Author Topic: Electrical outlet question  (Read 4328 times)

Offline rayhigh

Electrical outlet question
« on: May 15, 2014, 09:07:50 PM »
Hey all,

We are going to start putting up a mixed commercial/residential structure in Eastern Samar later this year. 

Does anyone know if I can use electrical outlets purchased in the USA and use them on a 220v system? The quality of the ones I can buy in the states seems better, if they will work on 220 without problems.

Thanks!

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
Re: Electrical outlet question
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 09:27:33 PM »
Hey all,

We are going to start putting up a mixed commercial/residential structure in Eastern Samar later this year. 

Does anyone know if I can use electrical outlets purchased in the USA and use them on a 220v system? The quality of the ones I can buy in the states seems better, if they will work on 220 without problems.

Thanks!

I doubt if there would be a problem particularly going from 110v to 220v, 220v systems draw smaller currents. The only problem you could get is if the plug/sockets are polarised i.e one pin wider than the other but they are not very common.

I would recommend that you install all US style three pin sockets and make sure all the earth pins are connected to a good earth. I installed all universal sockets and the electrician had not run any earth wires. I just caught it in time before the walls were rendered.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 10:03:12 PM »
Hey all,

Thanks!

Some electrical items such as some breaker panels are rated 110-240 but most outlets I have seen are rated only max of 125 volts, so no those will not work unless you install a 110 volt system in your home.

Any item with a switch in it will not work such as power strips, RFI etc but extension cables with plain ends on them will.

I just looked up some outlets on Homedepot.com and Lowes.com and they say the below in the ad.
 15 Amp/125 Volt Grounding

I did not check them all and some say nothing about volt, so maybe check for yourself when you have time to see if you can find any rated higher. http://www.homedepot.com/s/electrical+outlets?NCNI-5  http://www.lowes.com/
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline hitekcountry

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 06:43:40 AM »
I would have no problem using the US 125V outlets on the 220V circuits in the Philippines. Or put another way that IS what I would do. The reason you see them labeled 125V in the US is that they are the 125V standard outlet in the US.  You would never use them for a 220V circuit in the US simply to avoid confusion, not that the outlet couldnít handle the voltage.
What youíre dealing with are two factors, voltage and amperage. The voltage rating is a function of the device or wire being able to avoid shorting between the voltages. I suspect these outlets could test at well over 600V. What is more directly relevant is the amperage. Amperage is a function of the size of the conductor. Whatever circuit the outlet is connected to as long as the circuit breaker and wire are properly sized with the outlet youíre fine.

From what I saw of the outlets in the Philippines :(óAh-- the nicest way I can put it is I would avoid them.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 06:50:04 AM by hitekcountry »

Offline harry80020

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 09:27:32 PM »
American style 110 volt receptacles will work fine on Philippine 220 so long as you don't exceed the ampere rating of the receptacle, they're what the Philippinos use.  If you want top quality receptacles, see if you can find "hospital grade", but they are expensive.  In the USA plugs & receptacles have different socket configurations for the different voltage & ampere ratings of the circuit.  Even the cheapest 110 volt equipment in the USA has to be safe up to 300 volts, check the voltage rating on your light duty lamp cords, it's written on the insulation. 

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 09:36:35 PM »
I sit :D corrected, thank you hitekcountry and Harry for your corrections, I was foolishly reading the specs and knew that I had a 110 power strip blow up on me when I tried it in our Cebu condo, so I am now very gun shy to try anything which does not specifically say 220 on it. :( Thanks you both, now I know I can bring over some of my extra outlets and use them in our Cebu condo.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline Steve & Myrlita

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • Myrlita & I and all of our grandchildren.
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2014, 04:11:40 AM »
I sit :D corrected, thank you hitekcountry and Harry for your corrections, I was foolishly reading the specs and knew that I had a 110 power strip blow up on me when I tried it in our Cebu condo, so I am now very gun shy to try anything which does not specifically say 220 on it. :( Thanks you both, now I know I can bring over some of my extra outlets and use them in our Cebu condo.
Hello there my friend. If the power strip is a plain strip, it should work fine on 220v. If however, it is surge protected then it's a problem because the protector a MOV (Metal Oxide Varistor) is rated to shunt over 130-140v and thus be like a short and poof! It's designed to pop a breaker if the line exceeds 140v. You can guess what 220v will do.....God Bless...
Thank you...God Bless...
Bro Steve & Sis Myrlita
Bacolod City, PH
*** RIP MY FRIEND LEE ***
***       RIP DON H        ***

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2014, 08:09:04 AM »
Hello there my friend. If the power strip is a plain strip, it should work fine on 220v. If however, it is surge protected then it's a problem because the protector a MOV (Metal Oxide Varistor) is rated to shunt over 130-140v and thus be like a short and poof! It's designed to pop a breaker if the line exceeds 140v. You can guess what 220v will do.....God Bless...

Agreed, the ones I use are rated at 220v so not a problem.

Offline Shewmake

• Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2014, 01:05:58 PM »
We used Panasonic grounded outlets and on both homes we built, and never experience any problems. I am not sure why you would want to go to the expense of buying and shipping them here. I am not an electrician, but are the one in the states so far superior to those here?
Here for good,
Stephen

If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month. Theodore Roosevelt

Offline rayhigh

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2014, 06:39:34 PM »
We used Panasonic grounded outlets and on both homes we built, and never experience any problems. I am not sure why you would want to go to the expense of buying and shipping them here. I am not an electrician, but are the one in the states so far superior to those here?

Perhaps not.  Where can I buy quality outlets such as you mention?  Somewhere in Manila or Cebu, I imagine?  Thanks....

Offline Killjoygreg

• Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2014, 09:03:18 PM »
You can have a ground at every outlet in your home if you organize it during the building process. But if  your appliances do not have a ground connection then it is pretty pointless. Only major appliances such as fridges, stoves etc will have these ground connections.  Any electrical device  without three pin plugs has no ground. If you want real safety in your home use residual current protection.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2014, 09:30:23 PM »
I am not sure about Manila except years ago I saw some hardware stores in the malls in Makati but in Cebu City you should be able to find some at the SM Mall ACE Hardware as they usually have a decent supply of quality and also Chinese made electrical supplies, I suggest buying the quality ones if you can.

If you do not find what you want there then there is also Cebu Home & Builders http://www.cebuhomeandbuilders.com/cms.php?id_cms=6

Offline medic3500

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2014, 10:02:28 PM »
Wilcon Hardware carries a pretty decent selection of brand name imports products. Of course you will pay more for them.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2014, 02:07:26 AM »

Because as a rule electricians in the PH do not ground the systems.

I went to the hardware store to buy a new, high quality power strip for computer use.  When I found the one I wanted I noted to the sales assistant that the power cord had a three-pin grounded plug and asked if they sold a power strip with two-pin plugs as our outlets weren't grounded and only had the two-pin connection.  He grabbed a pair of pliers and pulled out the ground pin of my brand new power strip!  That's the way they do things in the PH.

If you want a grounded system in your new construction, you will need to supervise every move they make or you'll find yourself with a brand new building with no grounding of the electrical system.  Welcome to the Philippines!   :)

Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline Shewmake

• Sr Member
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2014, 05:57:31 AM »
Yes, I specified it in the construction, dito on the outlet observation, and yes, we bought ours at Wilcon, but you can get them at Home depot and Ace and DIY, I believe.
Here for good,
Stephen

If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month. Theodore Roosevelt