Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats
Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: How safe is Mindanao?  (Read 11761 times)

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
Re: How safe is Mindanao?
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2008, 12:16:42 PM »
My family voiced concerns over me walking the mountains too, and I was in the middle of Leyte.
You take your life in your hands when you walk down ANY street, whether it be in Davao or London.
Worrying about it means the terror mongers have won.
Stop it, enjoy your life, be aware of your surroundings and you will be ok where ever you are.
Just don\'t do stupid s#!t like sight seeing through a firefight in southern Mindanao or walk some dank back alley in NYC at 2am and you will be fine.
SO SAYETH THE RUFUS

« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2008, 02:47:14 PM »
My family voiced concerns over me walking the mountains too, and I was in the middle of Leyte.
You take your life in your hands when you walk down ANY street, whether it be in Davao or London.
Worrying about it means the terror mongers have won.
Stop it, enjoy your life, be aware of your surroundings and you will be ok where ever you are.
Just don\'t do stupid s#!t like sight seeing through a firefight in southern Mindanao or walk some dank back alley in NYC at 2am and you will be fine.

In a moment of rare seriousness \'So sayeth the Rufus\"!

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2008, 12:26:23 AM »
LOL...
Ya know whats funny?
I wrote that drunk.. lol
SO SAYETH THE RUFUS

Offline sabata

« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2008, 08:39:42 PM »
Hi   Everyone-------nebie here-------------i am going to Zamboanga City Jan 1 -------------any info would be apprecitated---------------------------saftey                 -----------response of locals to us citzens-----------------------white people????????????thanks------Steven

Offline GregW

• Sr Member
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2008, 10:40:37 AM »
Steven wrote;
  Hi   Everyone-------nebie here-------------i am going to Zamboanga City Jan 1 -------------any info would be apprecitated---------------------------saftey                 -----------response of locals to us citzens-----------------------white people?

Us citizens, white, black, brown or polka dot, if it were me, I would arrange for your lady to meet you somewhere else.  Perhaps CDO or Cebu.  Pay attention to the news and you\'ll see that Zamboanga experiences terrorist bombings from time to time amongst other incidents.   :(  Not a place I\'d be comfortable in at all.  There will be a few who will differ with me but I\'ll bet many more who will agree.  This is only concerning Muslim occupied areas of Mindanao, e.g. Zamboanga, and does not reflect on the rest of the island. 

Now, if you do go (I do shudder at the thought), I would not venture outside of my hotel without local accompaniment and I would be certain to be back prior to nightfall.  Well, as they say in the RP, \'sup to you.

Ako si Goyo.   Amerikano akong lawas pero Bisaya akong kasing-kasing

Offline imtheredrum

• Sr Member
« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2008, 06:37:10 PM »
Damn good answer/reply Greg....
..                                \ \ \ | / / /
..                                  ( @ @~)
Jeff & Ritz  -----o00o-(. .)-o00o-----

Offline c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n

• Sr Member
« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2008, 01:36:33 PM »
Hi to all here:

PS: Off subject... all heard about camote? (sweet potato tops)... cures the dengue (sp) disease... get to planting guys and gals... ;)

And ampalaya for diabetes, gabon for kidney stones, malunggay for high blood and others.................

Offline c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n

• Sr Member
« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2008, 01:39:39 PM »

Whoopsie BTDT.......that\'s where the best parties are found hehehe

Scariest place I ever was was Baltimore docklands 3AM (before waterfront was re-developed in late 70s)

Offline geno555

• Sr Member
« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2008, 10:13:06 AM »
Captain Ron is \"right on\" as regards the danger of that now \"the murder capital of the world\".

I had no visits there in the early 70\'s for I was off fighting another war of my own.

But I do recall as a young dumb teenager going down to the \"block\" (an area where you could get anything you want...if you had the money...and then sometimes , things you didn\'t want but got for free after they stoled your money.

Last night for \"the rumble in the Jungle\" in Bayugan... I lost count at 1000 people, our parok has a estimated population of 285, I planned for 400 and was out of all foods except rice by 6 pm and the party started at 4pm. Out of all those people, not one problem to mention.

In the RP you are as safe as you chose to make yourself

Murf  ;D :D ;D