Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: The Shewmake house  (Read 8726 times)

Offline Shewmake

• Sr Member
Re: The Shewmake house
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2014, 06:11:09 AM »
Coleman is correct or at least according to the reading I did, but the main reason, coincidentally, we liked the way it looked. Thanks for the nice comments, It has been a labor of love and a true pain in the ass, as being the owner-contractor and part time foremen has worn me to a nub, but you really get the things you want. I hope all the choices turn out to be the right ones in the long run.
Here for good,
Stephen

If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month. Theodore Roosevelt

Offline wildbill

• Sr Member
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2014, 11:34:26 AM »
Very nice house..Plz continue the updates.thanks

Offline Shewmake

• Sr Member
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2014, 12:59:32 PM »
We chose Upvc windows, and yes, they are more expensive than aluminum, but the choice of window types, for us, was better. In the front of the house we are using awning types, but in the rear of the house and CR's slide up and down. The screens are pull down screens very much like a shade but in its own track. I will post a picture once they install the screens, as we don't want to install them have all the dust from construction clog them up.
Here for good,
Stephen

If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month. Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Frosty

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2014, 09:40:18 PM »
Did you have the windows costom built for your house, or were they a standard size off the shelf?

I read that some of the roofs that came apart was because of the number of screws used to hold them down was not enough. If you can't get up there and check for yourself you could ask someone you trust to take a camera up there and take pictures and check the distance between the screws.

the place looks great.

Offline JD

• Sr Member
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2014, 12:41:47 AM »
I always enjoy seeing how people build and what they build and I am sure other do as well.

I'm with Lee on this one. I really like seeing homes in progress and learning from those who have been through the experience. My wife and I are really liking that roof, too. And what a nice corner lot!

Thanks for taking the time out of your schedule to post and update us on your progress.

JD

Offline Shewmake

• Sr Member
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2014, 12:05:42 PM »
Week Twenty- I think? Just a few pics as everything is covered in dust. I will post some more pre-move in next week. Finally!
Here for good,
Stephen

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2014, 09:37:21 PM »
Stephen,

As I look over your pictures I see many details requiring design planning not normally seen in houses that are "self-built".  May I ask, did you design the house or is it a design you got from a professional design company? 

The covered eves, tile work, and granite counter tops are all beautiful!  I especially like the unusual granite in what I believe to be the CR.  Nice stuff!
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2014, 05:30:39 AM »
The house and the workmanship looks very very very nice. The one upgrade I might suggest is the backup lock on that door looks flimsy, if I am correct then possibly replace it with one of the ones like below, that is what we use in our Cebu condo and since the doors are solid wood, that should prevent the door being easily forced open.

:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline Shewmake

• Sr Member
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2014, 06:40:11 AM »
I designed the house myself, with the help of my wife- of course. Another reason to appreciate the internet, you can get ideas from all over the world, see the images, and read about how to execute them.

My wife said the same thing about that slide bolt, but it looked so nice. I am thinking about a foot bolt at the bottom and a chain pull bolt at the top if that's not over-kill.

Thank for all the observations.
Here for good,
Stephen

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2014, 07:18:52 AM »
I designed the house myself, with the help of my wife- of course. Another reason to appreciate the internet, you can get ideas from all over the world, see the images, and read about how to execute them.

My wife said the same thing about that slide bolt, but it looked so nice. I am thinking about a foot bolt at the bottom and a chain pull bolt at the top if that's not over-kill.

Thank for all the observations.

On our double front doors we have a standard lock, a dead bolt, a bottom bolt and now a top chain bolt. In front of it we have screened security gate with a padlock plus a padlock and chain. That is over-kill  :( We now cannot go out of the front door because we could not open the top bolt from outside to get back in. It has completely ruined the appearance of some very expensive carved doors. All this paranoia on security really annoys me at times, but you have to go along with it to keep the peace.

Offline Shewmake

• Sr Member
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2014, 01:55:20 PM »
Colin, I hear you about that. I have said it before, but it bears repeating. We have never had any trouble. but is that because we did over-kill on the security, or because the fear is entrenched here in the minds of most people. Anyway, another dead bolt and another beer hehe.
Here for good,
Stephen

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2014, 07:42:02 PM »
Door locks are always just a preventative tool. Just because we have never had a break in, does not mean that others have not or that we will not. Statistics say one out of how many homes are broken into? It is a matter of when or if our unlucky number may come up.

When a home has a door handle that is not locking, as I believe in the photo, then IMHO the primary lock needs to be the longer dead bolt that reaches deeper into the door frame, and then comes into question what the frame is made of. If the door frame is made of quality wood, then a longer quality made dead bolt will hold up if kicked. Next comes the secondary lock, which now becomes even more important since a person can turn the handle on the door knob taking away one resistance and then kick in the door if the dead bolt or door frame is not of good quality, so a flimsy lock IMO is never the way to go and will only be a feel good item, so while one may look nice, we have to realize what the purpose of the lock is and if we do not feel we need a lock in the first place, then why even bother to have one.

During my lifetime I have seen way too many doors kicked open, fortunately none of them has been mine because I have always had a  quality made name brand long bolt dead lock as well as a locking door knob, thus making it visually harder to kick the door in and I guess I have also been lucky since neighbors have not.

In our Cebu condo, the door and the frame are made of a very hard wood, so hard that screws heads broke off when I tried to screw them in without drilling a pilot hole first, so the back up lock I showed above is not only good as a secondary lock but also so the door can be opened a crack to talk to the person outside or let them pass something in while the lock is still engaged enough to prevent the door from being pushed in. At times when we want a breeze without leaving the door open, we leave it open a few inches using that lock with an item wedged in between the door and the frame.

I am not an expert on locks or maybe anything in life but to me a lock is there for a reason and thus I feel it needs to be of substantial quality. Now with that written, I hope none of you ever has a break in and that any lock you have will suffice.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline Missbillygoat993

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2014, 05:20:12 PM »
That would be a good size home when finished. Very nice. Some styles are same as our house simple yet  different. We like arches and are into Mediterranean style.  We hand picked and bought the materials during finishing stage. We were able to do compilation of pictures from ground breaking to finish. Google plus is a good site to compile all the pictures so you can see the chronological order. Finishing stage is the most expensive stage.
Here is the link of how we built our house, so far we have no problems yet. We didn't paint the exterior just stucco.  Less maintenance.
https://plus.google.com/app/basic/111877990812604318221?source=appredir
In a journey called LIFE...

Offline Missbillygoat993

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2014, 05:26:01 PM »
If you are looking for bolts or orger accessories may I recommend Hafele they have a warehouse at Taguig. Wilcons sells them too but if you buy straight Hafele they will give you 30%disc. They have a branch at Nuvali too. If they wont give you discoubt you can use our account to get less 30%. Even in hubs, oven, ref etc.
In a journey called LIFE...

Offline graham

• Sr Member
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2014, 02:48:23 PM »
Lee,

What I did on my front door which has a Narra wood frame, was drill past
the timber,deep into the concrete, approx 8". I then drove home a piece
of steel tube that ended up flush with the wood frame. The tongue of my
deadbolt then slid into the steel tubing nicely.

I had Janet's sister make me an aluminium (aluminum?) security door with
3 locking points, which was fitted to the outside of the front door. This allows
me to open my wooden door of a night to catch the breeze,
(we do close/lock it upon retiring to bed) without compromising our security. Altho
it is a bit of overkill as we do not have grilles on our windows.

Graham