Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Need to know the best way to get my girlfriend or wife to the U.S  (Read 10155 times)

Offline 81Harley

I am retired and dont have much money. I do not think the U.S will issue me a fiancee visa. Very difficult now. Currently living in the Philippines. I have heard that if I get married in Malasia to my Philippine girlfriend it will be fast and easy to get her to the U.S. Does anyone know the best way to get her to the U.S? Thank you
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 12:45:03 PM by 81Harley »

Offline coleman2347

• ole jarhead, Tacloban City, Leyte
  • Sr Member
  • Retired Marine, Retired DOD
Re: Need to know the best way to get my girlfriend or wife to the U.S
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 01:06:34 PM »
Why Malaysia, its not too hard to get married here. You dont say where you are?  You have to have a paper from consulate or embassy stating your eligible to marry.  Then a class on being married.  One thing, if you do get married make sure your gf has her passport before you do or she has to go to Cebu or Manila and and get something called a CFO...From what I know there is no fast easy way to get her to the states.  There is a bunch of information on this forum about getting married.
Read this posted by Gray Wolf a while ago 
http://www.visajourney.com/

If Im miss understanding something let me know...several here have overcome the same kind of problems
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 09:27:55 PM by Gray Wolf »
The only thing worse than wanting to do it is not doing it

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 08:06:28 PM »
I am retired and dont have much money. I do not think the U.S will issue me a fiancee visa. Very difficult now. Currently living in the Philippines. I have heard that if I get married in Malasia to my Philippine girlfriend it will be fast and easy to get her to the U.S. Does anyone know the best way to get her to the U.S? Thank you

One way would be to get a cosponsor to meet the financial requirements.

Once married and you having lived in the Philippines over 6 months and are able to prove it, then you could go for a direct consular filing at the US embassy which I have been told is now running between 4 and 8 weeks to get but I believe you still have to meet the financial requirement as one of the items needed is an Affidavit of Support (Form I-864), and then a Police Certificate, Birth Certificate, Previous Divorce Records,  and possibly others that I may not be aware of.

IMO getting married in another country may only increase the wait time, keeping it simple is usually the best way.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 09:31:05 PM »
For starters, the procedures are briefly explained here:
http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwhlove.html
LOVE AND MARRIAGE AND IMMIGRATION

IR1/CR1 Visas are immigrant visas issued to foreign spouses of U.S. Citizens
http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/IR1_and_CR1_Immigrant_Visas
IR1 and CR1 Immigrant Visas

« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 09:39:57 PM by Art, just a re(tired) Fil/Am »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 09:40:33 PM »

It's easy to say it's easy, but that would be misleading.  It's not difficult, but it's also not what I would call easy.   You have to make certain you follow the steps laid out in the link provided 
( http://www.visajourney.com/ )  It requires that everything be proper and legal and that minimal requirements are met. 

I know of several guys who married in the Philippines but were not able to return home with their new wives.  If you already know you don't fulfill all the requirements, save yourself the trouble.  Find another way to live happily that doesn't involve you going back to the US with your wife.  There is no "trick" way, no loopholes.

Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline 81Harley

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2014, 10:20:00 AM »
Thank yoy all for your help. I have lived in the Philippines for 6 months. Don't think I meet the financial rules. I might have a better chance of getting her to the US if we are married. Thank you again.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2014, 12:41:12 AM »
Thank yoy all for your help. I have lived in the Philippines for 6 months. Don't think I meet the financial rules. I might have a better chance of getting her to the US if we are married. Thank you again.

The same financial guidelines apply to those who want to bring in a wife as those who want to bring in a fiance.  The minimum income for 2014 is $19,662.

It is possible to get a co-sponsor.  Be aware that the co-sponsor must have enough income/assets for both your fiance/wife, any children that will be immigrating, and his/her own household. However, the consulate can still deny the visa based on the likelihood that the foreign fiance/wife will become a public charge. Just having a co-sponsor may not be sufficient.  An actual case has been documented wherein a fiance visa was denied because the petitioning fiance was on government benefits and would not be working, even though the US fiance had two co-sponsors.

