Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats
Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Build This Cozy DIY Cabin for Under $7,000  (Read 3781 times)

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
Build This Cozy DIY Cabin for Under $7,000
« on: November 17, 2015, 10:55:55 PM »
I wonder what it would cost in the Philippines??
There has been a lot of buzz around the internet lately about the tantalizing topic of self-built and off the grid sustainable homes.  If you are one of the people who, like me, has day-dreamed your fair share about shaking off the dust of living in the system and finding a way of life more natural and sustainable, you will be excited to discover that the awesome wood cabin you see pictured below can be constructed for about $6,000 depending on what kind of upgrades or special features you may wish to add. http://www.ewao.com/a/1-build-this-cozy-diy-cabin-for-under-7000/

:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline iamjames

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: Build This Cozy DIY Cabin for Under $7,000
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 01:45:34 PM »
Would be a lovely idea but could you get the correctly treated timber here?

Offline FMSINC

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 02:45:17 PM »
Be better just to get the plan and build  it out of hollow block as it would be cheaper then purchasing the treated imported wood here and no worries with rot or mildew or termites

Tom

Offline Splooge Magoo

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2015, 03:58:35 AM »
Living off the grid.

If I can ask a question : Why?

I think this forum has a lot of members that preserve that type of life style. I'm pretty open minded and I just can't understand why. It doesn't mean I think you are wrong, but I just want to hear what I am missing.
Dan

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2015, 04:16:50 AM »
We had some wood trim put into our Cebu condo by carpenters, the workers primed it with something they told us prevents termites from eating it, so as long as that would not be expensive, then I am guessing they could treat the wood with that before assembly of the home but of course that would mean some more work and extra money.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline Hestecrefter

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2015, 07:21:32 AM »
Living off the grid.

I think this forum has a lot of members that preserve that type of life style. I'm pretty open minded and I just can't understand why. It doesn't mean I think you are wrong, but I just want to hear what I am missing.

I'll take a stab at answering why.

We have lived off the grid for the better part of 10 years.  Before that, I lived on the grid, mostly in major cities in the U.S. and Canada, as well as Manila (Quezon City).  We are off the grid because of the lifestyle it affords.  It lets us live in unspoiled natural surroundings, where we can do pretty much as we please and no one observing us.  We are not big fans of close neighbors.

Another advantage is where the grid ends, a lot of bureaucracy ends.  Some years ago, I built a vacation home in a rural area, but not so rural it was off the grid.  To do so I had to submit plans for approval, then pay for a building permit, an electrical permit, a septic system permit, a plumbing permit, a chimney permit, a permit to put a culvert under the road linking us to the public road, etc.  Had to put up with a string of inspections.  Had to pay meticulous observance to how far the house was from the water.  Had to have the well inspected.  Here, there is none of that.  No one is coming here by boat to see what we are up to.  We drive our ATVs and unlicensed vehicles on the public roads, with an open beer if we like, because no one is here to tell us not to.

In addition, being off the grid enhances affordability.  Not far from us, to have oceanfront like we do in a grid location can run in hundreds of thousands for a single acre.  Here, we can afford more than 60 acres and almost a mile of waterfront. 

As I see it, places such as where we live are disappearing.  Expanding world population and development is  seeing to that.  We are in one of the last generations that will be able to live as we do.  We feel privileged. 

As for "off the grid" per se, we never set out with a desire to forsake the grid.  We ended up going off the grid to get what we wanted.  I would not mind grid power here, but then the hordes would no doubt follow.    We simply had to adapt when we knew it was go off grid or move somewhere more civilized.  Off grid living is not cheap if you want the conveniences that go with being grid-tied.  We have spent plenty, but, overall, it has been worth it.  There is a certain satisfaction that comes with learning how to become independent of the grid.  Advantages include never being without power.  Everyday we hear of a storm striking somewhere and the news reporting stories such as  "At this hour some 10,000 area residents are still without power."  We never have that problem.

Splooge, because you have asked why, and believing sometimes that a picture is worth a thousand words, I'll pm you a link to some photos.  Come back and let me know if if they help answer "why?".  It's not a life for everyone (kinda' like living in the Phils is not for everyone) but, for now, it suits us.

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2015, 10:52:05 AM »
Living off the grid.
It's all about "different strokes for different folks"! I myself can not imagine living off the beaten path, too much of a physical hardship and an inconvenience in case of an illness or injury, but I do understand why some do it, for the wide open private space off the grid similar to those who prefer the "doomsday prepper's" lifestyle!
We prefer the civilized western lifestyle with all the modern creature comfort and conveniences nearby.

"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline Hestecrefter

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2015, 02:24:31 AM »
Living off the grid.

I myself can not imagine living off the beaten path, too much of a physical hardship and an inconvenience in case of an illness or injury, but I do understand why some do it, for the wide open private space off the grid similar to those who prefer the "doomsday prepper's" lifestyle!
We prefer the civilized western lifestyle with all the modern creature comfort and conveniences nearby.

I get the point about "illness or injury", but being off the grid does not portend a death sentence.  In fact, I worry about it more in many parts of the Phils.

