Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Southern Leyte, Cabalian  (Read 2585 times)

Offline coleman2347

• ole jarhead, Tacloban City, Leyte
  • Sr Member
  • Retired Marine, Retired DOD
Southern Leyte, Cabalian
« on: October 20, 2014, 08:17:02 AM »
I just got back from a pleasant trip to Southern Leyte.  Which turned out to be a surprise to me as I originally thought we were going to Biliran Island.  Just another of those mis-comunications that happen here.

We took the national hwy. south from Tacloban City to almost southern tip of Leyte.
From Tacloban to Abuyog its business as usual, traffic, pede cabs, people and kids in the middle of the road, caution is advised.  In south Abuyog you make a turn off to head to the east coast of southern Leyte and thats when the magic happens...

No longer are the houses built right up to the road, no longer are there jeepneys, pede cabs people in the road etc.
No longer is there garbage and junk piled up beside the road...

The place is actually clean, the houses are usually well taken care of, and set back from the road so people can actually walk on the side of the road instead of in the middle of the hwy.  The people are noticeably more friendly, and polite.  You have to cross a couple of mountains and the roads are in great shape..once you come out of the mountains you are on the east coast of Southern Leyte, beautiful scenery good roads and very little traffic. 

Our destination was Cabalian, a small town close to St. Bernard on the map, which some might remember as the site of the major landslide a few years ago. 

The whole of the trip, I was amazed at the cleanliness of the place, I was also amazed at the fact there were no pede cabs (which are my personal dislike when driving) and very few jeepneys.  Most of the public transportation is done by trike and the drivers, unlike here are very polite.

Cabalian is an extremely small town, we could not find a restaurant but there was the usual roasted pork and chicken stands.  We stayed at a small hotel called "Tops" and the rooms though small were clean, comfortable and had American style cr's complete with hot water..

On Saturday we had a pick nick at the beach, entrance fee one peso, rent for a cabana 150p, about 10 mtrs. from the ocean.   The beaches are clean but rocky not white sand.   The water is crystal clear. 

The entire area is surrounded by mountains, giving the effect of a bowl, from where we were, Surigo and Mindanao are only a few clicks to the south. 

It was a very pleasant trip, a couple of things stood out besides the stuff I described above.
Here in Tacloban, even though there are more forgn.'s living here you still get stared at a lot of the time, there it never happened.  I dont know if its because the people are more polite or they just dont care. 
The entire Southern Leyte is considered a no smoking area, you cant smoke walking down the street and are not suppose to in any establishment, however we were close to a karaoke bar, and could smoke there, and also in our cabana at the beach.  We could not smoke in out hotel, but my friends house was just across the street so I just walked over and smoked on his porch.

My take on the whole place is that it would be a great place to live if you could do without the malls etc.  I saw a lot of business opportunity as there seemed that there was a need for things like restaurants etc.

I plan on going back and exploring a lot more...
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 08:30:33 AM by coleman2347 »
The only thing worse than wanting to do it is not doing it

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
Re: Southern Leyte, Cabalian
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 08:42:06 AM »
We never been there to Leyte. Which is it Lee?

Abuyog:  http://tinyurl.com/ob4x3xg  or Cabalian: http://tinyurl.com/oevezqr

Probably neither nor, since you mentioned the place where you went was clean!
Good that you had a pleasant trip!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 08:47:14 AM by Art, just a re(tired) Fil/Am »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline coleman2347

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 08:53:15 AM »
Art, where we went is Cabalian, in Southern Leyte, Abuyog is just where you turn off to get to Cabalian..and is not considered to be Southern Leyte...Im not sure but I think Southern Leyte has a different governing body than northern Leyte

Offline blindman

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 07:00:15 PM »
I read this with great interest, Lee.  I hope to visit this place.
Mike........

Offline paulgee

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 10:26:38 PM »
Very interesting write-up Lee, thanks. One day in the future (sigh) I hope to be able to travel throughout the Philippines to find out such things as you wrote about.
Based in the UK, and part time in our San Fernando, Pampanga house

Offline cvgtpc1

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 04:00:20 AM »
Cabalian is an extremely small town, we could not find a restaurant but there was the usual roasted pork and chicken stands.  We stayed at a small hotel called "Tops" and the rooms though small were clean, comfortable and had American style cr's complete with hot water..

How did you find the hotel?  I guess from your friend that lives there.  I'd be afraid I'd drive all that way and it'd be booked up...wonder if that happens.

Offline coleman2347

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 07:16:34 AM »

How did you find the hotel?  I guess from your friend that lives there.  I'd be afraid I'd drive all that way and it'd be booked up...wonder if that happens.

Thats exactly how I found it, seems that its owned by and American and his wife who works for the judicial system there.
Its not hard to find though, when you come into town, and see the terminal (bus) turn right and it has a big sign, red letters on white background that says "Tops"  there is also room to park your car off the street behind the fence.