Author Topic: Sibonga.com or, Has anyone seen the Waffle Box?  (Read 6983 times)

Offline JD

• Sr Member
Sibonga.com or, Has anyone seen the Waffle Box?
« on: May 15, 2014, 08:24:31 AM »
Hi all,

In my readings, I've seen Sibonga.com mentioned a few times in here and I've visited that site and the site of an American mid-west company that also has developed a precast panel building technique. Has anyone here ever built a house in this manner in the Philippines?

JD

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: Sibonga.com or, Has anyone seen the Waffle Box?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 09:27:50 AM »
JD.. I`m probably wrong but after quickly browsing some of the pictures on that site I was unable to see any pre cast panels..
It looks as if they are simply replacing hollow blocks with a shuttered reinforced cement pour..
It looks very expensive to me.
Also,I definitely do not like the house designs shown on that site that to me look like hot boxes.. It seems as if they want to fight external heat with an insulation barrier only.. The roof designs as far as I can see have no efficient way to release heat with no large high level roof vents or wide eves to aid efficient roof convection and wall shading..
We have a new sub division being built here now that are using pre fab panels.. Personally in their present state, I think they look like thin cardboard boxes..
Of course,once they are painted and sealed with windows and doors,nobody will be able to tell !!
Not for me I`m afraid.
What is a "Waffle box" BTW?

« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 09:51:18 AM by fred »

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 11:03:47 AM »
When I was thinking about building here I did look at Sibonga and, as Fred said, they use poured concrete into metal forms. The idea looks interesting, but the big problem is that they have their own team of builder that bring the metal forms to your site. OK if you are near their base in Manila, but elswhere you have to pay for their transport accomodation etc. Not practical if you are on another island.

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 11:53:35 AM »
When I was thinking about building here I did look at Sibonga and, as Fred said, they use poured concrete into metal forms. The idea looks interesting, but the big problem is that they have their own team of builder that bring the metal forms to your site. OK if you are near their base in Manila, but elswhere you have to pay for their transport accomodation etc. Not practical if you are on another island.

Colin.. Yolanda was supposed to have hit us directly here but moved north instead..
My Mrs,after seeing the destruction of even reasonably constructed houses in Leyte asked me if we can build a shelter that is 100% safe..
I`m in the process of designing a 15 sqr meter structure for this purpose..
I`m thinking 6 X 40cm concrete posts in a deep foundation using 8 pcs 20mm rebar and a 5" concrete slab roof and 4" solid concrete walls!!
Im thinking about dressing the whole thing with a cogon roof and native looking walls to make it look like a native house.. or should I say..Native bomb shelter!!

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 01:10:11 PM »
JD.. I`m probably wrong but after quickly browsing some of the pictures on that site I was unable to see any pre cast panels..
We have a new sub division being built here now that are using pre fab panels.. Personally in their present state, I think they look like thin cardboard boxes..
Of course,once they are painted and sealed with windows and doors,nobody will be able to tell !!
Not for me I`m afraid.

We've lived in our pre-fabricated home built by the Ayala Corporation since 2001 and have withstood 2 hurricanes hitting us with the middle of the eye directly dead on and just suffered minor damages, debris all over the place and power lines down without power for 1 week, where as in other areas took months, especially in Manila.
The Ayala Corporation also offers a 15 yr warranty against earthquakes, which in case of any structural damage will be repaired free of change.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 01:30:38 PM by Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline FMSINC

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 03:13:36 PM »
Colin, glad it missed you but it came our way instead,

I have some 40 foot containers I use for parts storage that were left left over from our rice mill shipment the next time I'm going to sit it out in one of these

You can buy a 20 footer for around 1000 USD here

Just put down some good cement and rebar foundations and weld it directly to the rebar

Cover it with a native roof to keep it cool the metal does not rust and they are sturdy we had over 30 people sheltering in the one 40 footer we have for our rice mill canteen during the storm after all of the concrete evacuations shelters they were in were blown down

PNP is now using the container for their headquarters till they get funding to rebuild their building

Just a thought

Best Regards

Tom

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 03:18:19 PM »

Colin.. Yolanda was supposed to have hit us directly here but moved north instead..
My Mrs,after seeing the destruction of even reasonably constructed houses in Leyte asked me if we can build a shelter that is 100% safe..
I`m thinking 6 X 40cm concrete posts in a deep foundation using 8 pcs 20mm rebar and a 5" concrete slab roof and 4" solid concrete walls!!
Im thinking about dressing the whole thing with a cogon roof and native looking walls to make it look like a native house.. or should I say..Native bomb shelter!!

