Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats
Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: PC Gamers  (Read 14224 times)

Offline rainymike

• Sr Member
PC Gamers
« on: December 31, 2007, 05:04:24 AM »
I\'ve played Lineage II for a couple of years now and have made friends from all over the world as a result. Recently, the company making Lineage sold a franchise to a Filipino company and they now host the game for the RP, Malaysia, and Singapore from the Phils.

Any other pc gamers out there? (I\'m a nerd what can I say?). Although I can\'t play on the Southeast Asian servers until I move to the RP, I wouldn\'t mind getting to know other gamers.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: PC Gamers
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 05:22:04 AM »
Mike,

I\'m a PC gamer, although all of my gaming is with a paramilitary group.  I like to relieve my stress by killing insurgents a few nights each week.  Nothing relieves stress like gutting someone with your bayonet.   ;D

Can you send me a link to the website for Lineage II?  I\'ll check it out, as I intend to continue my late night gaming when I relocate and may need someone like you to keep me sane, or as close to sane as I can get.  Ha!

Gamer Jack
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 06:51:20 AM »
I only play Age of Empires against the computer at the moment, and cheat if i am loosing  :) . I have thought of trying some of these online games, but wonder if the internet links here are fast enough. I use SmartBro, which is the most readily available, and it can get very slow at times.

Colin

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 08:17:11 AM »
Yeah, that can be a problem.  I\'m on a broadband connection here with 10mps connection and still I lag at times.  I may not be able to play my Joint Ops game \"over there\".  But by the time I move, it may not be something I play anyway.  We\'ll see.

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 08:48:58 AM »
Colin,

I also play the same type of games against the computer. Empire Earth, Age of Empires, all the Command & Conquer/ Red Alert series. Just finished Age of Mythology (great fun) and now onto World in Conflict ( Jack - you would LOVE this) Russia invades USA - tank battles, air support, artillery strikes, snipers - YEEHAA!

If anyone can recommend other titles in this genre please let me know. I also like games that require problem solving as part of the action, like Resident Evil, Silent Hill etc.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 09:06:31 AM »
Keith,

Yeah, man, now you\'re talking my language!   ;D  I was a sniper in Viet Nam and I love playing against guys who have no idea about what it\'s all about in real life.  I have some of them scratching their heads and wondering about me, I\'m sure.  But it\'s all in fun.  We have as much fun with each other as a bunch of grade school kids!  I\'ve met some of my fellow gamers in real life and they are all great guys.  Most of them are ex military and enjoy playing the game to relive their youth.  The best thing about this is you don\'t really bleed.  Ha! 

I\'ll have to check out some of the games you guys enjoy.  Maybe I can find another outlet for my frustrations.   :D

Jack 

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007, 09:39:15 AM »
Keith,

I have played Empire Earth and Age of Mythology but have not yet tried the Command & Conquer series. Another similar one that I have got but not yet tried is Company of Heroes. For some light relief try Rollercoaster Tycoon, my daughter has really got hooked on that one.
I also enjoy MS Flight Sim. I have flown all around Manila Bay, but I have had trouble landing a 747 on Puerto Princesa runway  :(

Colin

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2007, 09:53:04 AM »
Guys,

You must try World in Conflict then, Jack. Bigger picture stuff, running a whole battlefield scenario but its great calling in carpet bombing or napalm - as a British comedian once said about solving \'issues\' ...Round them all up, put em in a field and BOMB THE B**TARDS!  - Kenny Everet.

Colin, you will definitely enjoy Command  & Conquer 3 \'Tiberium Wars -Kane Edition\'. Same game engine but futuristic weapons to EE or AOE.

Offline rainymike

• Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2007, 10:10:27 AM »
For solo games, I really enjoy Hearts of Iron, a strategy WW II game. You control one nation and it\'s pretty historical with WWII events. But it does have some bugs in it.

