Author Topic: Baguio  (Read 1684 times)

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
Baguio
« on: September 28, 2015, 08:17:10 PM »
We just met up with a friend in from the USA and his pinay GF for the weekend in Baguio.  We all stayed at the Microtel, decent accommodations and price.  Also the Victory liner terminal is right next to the Hotel, very convenient if you take the bus. The hotel as has a restaurant/bar attached.  We shared a taxi for touring for 2 days.  Saw most of the sites in the area.  Loved the weather mid to high 70s during the day and 60s at night.  We used the Joybus from Cubao in Manila on Friday morning(2 am dep) 4 hour trip.  Luckily are room was available at 6 am that morning.  Return trip was on Sunday(3 pm dep) 5 hour trip.  Recommend a trip to anyone that has not been before.

Chuck
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

Offline coleman2347

• ole jarhead, Tacloban City, Leyte
  • Sr Member
  • Retired Marine, Retired DOD
Re: Baguio
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 08:58:26 PM »
Sounds like a great trip, we've never been there but its on the list, especially if we move to the Pampanga area
The only thing worse than wanting to do it is not doing it

Offline cvgtpc1

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 08:08:22 AM »
Last there Oct 84, would be interesting to see it again.  Was like going home as it reminded me of going to Gatlinburg, TN/The Smoky Mountains.

Wife and I went horseback riding, hers about ran off the mountain.  Mine was so emaciated I'm surprised it could carry me and I was still a skinny guy then lol

Offline Travelling Bob

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 12:02:24 PM »
Great place, last there 2010. Amazing the houses build up and over the hills. Very winding road too with steep drop off.

Offline starrt

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 05:30:41 PM »
Chuck,

Sounds like you had a good time in Baguio.

I enjoy going there and walking around Camp John Hay around The Manor. Some of my favourite places to eat are Cafe By The Ruins and Forest House Bistro. I also enjoy strolling around Burnham Park.

The overnight bus from Manila is not too bad. Victory Liner has a so called Express which you need to pay extra for, but the time saved and the extra space on the bus, with more comfortable seating, is worth it.

And the drop in temperature, compared to Manila, is definitely a nice change.

Actually Baguio is one place I was thinking about settling in, but for now it is not feasible for me.

Thomas

Offline bigrod

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 06:03:57 PM »
Thomas,

We had a great time and will do it again.  My asawa had her first horse ride at Wright Park and my friends GF and her took the boat ride at Burnham Park. Had early lunch on Friday at Mines View, Cora's Restaurant then down the street to the Mines View site, Camp John Hay, Philippine Military Academy, The Manor and of course SM Mall Baguio both days. Also went to Igorot Village, the Strawberry Farm, the highest point in Baguio which was fogged in, the Mama Mary Shrine and the Pagoda.  My buddy and myself had two stop in the SM Starbucks while the girls were shopping.  At least the BDO credit card saved me some money versus using the USA card.

Chuck

Offline starrt

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2015, 06:48:29 PM »
Chuck,

It sounds like you did most of everything that was worth doing there. I have always liked Baguio.

You did'nt make it, this time around, to the Tam-Awan Village, which has a collection of Nippa huts from around the country set up for viewing. There is also the Bell Church in La Trinidad. There is lots to do and see, as a tourist/visitor, in Baguio.

Thomas

Offline bigrod

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2015, 08:35:47 PM »
Thomas, the Bell Church is what I called the Pagoda, and Tam-Awan is what I called the Igorot Village.

Chuck

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2015, 03:11:45 AM »
Glo and I have visited Baguio three times and loved every visit. We've seen most of what Baguio has to offer, but there are still some places I want to see the next time. Enjoyed the change in climate, especially after spending a month in steamy Manila.
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline Majal

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2015, 06:39:07 AM »
Baguio is on my list on next trip also, its been awhile before the big earthquake hit it last time.

Offline medic3500

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2015, 09:04:57 AM »
I've been to Baguio several times over 30 years. Now that I actually live here I was there a couple months ago and was depressed. To dirty and congested these days and being higher in elevation the smog just hangs in the air.

Offline conchydong

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2015, 10:22:24 PM »
Baguio has the cool temperatures but it is a little touristy and congested for me also. I do like the strawberry jam from there though. Another neat place that has cool temperatures is Banaue. The rice terraces are a neat part of history and worth the visit. Unfortunately, the youth of today will probably not keep up the traditional farming methods that the Ifugao perfected.

Offline Majal

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2015, 01:09:33 AM »
I agree, I seem to like it how it was THEN than NOW in a lot of these popular places. Somehow it feels like Bureau of Tourism are having a hard time with the upkeep. Same thing is happening in Bicol, seems like the tourism budget are focus in building Caramoan and Cam Sur complex, meanwhile the Mayon Volcano is losing its charm with tourism. As a paying customer (since none is free to get into most of this sights), I would really appreciate a decent bathroom and wash station. We cater to tourist/visitors (whether a foreigner or local)  and  willing to pay for Entrance Fee (along with  30 family members :)), why not build a DECENT bathroom/CR and a sink to wash your hand, clean water.  That's my biggest pep on our tourism. I bring everything I need short of bringing my own portable potty... >:( :( ::)!!! Can I wish something like that to head of  Bureau of Tourism? Thanks I said what I have to say on that topic.... I still like Baguio ;).