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2014, 12:45:25 PM »
When I was in Calbayog City to get my visa renewed a couple months ago, I ran into a fellow American there.  He told me that the pinoy are so screwed up that most workers in the system don't know their own rules.  He told me he refused to get a fiance visa or anything like it for his girl.  For 5 years now he just gets a visitor's/general visa for his girl to bring her to Texas. 
He said the first time took him a week of going to the US Embassy daily and moving up the ranks till he got someone who knew the actual rules and gave them the OK.  Now every time she goes over it's just on that type of visa.  He said he can marry her anytime he wishes in the US and the Phils would have to recognize it and she never needs to go to any classes or anything.  But, he does have to sponsor her and prove he has that capability.  That's all.
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2014, 01:42:55 PM »
Yup! A tourist visa to the U.S. for the girlfriend is possible, but it's still a hit and miss kind of a deal and will take many hoops to jump through!
Check out these links about this topic/issue about tourist visas:  http://tinyurl.com/qzjz522
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2014, 10:00:51 PM »
I keep hearing how tourist visas are possible yet I know of even married people with homes and businesses in the Philippines who have not been able to get a tourist visa for their wife to go to the states, how much harder for a gf. One guy I know wife has tried 3 times and was denied all three times and his wife has assets in her name, has children to come back to and a home in her name. I feel a tourist visa will be more miss than hit.

On top of that if it is the op's wish to bring her over permanently then filing a false visa might cause them problems in the future.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2014, 12:51:50 AM »
To obtain a tourist visa for the US follow the instructions on this website link:

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/visit/visitor.html

She must have a Philippine Passport before anything else is started.  Then you need to complete Form DS-160 and schedule an appointment at the US Embassy.  Photos are required as is a $160 fee. 

Good luck!   :)

Offline UNGGOY

• BANNED for insulting members
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2018, 07:23:53 AM »
One way would be to get a cosponsor to meet the financial requirements.

Once married and you having lived in the Philippines over 6 months and are able to prove it, then you could go for a direct consular filing at the US embassy which I have been told is now running between 4 and 8 weeks to get but I believe you still have to meet the financial requirement as one of the items needed is an Affidavit of Support (Form I-864), and then a Police Certificate, Birth Certificate, Previous Divorce Records,  and possibly others that I may not be aware of.

IMO getting married in another country may only increase the wait time, keeping it simple is usually the best way.

Last I was there a regular ACR was good enough. No time limit. Just tourist.

Co-sponsor is easy. I had a friend do it. I am poor as hell too. Churches can do it. Friends, family, anyone. The co-sponsor is just to promise they will be sued if she receives welfare benefits, which she will be exempt from for 5 years anyway. And, in practice, states never sue to get back benefits. Also, if you are(sponsor) a Veteran, many state exempt the 5 year rule.
This member has been BANNED for repeatedly insulting other members.

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2018, 08:48:16 AM »
Here is a completely legal "shortcut" through the red tape that exists in the system.  (Completely legal on the USA side at least, not 100% sure on the Pinoy side). 

Anyway, there is no law against any foreigner on a tourist visa(B-1/B-2 visa) getting married in the USA while on their vacation/trip.  In fact, there is no law against someone planning such a trip for that reason.  I wouldn't suggest you tell the people at the US Embassy that though when applying for it. 

A legal marriage in the USA to a foreign national is legal and binding.  Makes the process for getting a F-1(family/asawa) visa that much easier.  I talked to a guy recently after looking into this about his doing it.  He stated that he just got his fiance a B-1 visa.  Took 2 visits to the US Embassy to do it.  First time was a learning experience, the 2nd time went smooth and she was approved.  Went to the US with her, married her, and then applied for the F-1 visa. 

He said there was no effort made to change her visa while in the USA.  He said he was told the immigration department does not look too kindly on it, despite the fact that it's legal.  So he brought his new wife back to her home country while the application finished.  Said it was done much faster, and smoother than if he went through the process in his new wife's country where there is a lot the local government would have made her do. 