For multiplayer games, I like Lineage because of the graphics. It was developed in Korea and is very popular there and other countries in Asia. In Lineage, you select a character and spend lots of hours developing it, collecting money, and trading for better gear. The neat thing about the game are the weekend sieges, when you and your clanmates attack or protect a castle. In heavily populated servers, its not unusual to have a couple hundred people fighting it out for a castle. Graphics are superb and combat is a lot of fun -- once you have developed a good character and in a decent clan. It\'s a huge game to download.

L2 for Americans/Europeans has a monthly fee. L2 SEA is still in beta and free, but lower fees will eventually kick in.

Anyway, if interested, here are the links to Lineage II for North America and its Southeast Asian counterpart:

NorthAm:  http://www.lineage2.com/

SouthEastAsia: http://lineage2.ph/

There is a forum for this game at: http://www.l2guru.com/forum/

You will find a lot of posts there and videos of gameplay if you want a preview. You will notice that a lot of the players are really serious about this game ... lol.

Whew ... I\'m glad I\'m not the only computer nerd here ... lol

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2007, 10:25:30 AM »
Mike,

I got into gaming when my son in law gave me my 1st First Person Shooter game, Joint Ops.  You can play solo, but it\'s more fun with a clan of players who all know each other.  I played tonight for a while in between posting here.  My high score tonight, by the way, was 238 kills.  One shot per kill!  This ol\' country boy can shoot, even on a computer.  Ha!  I\'ve upgraded my game 7 times and currently play on level 29 of a 50 level game portal called International Conflict.   Some of these boys do nothing but play all day.  I can\'t waste that much time, but I do enjoy getting online and talking with my fellow clan members while we work a mission.  Some of the missions are very long and require hours to complete.  We do it all on there.  Parachute into enemy territory, locate ammo dumps and communications dishes and destroy them, all the while trying not to get killed by enemy forces who inhabit the territory.  We even have matches from time to time where we invite other clans to take us on.  Then we\'re working against other live players from all over the world.  Lots of fun!

Jack

Offline rainymike

• Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2008, 03:12:56 AM »
I think when I finally retire, I\'ll try to devote a few hours daily to play games. Yeah it is fun playing with an international community, but playing with the younger crowd helps keep me young...although I eventually find a handful of us older types actively playing. And I\'ve made good friends. LOL ... was recently invited to Singapore to a clanmates wedding.

Maybe once this board gets populated with members, there will be enough people playing some common games for a LIP clan ... lol.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2008, 03:58:22 AM »
Yeah, that would be fun!  I need to make sure I can get the best internet connection available.  Maybe they\'ll discover something new in the next 4 years.  I don\'t seem to have much of a choice in the Vigan area, where we plan to settle.  But, Like I said, there is a few years to go.  They could come a long way in another 3 - 4 years.  We\'ll probably all be getting everything available via satellite by then.   ;D  Let\'s hope!  Ha!

See ya!

Jack   

Offline Miss August

• Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2009, 12:57:45 AM »
<---- Retired EQ and WoW gamer.  ;)
? Live Well. Laugh Often. Love Much. ?

Offline jamesmusslewhite

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2009, 12:57:59 AM »
Blizzards Diablo 2, Half-Life, and (two accounts) WOW so my son and I can play together.
Some say wonder why? Others say why wonder?
Some say the glass is half full. Others say the glass is half empty.

I wonder why that damn glass is twice as big as it needs to be !!!

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2009, 07:03:14 AM »
Blizzards Diablo 2, Half-Life, and (two accounts) WOW so my son and I can play together.

Im waiting for DIablo III and have been for years !
I do have 2 beta invite cards from Blizzcon 08 but already used the mount codes for my raiders...

If you are into Role Playing Games... there was a $15 monthly Dungeons and Dragons... that just last month became FREE TO PLAY !

at http://www.ddo.com

You can play from Philippines ... but you NEED to have someone in USA create the initial account for you ! But it plays 100% fine in any country...

They work like local games now - its FREE but you can buy things such as better weapons, stat boosters, etc with real money...  Just again - someone from USA must log in and make the actual purchase for you.... remote desktop works fine for this also..
I have seen so much conflict while in the Philippines - amazingly 99% of it was merely online computer experiences :D