, gates, grilles, and perimeter fencing... the works.
Here for good,
Stephen

Offline brett4gam

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
  • A happy retired Aussie living a relaxing lifestyle
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2014, 08:36:29 AM »
Shewmake, the house will be very impressive when finished, after looking at your pics I love the glass blocks used in the shower and will try and do the same when we extend our place.

One question if I may, are the tiles used on the floor outside a clay tile?

The financial outlay for what you are getting done seems excellent value as well.

Cheers
Brett
I have never seen the world brighter and less prosperous.

Offline coleman2347

• ole jarhead, Tacloban City, Leyte
  • Sr Member
  • Retired Marine, Retired DOD
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2014, 12:23:01 PM »
I totally agree with the type of roof you used, after Yolanda I did a survey of what survived and what didnt, that type of roof almost always came through the storm
The only thing worse than wanting to do it is not doing it

Offline hitekcountry

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2014, 03:55:11 AM »
Wow, thatís great to know. I was thinking about asking you about the different roofs and how they stood up in the storm. You can see where houses side by side, one has its roof intact and the other is gone.

Also Iím under the impression the hip roofs did better than the gable roofs. As an example, the Sto. Nino Parish roof (at Zamora & Real) with the gable end is all gone but the roof with hip ends appear to be intact.
Of course there are gable roofs intact also but I think the hip has somewhat of an advantage.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 04:08:19 AM by hitekcountry »

Offline arlie

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2014, 05:53:21 AM »
Do you have a way to put screens on the windows to keep out mosquitos and bugs when the windows are open?  Just curious since most I have seen don't.  Every thing else looks first rate.   Arlie