Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats
Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Whale Sharks Donsol  (Read 1836 times)

Offline jjcabgou

• Sr Member
Whale Sharks Donsol
« on: May 15, 2015, 02:57:49 PM »
Our road trip to Bicol is ending today with a bang.   If any of you ever get a chance to go swimming with the Whale Sharks in Donsol..... I HIGHLY recommend it, it was an incredible experience

Offline Majal

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: Whale Sharks Donsol
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2015, 06:34:51 AM »
Where else in Bicol did you go from Donsol? Did you checked out Mayon? Misibis Bay? Bulusan Lake? I'm from Sorsogon City. If you pass the Sorsogon City on your road trip you pass through my Ancestral home.  I'd been to the Whale Shark trip but I "chicken out" ..... not for me. One of my niece 10 years old did it ... :o!

Offline conchydong

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 08:23:43 AM »
My wife, along with her remaining siblings inherited 15 hectares of land near Balatan in Bicol. Since most of her family are all in the US and somewhat successful, most of the family members do not have any interest in the property except for one sister who refuses to sell as a group. That leaves the problem of new surveys and subdividing the land, hiring Lawers etc. etc., and no one is motivated to do so.

Presently there are quite a few squatters on the land farming and raising pigs. One of the squatters has been deemed the unofficial "mayor" of the land. He does harvest rice and gives some of the rice to a cousin of my wife as a minimal compensation. Funny thing is through the grapevine, I was told that this person is a fairly high ranking officer with the NPA, but went I went there with my wife and met his family, I was treated with the upmost respect. Maybe because he is living for free or Kanos aren't their primary concern? I was impressed by the hospitality provided given their limited means.
This area is just a bit north of Donsal but due to it's remoteness I have no desire to build or live there. I have ideas for the land but I choose not to get mixed up in my wife's family issues and related drama.

Sorry to stray off topic but swimming with the Whale sharks would be a lot of fun. In Florida, I have seen them a few times but never swam with them as I was fishing for the Cobias that you almost always find with them. I have a sister in law that is from Sorsogon and she is currently building a new house there and has invited us over once it is completed, so perhaps, I will get to swim with the Whale Sharks at some point in my future.

Offline jjcabgou

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2015, 06:44:34 PM »
Where else in Bicol did you go from Donsol? Did you checked out Mayon? Misibis Bay? Bulusan Lake? I'm from Sorsogon City. If you pass the Sorsogon City on your road trip you pass through my Ancestral home.  I'd been to the Whale Shark trip but I "chicken out" ..... not for me. One of my niece 10 years old did it ... :o!
Yes we went to Mt Mayon as well, we took 4x4's up to as close as you can get.  Most of the time was spent in Legaspi and Donsol; 6 of us went and we had an awesome time.  I was really impressed with Bicol (had sili ice cream as well).
We are going back again next year just to do the whale shark swim again, and will explore some different places as well

Offline Majal

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2015, 08:34:24 PM »
Yes we went to Mt Mayon as well, we took 4x4's up to as close as you can get.  Most of the time was spent in Legaspi and Donsol; 6 of us went and we had an awesome time.  I was really impressed with Bicol (had sili ice cream as well).
We are going back again next year just to do the whale shark swim again, and will explore some different places as well

Cool! you just never know maybe my vacation lines up with you guys....and maybe you guys can stop by at our place....