Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: The Shewmake house  (Read 8671 times)

Offline Shewmake

• Sr Member
Re: The Shewmake house
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2014, 03:10:25 PM »
Graham, can I ask why you felt it necessary to be so thorough? I installed grilles and an extra dead bolt on exterior doors because it made sense here. The bunker mentality (fear), is ingrained into Filipino's and in many places justified- they don't trust their fellow country men. A healthy dose of paranoia is just common sense, but when at what juncture do we take feeling safe to the point where nothing we do makes us feel safe?

I love to hear your take on this.
Here for good,
Stephen

If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month. Theodore Roosevelt

Offline graham

• Sr Member
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2014, 03:43:51 PM »
LOL,

well, it's a bit of a story. The house is in the middle of family owned land. Some 30K m3.
It's the only property that's not owned by the family. I bought it off a woman who is respected here,
but didn't know it at the time. She has 3 huge sons (LOL) One is a Ranger. So, being slightly paranoid
like most foreigners I started putting in safety features from the moment I moved in.

Hence the front door lock, the security door, and the one grille on the bedroom window. They laughed
at me when they found out what I was doing, so I stopped. Even Janet (Asawa) said "no need". I wanted
a 8' block wall, not happening. I have a bamboo fence around the house, except where the seawall is. I have
2 dogs, which I think will lick people to death, don't know, as no one comes in. We go out sometimes and
 leave the windows open, with just the security door locked. Never had a problem in 7 years.

We are as reasonably friendly with our neighbours, or as friendly as you can get with Filipinos. They are all
family and are a bit scared of the sons of the original owner. I've seen them in action. I know some Forum members
will think I'm risking my life, and I'm not taking things seriously about safety. But I do, you have to live were I am
to understand. I live a relatively stress free life here without worrying myself to death about security. Personally,
I feel sorry for the people who have to live behind high walls etc., not for me living that way. Time will tell if I'm wrong I guess. 

I'm not sure if that is what you wanted to hear mate, but that was the way I understood you.

Graham

Offline hitekcountry

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2014, 03:07:53 AM »
I would agree with what Lee is saying in his reply #26.

In my experience the majority of the locking devices are only giving the illusion of security. Due to poor installation.

I just recently replaced two doors, and each had substantial good quality dead bolts, but in both cases the frame that the dead bolt was inserted into had no real strength at all. Anyone could have busted in those doors with very little effort.

When I replaced them I put in steel brackets that insure that the frame that the dead bolt catches on is every bit as strong as the dead bolt. One might call that overkill, I see it as insuring that a locking device is installed properly such that it provides  the security it was designed for and not just the illusion of security.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 10:01:43 AM by hitekcountry »

Offline Shewmake

• Sr Member
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2014, 05:46:34 AM »
Thanks.

Yeah, I agree with all three of you. I take security seriously, but not to the point of living in fear. My wife on the other hand- well . . . for love sake you have to make concessions. A few grilles and deadbolts, I can live with. The Rottweiler, that was my idea. The place we live in has a mixture of homes with little to no security, gates left open all day, to the more typical grilles on all windows, high fences and useless "door bell", dogs in cages, as I call them.
Here for good,
Stephen

If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month. Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Shewmake

• Sr Member
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2014, 06:36:46 PM »
Were are moving in this Friday the 6th. The last six months have been a haul. I have a new appreciation for wife, having almost lost her, and my life here. I don't want to bore you all with to many pictures, and will post more as we finish the outside landscaping, but the inside is 98% complete except for some drawers under the sink in the master bath. Saturday, I am sleeping in for the first time in I can't remember.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 06:38:34 PM by Shewmake »
Here for good,
Stephen

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2014, 07:05:24 PM »
Wow Stephen, it is coming along very nicely. The whole house looks great, I like that kitchen sink, it is very unique. Nice touch in the CR too, I guess those blocks are to divide the shower, great idea. It looks like you went with everything first class, that is going to be one heck of a great home to live in, now I know why you say "Here for good." Thanks for the photos, please keep them coming whenever you have new ones.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline JD

• Sr Member
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2014, 04:16:29 AM »
I love those solid doors! The arches set them apart!

JD

Offline brett4gam

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
  • A happy retired Aussie living a relaxing lifestyle
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2014, 02:13:47 PM »
Looks great!  A lot of planning and patience obviously from start to finish.

We put an Elba rangehood, electric oven and 4 burner separate gas cooktop in our condo and couldn't fault them, so much so that when we setup the new place here in Sta Rosa the boss will only put in Elba appliances.  Hope you are satisfied with them like we were.

Cheers
Brett.
I have never seen the world brighter and less prosperous.

Offline hitekcountry

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2014, 02:07:24 AM »
Very Very nice!!  THAT is a house to be proud of!! 8) Youíre not boring anyone with your pictures. Thank you for posting them.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2014, 03:21:28 AM »
Very lovely home!  You have every reason to be proud!  What kind of wood was used for the cabinets?  It goes well with the dark granite.  You should be very happy there!
Yes, more photos as you progress, please!     :)  :)
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH