Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats
Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Forum meet up  (Read 50777 times)

Offline coleman2347

• ole jarhead, Tacloban City, Leyte
  • Sr Member
  • Retired Marine, Retired DOD
Forum meet up
« on: August 30, 2014, 05:13:58 PM »
Maline just read all of this and she said dont they know its the Filipino way we dont have problems with that...she was kidding...then she said why dont all you and all your friends on this forum have a reunion, all you should meet, which is not a bad idea
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 07:06:28 PM by Diba »
The only thing worse than wanting to do it is not doing it

Offline graham

• Sr Member
Forum meet up
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 05:45:40 PM »
Oh boy,

These Filipina's know how to start a discussion!!! OK, I'm
being a bit pedantic but, it can't be a reunion as most of us
have never met. Nevertheless, if members are interested, the
next thing I predict is, where the heck are we gong to meet?
Your place, my place, his place her place????? Does Maline
really know what she is starting??  ???  :o

A veritable confusion of posts! But .... I like the idea. The logistics
would be huge, but not insurmountable. Maybe we could have a
seperate section for the people who would like to attend and put
their name down. Then would come the discussion of "where" that
would be the most interesting bit I would imagine. Maybe other
members will throw out their ideas? Not to forget "when"!!!

Graham
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 07:06:48 PM by Diba »

Offline coleman2347

• Sr Member
Forum meet up
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 05:56:53 PM »
ok, from what I know, and think, Cebu would be the center of the logistics, which is good as they have flights from everywhere there. as to when it would be hard but i think doable....lets start a topic, i dont know where, so we can get together, have to make allowances for those that dont live here full time....as it still cost mucho to fly here...for the members here it would be fairly easy but for me I would like to meet such notables as Jack etc.  what do you think
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 07:07:03 PM by Diba »

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
Re: Forum meet up
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 07:25:21 PM »
Sounds good to me.

Chuck
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 08:31:05 PM »
Cebu meetup would be great for us. :) We are in Cebu from early to mid Feb the latest, depending on flights availability and prices, and we stay until sometime in May, so an end of Feb, anytime in March or April meetup would be great with us, should that work for others, and if you can wait that long, and of course if you guys even want to meet up with this pain in the arse, :P then we would just need some advance notice as next year we will also be spending some time in Mindanao visiting some of Nila's family. It would be great for us to meet you all!
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline medic3500

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2014, 08:57:15 PM »
Kinda hard for Jack to do the meet up he is still on the opposite side of the pond.

The meet up is a great thing. One of the other groups I'm in has already done it once and has another scheduled for this coming 20-21 Sept. at 100 Islands. First one drew about 15 people from all over Luzon and the second is looking to have up to 50 attendees.

For some money is an issue and some of us have spouses that work full time so logistics of everyone getting the same dates off is almost a nightmare.

Offline coleman2347

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2014, 10:17:58 PM »
Im game, what do the folks here think about Cebu...lodging, cool places and central for most of us...as for the date, unless there is a emergency, we are good for anytime..Im retired and Maline can get away...I usually fly from Cebu anyway as Tacloban is a 30 min flight from here.  As far as I know from Tacloban, only Manila and Cebu are options...for flying.  Personally i think its a great idea, does anybody know when Jack is availible, haha Im sure he will read this so he can answer ....Diba your invited also, even if your a boot hehe...its up to us

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2014, 11:35:49 PM »
As long as we keep it an open-ended gathering, I'm game.  My largest problem is I don't know when my next visit will be. 

I agree with Cebu as it's centrally located.  I'd also suggest that we agree to have more than one.  That way if some can't make the first, then they can attend the second and so on.  Sort of a semi-regular meeting of the minds.  As for places to stay, I see no reason for us to all stay in one place as some have condos while others will be coming from out of town.  But setting up a good gathering place is always a good idea.  I like the idea of meeting up at one of the local malls and going form there to the resto of choice for the day/evening. 

We'll keep this thread open so that whenever a group of any size decides it's time, they can post it here and others who are available can jump in. 

One request I will make is that any time a group gathers, take a photo or two and post it here in this thread.  It will serve as an incentive for others to join the next gathering.

I promise all this, the next time I come over for a visit, Cebu is on my short list!  I'll look forward to seeing whoever can come during that visit.  If it's anything like the times Dan and I met, I'm certain it will be fun!   :)

Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline coleman2347

• Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2014, 01:12:18 AM »
Thank you coleman and I thought I was hated by all.  :-* This can be a tough crowd some of the time.  ;)
Dont be a shiela, put your big boy pants on

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2014, 01:22:29 AM »
It would be great if you could be there Jack but I am sure we all understand if you cannot make it and I understand if my time frame does not fit in with when the others would wish to have the meetup.

:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline medic3500

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2014, 06:34:53 AM »
Something to ponder about locations. It might be worthy to consider a small resort of sorts and work a deal with the owner as what happened at 100 Islands for the other group I'm in. He can accommodate what we send and has blocked those two days for the group function. They will also provide evening buffet and breakfast buffet. 750php per head includes room, both meals and use of facilities for the day. All the owner has requested is guaranteed deposit since he has closed the place for those two days. If I'm not mistaken I think the individual making the arrangements is the owner or at least a close relative of the owner. I would think there is someone on here that has those types connections. It's a win win for all the the owner as he gets near full occupancy for those days and if it it off season great business for him. For the group everyone stays in one central location.

Offline coleman2347

• Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2014, 10:06:46 AM »
im for cebu for all the above reasons

Offline blindman

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2014, 10:44:49 AM »
I hope I am able to be there for this reunion to meet you guys, ladies too!

Mike
Mike........

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2014, 11:34:11 PM »
It would be great if you could be there Jack but I am sure we all understand if you cannot make it and I understand if my time frame does not fit in with when the others would wish to have the meetup.

That's why I suggested we set up more than one.  Make it a semi-regular gathering once every 3 or 4 months.  That would give those of us who don't live there full time a chance to make at least one of the gatherings. 

The dates don't need to be carved in stone, just a tentative time.  Then when a few can gather, they set a place and time here so others can make arrangements.  I also like Dan's suggestion that we pick a small resort as the central meeting place.  I'm sure that we can get some deals along the way to make it worthwhile for all, even those who plan to attend only as a day trip and not an over-nighter. 
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline coleman2347

• Sr Member
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2014, 08:07:34 AM »
for those that do not live here..post the time frame that you "expect" to be here next, lets see what overlaps