Some years ago, here in Canada, by wife was gravely injured in a motor vehicle accident.  It was in a very rural location, miles from any town or city.  Far from any cell tower.  A place where the locals carry radiophones for communication.  A call on one of those soon had 2 ambulances in attendance.  When they arrived, they saw the location of the wreck - at the bottom of a ravine - and her condition, and they said that Search and Rescue was a few minutes behind.  Sure enough, within a few minutes the Search and Rescue crew arrived.  They got down there with ropes and pulleys and got her out.  Then to the nearest hospital where they did what they could, while saying she was too grievously hurt and required a major hospital.  So, in no time, off in the air ambulance, a small jet with a medical team on board.  They flew to the nearest large hospital and gave her a CT scan (the first hospital has one now, but did not then).  Even the second hospital said she required more specialized care than they could provide and so, within an hour, off in the air ambulance again to the hospital where she remained for 3 weeks, 2 in ICU.

I remain convinced that if that same accident had occurred in most parts of the Phils, she would never have made it.  In fact, I am not even so sure about Manila.  I see ambulances there, but I must say I recoil at the way they are regarded.  In the steady gridlock that is Manila, I have often seen ambulances struck in traffic, sirens blaring, and no one taking much notice or clearing a path.

Where we live now, off the grid, in case of serious illness or accident, the protocal is to call *16 on a cell phone or ch. 16 on marine radio and the Coast Guard will come.  They can be on the beach in front of the house in a helicopter in 15 minutes and 15 minutes back to hospital.  Or they will send a very fast boat, manned and equipped for medical emergencies.  I have witnessed them in action.  Very efficient.

Btw, the cost of rescuing and treating my wife as described above?  Not one dime.  I am not sure that caliber and economy of service can be matched anywhere in the Phils, on or off grid.

Offline medic3500

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2015, 03:52:06 PM »
Hestecrefter, I might be able to answer some of the questions you might have regarding healthcare here especially EMS type questions. I keep a low profile but am up to date with what's going on in those areas and have a couple of friends actively involved in implementing upgrades.   

Offline Hestecrefter

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2015, 04:04:48 AM »
Medic, that's very sporting of you, but I do not really have many questions.  Well, perhaps one.  Am I mistaken in my assessment that the Phils cannot generally match the type of emergency care I mentioned being received by my wife?   If I am wrong, I do not mind you correcting me.

Where I live now, it's more or less a coincidence that emergency services are readily available and at no cost to the user.  I had little actual knowledge of what was available before moving here, and it was not a factor in the decision to come here.  I would be here anyway, even if there was no emergency assistance of any kind available. 

I am not a big consumer of healthcare, but in work I have done I have witnessed how many seem to be exactly the opposite, particularly when they do not have to pay as they go.  Folks can sure do a lot of running to the doctor at the drop of a hat when doing so appears to be "free".  Given my druthers, I'd be in the pay as you go camp.  Instead, the government here forces me to pay for medical insurance I never use.  The last time I saw a doctor was in February 1998.  I have my teeth cleaned by a hygienist once a year, which I have to pay for, and that's about it.

So, for me, while I have lived in the Phils in the distant past, and might eventually do so again, availability of medical care, or emergency services, is not a consideration.  I say that recognizing that I am everlasting grateful that cadillac care was available to my wife at a critical time. 

I suppose this thread has drifted somewhat from the DIY theme and, to those who are offended, I apologize for my part in setting it adrift.

Offline medic3500

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2015, 07:55:53 AM »
Sadly your assumptions are correct as of today in relationship to pre-hospital emergency care. The Philippines is appox. 15 years behind the US in this regard due to a multitude of reasons. Fortunately there has been and continues to be huge advancements especially the past two years. The expertise and training is available, the road blocks are at the executive levels of getting a National standard for the entire country for EMS and Ambulances set in concrete. The standards have been written, examined, submitted and even partially accepted. The issue is with government which should not surprise anyone. In the Metro areas if you need Emergency Services there's about a 80% chance you will get qualified personnel with sufficient, appropriate equipment to carry out their job. This is considerably higher than a couple years ago, in the provinces it is still hit and miss. Some LGU's are more proactive than others. One thing to consider here, 95+% of the EMT's are also RN's. This however presents issues, many feel they can perform well above their EMT protocols without appropriate medical authority/direction and sometimes get what is called para-god syndrome performing procedures which could and will be considered malpractice in the future.   

Offline FMSINC

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2015, 01:55:54 PM »
We recently had a head on crash of two jitneys a doctor who is also a town councillor happened on the scene and tried to treat the injured.

When the ambulances arrived from the roxas city he asked for tourniquets and other supplies they had no medical supplies at all not even a pair of latex gloves.

The doctor is also a city consular tried to pass a city ordinance to mandate the ambulances have some rudimentary medical supplies on board.'

The major vetoed the motion as it would but a financial burden on the ambulance companies

So in our area the ambulances are not much better then taking the L300 vans  to the hospital in fact the van may be faster

Once you get to the hospital thats another story if you do not have cash deposit you will not get admitted

Offline Splooge Magoo

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2015, 10:49:25 PM »
Hestercraft,

I see your point of view (literally) and thanks so much for sharing.
Dan

Offline Hestecrefter

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2015, 01:35:34 AM »
Y'er welcome, master Splooge!