Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Majal, would you like to chat with me about investment in the PHL  (Read 32710 times)

Offline Lee2

• Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
This would be an example of how people can chat with each other in more depth about something you might not wish to expand on within the open forum where even guests can usually read most of what you write, but always remember other members who are plus members can read what you write back here.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline Majal

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: Majal, would you like to chat with me about investment in the PHL
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 03:08:44 AM »
sure...but as you know I'm only interested so I have something to do and not so much to as a 24/7 hands on. My sister is thinking of CEMETERY. Buying acres of land, glorify it like a golf course (like how some of the private cemeteries here...I see potentials of growth in that. I always though the funeral business is a good investment. There's always demand for it.

Offline coleman2347

• ole jarhead, Tacloban City, Leyte
  • Sr Member
  • Retired Marine, Retired DOD
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2015, 02:29:33 PM »
Wife, does pretty good with the rice stuff...loans farmers money, gets paid in sacks of rice, one sack per 1000p, usually makes about 1000p per sack...sold something like 70 sacks last month without really trying....usually keeps a sack or two around for the neighbors I think its 40p per kilo...buts more a courtesy thing
The only thing worse than wanting to do it is not doing it

Offline Lee2

• Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 06:31:55 PM »
sure...but as you know I'm only interested so I have something to do and not so much to as a 24/7 hands on. My sister is thinking of CEMETERY. Buying acres of land, glorify it like a golf course (like how some of the private cemeteries here...I see potentials of growth in that. I always though the funeral business is a good investment. There's always demand for it.
That seems like a great idea, I had already seen something like that advertised on TV while in Cagayan de Oro, Mindanao, I am not sure of the zoning issues or the dealing with pay off issues to get land zoned but at least the residents will not be complainers.  ;)

Another idea might be a funeral home that has one of those ovens to cremate people, they get to sell urns and charge for the cremation, there has to be some big profit in both and if you had a cemetery as well, then you would be all set.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline Majal

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2015, 08:06:11 PM »
Wife, does pretty good with the rice stuff...loans farmers money, gets paid in sacks of rice, one sack per 1000p, usually makes about 1000p per sack...sold something like 70 sacks last month without really trying....usually keeps a sack or two around for the neighbors I think its 40p per kilo...buts more a courtesy thing

That's one of the business my family run for years Lee. It has it's Up and Down  esp with Mother Nature unpredictable. But your right, no sweat at all... Rice has been expensive as well over there isn't it? My cousin own a rice mill also (theres only 2 in town so theres demand there).  Would you guys be able to do that in Pampangga as well?

Offline Lee2

• Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2015, 08:15:40 PM »
Since this is really about the Philippines and I was just using it as an example, I wonder if anyone would mind if I move it over to the main forum where it could help everyone and delete this post when I do?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 07:57:36 AM by Lee2 »

Offline coleman2347

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2015, 08:17:55 PM »

That's one of the business my family run for years Lee. It has it's Up and Down  esp with Mother Nature unpredictable. But your right, no sweat at all... Rice has been expensive as well over there isn't it? My cousin own a rice mill also (theres only 2 in town so theres demand there).  Would you guys be able to do that in Pampangga as well?

Hopefully, its easy here as she knows everybody, obviously she would have to make contacts again and we really only know a few there...She can always use her accountancy degree and set up her own office or go in with somebody...but she really does not want regular hours because of the kids....

Offline Majal

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2015, 08:22:21 PM »
Since this is really about the Philippines and I was just using it as an example, I wonder if anyone would mind if I move it over to the main forum where it could help everyone and delete this post when I do?
That seems like a great idea, I had already seen something like that advertised on TV while in Cagayan de Oro, Mindanao, I am not sure of the zoning issues or the dealing with pay off issues to get land zoned but at least the residents will not be complainers.  ;)

Another idea might be a funeral home that has one of those ovens to cremate people, they get to sell urns and charge for the cremation, there has to be some big profit in both and if you had a cemetery as well, then you would be all set.
Cemeteries at least in my area is very populated and I'm sure there's plenty thinking about this already. I'm only interested in the plots. Private, maintain a caretaker, gardener for a monthly fee (sort of HOA).  Funeral homes there's 2 also in my areas for like forever... don't have to reinvent the wheel,  a competition.

Cremation still a touchy  subjects there as  you know Catholics are not fond of cremation but it will be good to have that option as well for customers.

