Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Buying a new bike but not being able to drive it  (Read 3107 times)

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
Buying a new bike but not being able to drive it
« on: February 28, 2016, 08:09:36 AM »
One of my friends bought a new bike and I saw it at his home, yet he told me that he cannot drive it possibly for months until the registration gets processed...  :o  Is this common all over the Philippines? I do not think that I would ever fork over my money to buy something that I could not use right away..
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
Re: Buying a new bike but not being able to drive it
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 08:32:16 AM »
That is pretty common.  My bike still has no plate and will be a year since it was ordered come April.  Just like in the US, keep the paperwork on the bike at all times. 

I use a gallon sized ziploc style bag and keep all that paperwork under the seat of my bike at all times.  Never once have I been stopped for that. 

There's a back story to why this happens and why the plates are not made in the Phils, but my memory is sketchy on the details and who in the political theater is making the money from whatever deal went down.  But I doubt I'll get my plate before the year is up.
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline copusmaximus

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 10:44:14 AM »
yup i bought a scooter last march and no plate i drive it every day never once been stopped or asked but as long as have all the paperwork you be fine . wear a helmet and 99% of the time the cops wont bother u .

Offline M.C.A.

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 04:41:11 PM »
People will be driving their motocycles and vehicles because everyone here is dealing with several LTO issue's, police seem to know even the fixers are up to speed on how bassackwards this office operates.
My views would be from someone who lives out in the province close to in-laws on a pension.  Norwegian and French heritage.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2016, 07:05:55 PM »
It just amazes me that a country cannot even get their vehicles registered in a reasonable time frame. Its sure is more fun in the Philippines...
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline copusmaximus

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2016, 08:33:47 PM »
what amazes me is how with all the tech out there and most is really cheep still 90% of gov banks and businesses still use paper for everything
it just slows everything down and needing to go into manila for something that could be done just as easy online its stupid they can still get jobs done much faster but ph is in slow mo mode cant get into second gear like traffic lol :)

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2016, 11:32:12 PM »
Even though LTO is behind the power curve, it still doesn't prevent me from driving our registered vehicles (2 wheeled vehicles included, which I don't own one) as long I have all of my legal official receipts, I'm OK with that.
It's all about going with the flow in this country and having the patience and attitude to go along with it instead of the constant moaning, groaning and bitching about how slow the process and or progress of getting anything done in the Philippines.
"It's More Fun in the Philippines" slogan is far from the truth!
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!