Author Topic: Returning a Product to a Store  (Read 4948 times)

Offline Big daddy Ray

• Our Palawan Experience
  • Sr Member
    • Our Palawan Experience
Returning a Product to a Store
« on: April 09, 2016, 05:44:17 PM »
I know most of you that live here in the Philippines will laugh at this, but the guys who think that they may want to live here ...well... live and learn.... but have any of you ever had this happen? The wifey and I just went through an hour long ordeal returning a MaxSell, (made in the Philippines),  circular saw I bought the other day with a local well known hardware store here in the "City" The saw was defective as it the base plate was not in line with the blade. In other words there was 3/16" difference in parallelism between the front and rear of the blade. It could not be adjusted without re-drilling the baseplate.....it would "cup" when cutting. They asked if they could check it out...after I showed 6 people what was wrong by measurement...They took it in the back and cut plywood with it and denied my claim saying there was nothing wrong with the saw...the manager refused to do anything since he said the saw was not defective. So I asked to see the cut. I put a square up against the ripped plywood and nothing was straight. It was cupped very bad and not cut in a straight line... The manager said that saw was not to be used to crosscut 2X4 or thick lumber...I was puzzled...he said he was a manager for many years and a circular saw is only for cutting plywood....and nothing else...I said... "really"...(don't laugh yet)...I asked the guy that worked in the department to please grab a DeWalt circular saw and let's cut some plywood. I checked out the saw and it was aligned properly. I asked him to rip a 4" piece of a 6 ft long 1/2" scrap plywood, and use the miter rip attachment. He could not figure out how to install it. I installed it for him and set it for a 4" rip...then I asked him to cut it. He gave the saw to me and asked me to do it..I said no,.. you are the one that told the Manager the saw I returned was NOT defective so please...make the cut. He said he could not..."why"? I asked...because, he admitted he had never used a circular saw before today...(now you can laugh)..I said if you have never used a saw...how could you tell the manager my saw I was trying to return was good...he shrugged his shoulders and smiled...because it "cut the wood"....He went and talked with the Manager a few minutes and then the Manager came over to me and said, I don't know how to use a saw and walked off.....They talked in the corner and kept looking at me...then I walked over t the power tool department..I  told the guy to pull down a new DeWalt from the top shelf and I would pay the 99PHP difference...no one else said anything,... but they asked me to go to the checkout...I got a new DeWalt that I checked out before I left. The guy was amazed the cut was so much better than the "other one"....go figure...it's more fun in the Philippines...I love it here. (I was asked repeatedly to "come back tomorrow because the Merchandiser was not there today)...I said no..because I didn't by it from the merchandiser...I bought for the "store"...(BTW....I was not upset but I didn't give up either)...Hahahaha! :) Anyone returned anything and got a refund or exchange for something like this...I would be interested to hear your experience.  8)
Meeting the right person as your partner in life that laughs at your farts.... is a blessing!

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
Re: Returning a Product to a Store
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 07:50:17 PM »
Love it man.   8) That was funny.  Haven't had any troubles like that yet.  Only bought a few things that were broke when we opened the package/box at home and they places we bought them from always allowed us to return them.  But, being raised by a dad who owned his own construction company I followed along very nicely and it made me laugh multiple times throughout the story....or shake my head.
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline hitekcountry

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 03:40:09 AM »
I had an interesting encounter with a manager at a Citi hardware store, I’m sure there’s no connection to your incident at the hardware store in the “City”.

The last time I was in the Philippines (July 2015) Someone mentioned that there was this huge hardware store in Cabanatuan and they said it had everything you would need to build a house, and since one of my reasons for being in the Philippines was to evaluate the Idea of living there and even possibly building a house I figured I needed to see this place. Cabanatuan was only about 50 k away so we went there one day.

When we got to the Citi Hardware store I was impressed that it truly was huge and did appeared to have just about everything one would need to build a house. Now of course there is no way I’m going to remember all that they have so I got out my camera and began taking pictures of everything, pictures are my memory.

I made it about half way thru the store and had taken about 80 pictures by that time, when I was approached by this little middle aged lady that apparently was the manager. The manager says to me “I’m sorry Sirrrrrr, you can’t take pictures in the store”.  I was a little surprised by that and the only thing I could think was maybe there was some concern that a competitor company would send a spy to take pictures and copy their operation.

