Author Topic: Long time fan, new member.  (Read 3089 times)

Offline Sam_Pernandu

Long time fan, new member.
« on: June 06, 2016, 12:55:24 AM »
Hello everyone!   
Website has changed vastly since my last visit. Fantastic!  :)

Currently am a "Dual-Citizen": both US and PI. In addition, I am legally married to a Pinay via justice of the peace. Both of us have mutually agreed to a divorce/annulment.
I'm currently living in the US but will be moving back there this September 2016. What's the best action for me to take?

I need to know if I will run the risk(s) of losing my Philippine Citizenship if I file for divorce here in the US?

Please help.

Thank you in advance.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
Re: Long time fan, new member.
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 01:48:17 AM »
Welcome to the forum. I will leave your question for those who know more than I do about that type of thing but if you were born in the Philippines and currently hold dual citizenship, then I believe you should be able to keep it and I am therefore not sure what a divorce would have to do with that, maybe give us some more information. One issue you might have is should you wish to remarry in the Philippines, if your marriage was ever registered there.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 03:33:40 AM »
Hello everyone!   
Website has changed vastly since my last visit. Fantastic!  :)

Currently am a "Dual-Citizen": both US and PI. In addition, I am legally married to a Pinay via justice of the peace. Both of us have mutually agreed to a divorce/annulment.
I'm currently living in the US but will be moving back there this September 2016. What's the best action for me to take?

I need to know if I will run the risk(s) of losing my Philippine Citizenship if I file for divorce here in the US?

Please help.

Thank you in advance.

Where did you get married? PH or US? I think it makes a difference on where you can file. Not certain, just going from my admittedly bad memory from years ago. You won't lose your PH citizenship for filing for a divorce/annulment. Good luck
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 06:05:09 AM »
Welcome Sam,
I too am a Fil/Am, but not a dual citizen (long story) and have been retired in the Philippines going on 19 yrs now and still enjoying our retirement lifestyle here with my wife of 30 yrs (not including the 6 yr long distance courtship) and with or without Du30ty, but will find that out eventually in the yrs to come.  ???
Since you're a dual citizen, you will always keep that forever, unless you change your mind for whatever the reasons down the road and a divorce has no effect on your dual citizenship, but make certain to put your "IC" Identification letter from where you took your oath at of dual citizenship), also keep original records like your city's court divorce decree of dissolution of marriage, marriage contract (if married in the Philippines, original copy of marriage contract from the NSO , her and your NSO birth certificates, just in case you plan to remarry.
Also, in case of your divorce, there are certain stipulations concerning your pensions upon retirement, which she may have entitlements to from your employment depending how long you were both married. Best check with your employer if there are any such issues with your pensions if you have any obligations to your ex-spouse before and or after retirement and or after a divorce, for examples: those who have served in military and upon a divorce and depending how long they were married, the ex-spouse is entitled to a percentage of the ex-husband's pension for life as long she doesn't remarry, she does lose other benefits like her dependent military I.D. card, that she has to forfeit. I can't think of anything else off hand, so that's my 2 cents worth of what I remember or recall from the top of my head.
It's just best you obtain a good reputable divorce attorney, only he/she can provide all the answers to your questions and or important facts you will need to know.
Good luck with your divorce and return to the Philippines.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 06:18:49 AM by Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline Sam_Pernandu

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2016, 07:45:11 AM »
Thank you very much Lee, Gray Wolf and Art for your replies.

I'm much more at ease now with these information. Got married on September 2009 at the Paranaque City Hall. I was planning on filing for divorce here in the East Bay area.

Thank you and have a great day!

Much appreciated.

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2016, 09:48:56 AM »
Sam welcome to the forum, a little late in my reply as I slept in this morning(on Philippine time) in General Trias, Cavite.  Agree see no problem with retaining your dual citizenship.  The possible problem is Philippine law which to my knowledge says "the Philippine citizen can not initiate the divorce", for it to be valid here.  Since you are both Philippine citizens this could be a problem.  Really think you need to contact a knowledgeable lawyer here.

Chuck
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2016, 10:46:58 AM »
Below is the Google search link that Sam and anyone else interested can read up on to determine or decipher Philippine written laws or given legal advice from a divorce attorney, because it would be unfair for anyone not an attorney to wrongfully interrupt the laws of the Philippines, therefore giving unclear and or third party hearsay information.

http://tinyurl.com/js4joen

http://www.abogadomo.com/archives/971
Recognition of Divorce in the Philippines

"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline Sam_Pernandu

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2016, 12:50:40 AM »
Good morning to all.
Again I want to thank you for your help and care on this matter; especially to Art who sent me a website containing specific laws pertaining to "Divorce/Annulment".

It's making this process bearable and easier for both my now separated wife(who I care much for) and myself. We never thought in our minds this will ever happen to us.

Have a good to everyone.

Just me. 

Offline Sam_Pernandu

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2016, 12:54:35 AM »
Art, thank you.

• Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2016, 02:56:58 AM »
Good morning to all.
Again I want to thank you for your help and care on this matter; especially to Art who sent me a website containing specific laws pertaining to "Divorce/Annulment".

It's making this process bearable and easier for both my now separated wife(who I care much for) and myself. We never thought in our minds this will ever happen to us.

Have a good to everyone.

Just me.
Oh it's nothing! Anyone can ask Google any question and it will direct you to the source!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2016, 03:01:20 AM »
Oh it's nothing! Anyone can ask Google any question and it will direct you to the source!
True, but you seem to be much better at it than most of us, so thank you from me too.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.