Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats
Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Craft Beer  (Read 6273 times)

Offline jjcabgou

• Sr Member
Craft Beer
« on: March 04, 2016, 10:31:47 AM »
Philippines is starting to catch up.  The more brewery's that pop up the prices should start to drop.

http://www.traveling-up.com/craft-beers-in-the-philippines/

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
Re: Craft Beer
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2016, 11:28:47 AM »
Yes competition normally drops the price of a product.  Just like buying a liter/1.5 liter versus a 750 ml should cost less per ml, that is the gimmick to get you to buy the larger size, but I have not found that to be true always here.   Will competition decrease the price in the Philippines? Maybe or maybe not, we will see.  I hope it does!

Chuck
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

Offline jjcabgou

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2016, 11:35:31 AM »
I have only tried the Crazy Caribou in Sta Rosa so far, and the beer is really good.  I will sample the beer in Sagada in May, hoping its equally as tasty.

Offline medic3500

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2016, 09:00:28 AM »
My friend Andrew makes the craft beer in Sagada, I don't think you will be disappointed.

Offline jjcabgou

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2016, 11:06:27 AM »
My friend Andrew makes the craft beer in Sagada, I don't think you will be disappointed.

I am looking forward to it!!!!

Offline JD

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 09:05:27 PM »
I have a bunch of tasting reviews on my web site. Mostly for The Cebruery right now. I'm working through  the brewers.

I'm a big advocate of craft brews but, yeah, the cost is  a sticking point. Not only for us expats but for the Filipino audience as well.

Offline jjcabgou

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2017, 12:12:58 PM »
for any beer enthusiasts out there, I found, what I consider, the best bar in the Philippines.   If you combine food, service and beer selection, the Brewery Gastropub in iloilo was, by far, the best bar/restaurant I have been to in the Philippines.   I want to go back to iloilo just to stop by there again.   Closest thing I can compare it to is the "Perfect Pint" in Makati, and the Brewery Gastropub blows the perfect pint out of the water.   Insane beer selection, on tap and bottles.

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2017, 03:19:26 PM »
Waiting for something to come to Samar island.  I'd go just about anywhere on the island to have a good beer.

I lived in Grand Rapids, MI when I was in the USA.  I think this year was their 3rd consecutive year of being named Beer City USA.  I miss the ability to hit over 30 micro breweries without leaving Grand Rapids and another 30 in the greater Grand Rapids area.  Really enjoyed the autumn beers each fall.  Went great with football season.

Probably one of the few things I really miss from the USA besides the high internet speed.

https://www.experiencegr.com/things-to-do/beer-city/
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 03:26:33 PM by JoeLP »
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline jjcabgou

• Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2017, 02:37:06 PM »
Waiting for something to come to Samar island.  I'd go just about anywhere on the island to have a good beer.

I lived in Grand Rapids, MI when I was in the USA.  I think this year was their 3rd consecutive year of being named Beer City USA.  I miss the ability to hit over 30 micro breweries without leaving Grand Rapids and another 30 in the greater Grand Rapids area.  Really enjoyed the autumn beers each fall.  Went great with football season.

Probably one of the few things I really miss from the USA besides the high internet speed.

Some of my favorite beers in the USA are brewed in Michigan.  Founders and Bells off the top of my head always always had a stop in my "Ref" in the US.   Yeah I miss the beer and the internet as well.   I always had about 75 - 100 different beers to choose from, and always left the beer store with a smile on my face.   There is a bar in IloIlo that has the best beer selection of any place I have been to in the Philippines, and the food was outstanding as well.   Are you close to Iloilo?

Offline medic3500

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2017, 04:29:54 PM »

Some nice fishing in that area too. As a kid was up in that area many times.

Offline jjcabgou

• Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2017, 05:45:57 PM »
Some nice fishing in that area too. As a kid was up in that area many times.
another thing I miss IMMENSELY - Fishing!   

Offline iamjames

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2017, 10:53:42 PM »
Since the topic is Beer I must mention that on a special offer last week I got Budweiser at 36P a can in S&R.  :) :) :)

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2017, 04:35:09 PM »
jjcabgou,
The founders brewery was literally a 20 minute walk from where I lived.  Their outlet store was good.  I rarely walked it.  Rather take my car for 5 minutes and load up.  Bell's is in the kzoo/bc area in Michigan about 1 hour south of where I lived.  Sometimes when coming back from chicago I'd hit their outlet.
I love founder's Imperial Stout and Bell's got a few good ones.  Grand Rapids Brewing Company use to be all across the midwest...but now are more a Michigan Beer and have a nice resto in GR.  They built the resto around one of their micro breweries and you get to see through large glass windows as they process the beer.  Sorta a cool thing.
There are a lot of other real good beers in Michigan...but in Grand Rapids we had a lot of cool little breweries.  A lot of them with their own restos connected or nearby.  Always fun places to go.
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline jjcabgou

• Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2017, 07:48:47 PM »
jjcabgou,
The founders brewery was literally a 20 minute walk from where I lived.  Their outlet store was good.  I rarely walked it.  Rather take my car for 5 minutes and load up.  Bell's is in the kzoo/bc area in Michigan about 1 hour south of where I lived.  Sometimes when coming back from chicago I'd hit their outlet.
I love founder's Imperial Stout and Bell's got a few good ones.  Grand Rapids Brewing Company use to be all across the midwest...but now are more a Michigan Beer and have a nice resto in GR.  They built the resto around one of their micro breweries and you get to see through large glass windows as they process the beer.  Sorta a cool thing.
There are a lot of other real good beers in Michigan...but in Grand Rapids we had a lot of cool little breweries.  A lot of them with their own restos connected or nearby.  Always fun places to go.
Absolutely love both Bells, and Founders, and I kid you not, I had at least a six pack (or 4 pack) of one of them in my car every time I went beer shopping.   The Philippines is, slowly but surely, making an attempt.   The only local craft beer I did not like was Pedro's.  All the rest are really good; I just need more variety, getting tired of IPA's (never thought I would say that)

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2017, 11:29:43 PM »
Does anyone know anything about Amstel?  I am trying to figure out if that is the same beer that I was thinking of that was popular in Spanish ports back in the 70s.  I didn't know much about it except that it kept most everyone on the can.  I was trying to check it out now in Google to make sure I don't get a hold of any in the Philippines by mistake but for some reason, it doesn't look like the same stuff I am talking about.  I see that this is from Netherlands, which of course it could be sold in Spain but the stuff I am talking about really looked like and was some cheapo beer.  Well, whatever it was, it would be best for all to stay away from it.
Whatever floats your boat.