Fred, just a few comments. I don't know if I have misunderstood your dimensions, but a 6cm post is less the the width of a the 4” wall unless you are planning to place it the other way around which would be unusual. Instead of a 4” concrete wall I would suggest good quality 6” hollow blocks that create a solid wall when filled with cement. This would be easier to construct than a plain solid wall. You could use 4” blocks providing they are good quality and not the crumbly type. Our neighbours opposite has just been telling us that the 4” wall built 4-5 years ago is crumbling now in places.

To give you some ideas, we are having our surrounding wall built now. It uses 8” x 10” columns at 3 metre intervals with 4 x 12mm rebars wrapped with the usual loops, I believe in 8mm rebar. The infill walls are good 6” hollow blocks with 3 x 10mm vertical rebars and I believe 2 x 10mm horizontals. The foundations look fairly deep but I don't like to measure them with the workers around in case they think I am checking up on them :) We estimate the cost at around P2k per metre but that is for a wall 7 courses high plus 1 metre of wire mesh and some barbed wire on top. For your wall you could add more V and H rebar to taste.

Have you thought of a dome, ideal for storm protection but a little more difficult to build. There is a thread on them on the forum.

Colin

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2014, 05:04:27 PM »

Fred, just a few comments. I don't know if I have misunderstood your dimensions, but a 6cm post is less the the width of a the 4” wall unless you are planning to place it the other way around which would be unusual. Instead of a 4” concrete wall I would suggest good quality 6” hollow blocks that create a solid wall when filled with cement. This would be easier to construct than a plain solid wall. You could use 4” blocks providing they are good quality and not the crumbly type. Our neighbours opposite has just been telling us that the 4” wall built 4-5 years ago is crumbling now in places.

To give you some ideas, we are having our surrounding wall built now. It uses 8” x 10” columns at 3 metre intervals with 4 x 12mm rebars wrapped with the usual loops, I believe in 8mm rebar. The infill walls are good 6” hollow blocks with 3 x 10mm vertical rebars and I believe 2 x 10mm horizontals. The foundations look fairly deep but I don't like to measure them with the workers around in case they think I am checking up on them :) We estimate the cost at around P2k per metre but that is for a wall 7 courses high plus 1 metre of wire mesh and some barbed wire on top. For your wall you could add more V and H rebar to taste.

Have you thought of a dome, ideal for storm protection but a little more difficult to build. There is a thread on them on the forum.

Colin

I think you misunderstood my post dimensions Colin..  I meant 6 posts X 40 CM squared.. 8 pcs 20mm bar with 12 mm styrup rings.
Yes,I  have looked at the dome structures in the past but I never really understood where I could get a balloon that big for the form!
Your point on the 6" CHB`s taken.. I`ll think about that..
Cheers,
Fred.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 05:13:29 PM by fred »

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2014, 05:10:54 PM »
Not for me I`m afraid.

We've lived in our pre-fabricated home built by the Ayala Corporation since 2001 and have withstood 2 hurricanes hitting us with the middle of the eye directly dead on and just suffered minor damages, debris all over the place and power lines down without power for 1 week, where as in other areas took months, especially in Manila.
The Ayala Corporation also offers a 15 yr warranty against earthquakes, which in case of any structural damage will be repaired free of change.

Thats good. You should be absolutely fine then.
We may have missed the big storm but unfortunately found ourselves almost at the epicenter of the earthquake here in Bohol..
Trust me..With that kind of power right under your feet,there are no guarantees.

Offline BingColin

• Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2014, 05:30:00 PM »

I think you misunderstood my post dimensions Colin..  I meant 6 posts X 40 CM squared.. 8 pcs 20mm bar with 12 mm styrup rings.
Yes,I  have looked at the dome structures in the past but I never really understood where I could get a balloon that big for the form!
Your point on the 6" CHB`s taken.. I`ll think about that..
Cheers,
Fred.

You only need baloons for mass production. You could create the domeshape from rebar, wrap it in plastic sheet, render the inside, remove the plastic and render the outside. If you did have a balloon maybe you could set up a business selling storm shelters  ;D

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2014, 05:56:55 PM »
Ah!! Thats a good idea...Didnt think about plastic..
Cheers,
Fred.

Offline JD

• Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2014, 04:59:48 AM »

What is a "Waffle box" BTW?

Thanks for the reply, Fred. "Waffle Box" is what Sibonga.com is calling their  building technique.

JD

Offline JD

• Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2014, 05:08:54 AM »

Thanks for the reply, Colin.

I wondered about that form transportation point as well.

JD

Offline JD

• Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2014, 05:11:40 AM »
Thanks for the replies, everyone. I think I'll abandon this "should work" idea in favor of something that I know already "does work".

Thanks again.

JD