The US visa is granted by the US government.  A legal US marriage will go a lot further and save time than some marriage in a foreign country. 

In the end it might be a touch more expensive, but it'll give you a chance to get your future wife into your country if for nothing else a vacation, if not for a look at her future home, and smooth out all the background checks/financial investigations and the rest that could go on in the Philippines. 

Offline UNGGOY

• BANNED for insulting members
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2018, 09:33:22 AM »
Here is a completely legal "shortcut" through the red tape that exists in the system.  (Completely legal on the USA side at least, not 100% sure on the Pinoy side). 

Anyway, there is no law against any foreigner on a tourist visa(B-1/B-2 visa) getting married in the USA while on their vacation/trip.  In fact, there is no law against someone planning such a trip for that reason.  I wouldn't suggest you tell the people at the US Embassy that though when applying for it. 

A legal marriage in the USA to a foreign national is legal and binding.  Makes the process for getting a F-1(family/asawa) visa that much easier.  I talked to a guy recently after looking into this about his doing it.  He stated that he just got his fiance a B-1 visa.  Took 2 visits to the US Embassy to do it.  First time was a learning experience, the 2nd time went smooth and she was approved.  Went to the US with her, married her, and then applied for the F-1 visa. 

He said there was no effort made to change her visa while in the USA.  He said he was told the immigration department does not look too kindly on it, despite the fact that it's legal.  So he brought his new wife back to her home country while the application finished.  Said it was done much faster, and smoother than if he went through the process in his new wife's country where there is a lot the local government would have made her do. 

The US visa is granted by the US government.  A legal US marriage will go a lot further and save time than some marriage in a foreign country. 

In the end it might be a touch more expensive, but it'll give you a chance to get your future wife into your country if for nothing else a vacation, if not for a look at her future home, and smooth out all the background checks/financial investigations and the rest that could go on in the Philippines.

"Shortcut"? Getting your fiancee a Business Visa and converting to Student Visa not only is illegal, but sounds way harder than getting a Spousal Visa.

Getting married in the Philippines is not hard. It costs like $3 and take a half hour maybe. There is only a week wait for the license.

The Spouse Visa takes like 3 months.

I cannot imagine a Business Visa and Student Visa being quicker?...
This member has been BANNED for repeatedly insulting other members.

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2018, 03:57:57 PM »
"Shortcut"? Getting your fiancee a Business Visa and converting to Student Visa not only is illegal, but sounds way harder than getting a Spousal Visa.

Getting married in the Philippines is not hard. It costs like $3 and take a half hour maybe. There is only a week wait for the license.

The Spouse Visa takes like 3 months.

I cannot imagine a Business Visa and Student Visa being quicker?...
B-1/B-2 are classified under same setup.  One is for business, the other tourist.  Went through this already with Tina so we can go this summer.  Anyway, when you are applying, doing interview, they are both seen as same.  So the B-2 tourist visa is probably the easiest visa to get her. 
Then, just google "can I get married in the USA on a tourist/visitors visa".  There are a lot of sites you can go to.  Simply, the answer is yes.  And there is NO laws to stand in your way to do so.  That's it.  Now, where some issues will come in is if you are trying to change the visa you went there on(B-2) into an IR1/CR1 visa.  not an F1.  Was going from memory and was wrong on the type.  Anyway, there are sites to tell you what to do and not do.  Some simply state return to her country on current B-2 visa.  But either before you go start the paperwork for the IR1/CR1 visa or start it immediately after you return. 
But a good number of those sites tell you how you an even stay and get it most likely changed in the USA with no need to return.  But for those you need to obey the 30-60 rule and basically not marry nor ask for change in visa type inside those days.  The reasons are given on those sites for it.  Pretty common sense stuff. 
So anyway, this is what Tina and I are going through now and leaving in the summer for the USA to complete it.  Will tell you all how it turns out.