***Oh Im sorry Lee2, I was thinking about that yesterday..if you were just making an example for me.... and boy, I just keep going huh :) Ok if you want to move it thats fine...

Offline Lee2

• Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2015, 08:31:29 PM »
Topic moved over to main forum from the hidden forums since it might benefit everyone and this way more people are welcome to join in.

Offline Majal

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2015, 08:37:41 PM »
Topic moved over to main forum from the hidden forums since it might benefit everyone and this way more people are welcome to join in.

Ok, sorry adding work for you Lee2 :)

Offline Lee2

• Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2015, 08:43:35 PM »
Ok, sorry adding work for you Lee2 :)
No real work for me, it is easy to move topics, while I started it out as an example in the BS-ing section, I guess it was really a poor example and maybe I should have made it about the US or another country, since that would not be for the main forum, so thank you, it is always good when members run with topics, that is what makes for a great forum. I hope everyone joins in now that the topic is here for all to post in. It will not be common for topics to be moved, this is probably going to be the only one moved.

Offline Majal

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2015, 08:54:29 PM »
Lee,  have you thought about looking for properties just old hotels or multiple units (fixer/upper) either make a studio or like a hostel type and prep it for the militaries when they pull in. That can be potentially profitable there specially now that US slowly getting back and pulling in.  One of my Niece own a 3 bedroom house in Pasig but she moved here already so its vacant. When George Washington pulled in Manila, these "kids" of mine (my sailors) contacted me asking for recommendation.  I offered my Niece place with a car+driver (which is one of nephew) the entire time for $1000 for 2 nights ($200 each kid) lodging, breakfast, car and driver anywhere within the allowed area (which they pretty much stayed in the mall arcade watch movies). They were absolutely happy with it. Average decent hotel in Manila is $75 (for US people standard), you can get car and driver about $50-75 (you pay gas and driver food) so overall it was a fair price for them, plus theyre my kids I ain't out to get them. I know others would have. I see potential in that....have connections in the inside and network customers that way...lodging+car/driver/food target the Junior guys coz they're the one that has money to spend really....what you think of that?  Anyways my niece was absolutely stoked. $1000 for two nights, easy money!

Offline coleman2347

• Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2015, 11:17:49 AM »
We looked at several things, rental properties, rice mills, bars but in the end didnt want to tie up the capital here in Tacloban....for reasons stated elsewhere. 
Im looking at a couple of things when we move but really need to be boots on the ground, surveying and seeing what the needs are....capital involved etc...most of our pesos will more than likely be tied up in building a house and the move...

Offline iamjames

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2015, 03:50:21 PM »
Because of the intricacies of visas and partnership complications I would never start a business here but I have a Philipino wants me to set up a business on a consultancy/partnership basis. As long as none of MY money is involved I have no problem.
This ''city'' has a 120,000 population. Setting up any business should mean doing something new or creative. The poor have no money so forget services there if you want to earn money. Also remember that any services with the general public will involve the ''expectancy' of utang. From the start this should be a strict NO - without exception and especially to family. Even the owner should never use any product without putting the full amount in the till. This sets the example.
I believe that you should aim towards the top 1% who have money. One Idea would be a ''luxury'' standard lounge serving Daquiris (rum based cocktails), spirits (using optics), and imported beers as well as the local fare. NO large bottles of Red Horse and NO bottles of spirits and NO videoke. A good quality selection of finger foods would be included.  The emphasis on Daquiri cocktails is because this is basically a very cheap but popular product.
Comfort/semi privacy,  security (with guards), professional standard service, and safe/secure parking would be essential.
I will invite you all when I get this set up -  but remember - BAWAL UTANG!  ;)
My biggest nightmare is whether it would be possible to train staff properly in about two weeks. They would eventually be paid double the normal if they rise to the standard.

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2015, 04:06:32 PM »
James,

Hope you or your partner have a background in bar/restro business.  I do not mean a background as a patron.  This is hard business to make work properly without hands on during all operating hours.  Also you need to have a good knowledge of all facets of the business to insure success.  I worked this business from 1966 til 2010.  If your employees know how to scim from the top and you do not you will loose. Had a Brit/Aussie mate open a similar operation here in Cavite his experience was as a patron but also a good numbers cruncher. I spent 2 hrs in his establishment and figured out how his employees were ripping him off.  Hired new crew and now making money.

Chuck
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time