So I politely explain to the manager that I’m retired and considering building a house in the Philippines and the pictures would help me to remember what they had at that store. I commented that I thought it was common practice to take pictures of potential purchases and that everyone did that. Her response was “Oh yes Sirrrrrrr,  you can take pictures of anything you’re interested in, that’s OK”.  My response to that was “Well I’m interested in everything”.  She than says “Oh no Sirrrrrrrrr, you can’t take pictures of everything, but you can take picture of what you’re interested in”. I think that is referred to as a ‘catch 22’.

Now at that point if that was in America I might have taken it to another level and told her either that the policy was stupid of maybe even to the point of telling her she was an idiot. NO I held my tongue. Despite the fact that I’m legally a Philippine citizen having dual citizenship, I still have to consider myself a guest in the Philippines. 

I put my camera away.

Offline hitekcountry

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2016, 04:07:28 AM »
The wifey and I just went through an hour long ordeal returning a MaxSell, (made in the Philippines),  circular saw I bought the other day with a local well known hardware store here in the "City"

A MaxSell circular saw like the one in the picture?

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2016, 06:45:00 AM »
That was an interesting problem Ray had, I am not surprised they did not want to replace it, after all, it did turn on  ;) and that is all most stores seem to think items have to do, glad Ray insisted, I wish more locals would insist on service, then maybe it would become more common.

I have found that stores will unbox and test all plug in items we have bought over the years because they claim that they have a no return policy, yet we have had luck exchanging a few other regular items.

I was surprised when we bought a TV and the store told us that the new TV could be exchanged for a 30 day replacement and that it has a 2 year warranty, I made the manager write that on the receipt and she had no problem doing that, so slowly things must be changing.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline Big daddy Ray

• Our Palawan Experience
  • Sr Member
    • Our Palawan Experience
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2016, 08:32:57 AM »
A MaxSell circular saw like the one in the picture?

Yes that is the one...and that brand is only sold by Citi Hardware and they service the product...like their Boston Bay products.. When I bought it they said" if something happens to it, just bring back here and we will take care of it"....how long is the warranty? I asked....he said "just bring it back and we will take care of it no problem"... so in other words,  the way I take that is...as long as it looks new, we will take it back....ANOTHER thing!....I marked the outside of the box of the one I returned with a sharpie pen with the letter "P"....we went back to the  store yesterday and lo and behold...up on the top shelf, nicely sealed up was a box with the letter "P"...ready to sell again.. Go figure...eh?..Have any of you gone in to this hardware store and found 2 and a half inch wood screws like you would use to build a deck...or 1/4" common bolts and nut? They don't carry those here...They don't sell drywall too much here but you can find it, only one thickness, but you can find black drywall screws...The locals use a product called hardflex...wonder what that is made of.. haha!....and they do carry 2x4" pine boards...the best price I was able to negotiate was 452 php ($9.84USD), each. I can find something close to the  2x4" dimensions that you have to hand plane it down but it is local lumber, (century, gimalina, or coco wood) it is ok and cheap. Most cuts are near 2 x 2" The average Filipino uses a hand saw or an angle grinder to cut anything...I love living here and I am NOT complaining....it is fun to see what you run up against on a daily basis...it is definitely not boring here! hehe!
Meeting the right person as your partner in life that laughs at your farts.... is a blessing!

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2016, 10:00:36 AM »
I split off my off topic post and BdR's reply and made a new topic at the link http://www.livinginthephilippines.com/forum/index.php?topic=51224.msg75146#new for them.

Also, I have found it very difficult finding many hardware items here in Cebu, I guess I am very spoiled by Home Depot and Lowe's in Florida where just about anything can be found and in small or large quantities as well, and where returning products is simple, recently at Home Depot I returned some items without even a receipt and they gave me cash back, even I was shocked at that.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline itsgalf

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2016, 01:26:53 PM »
That reminds me of going into hardware stores like Handyman which is in most of the malls and asking them for wire nuts or crimp connectors.
"Sir, no stock". They looked at me funny like, "What the hell, why don't you just tie the wires together and sloppily put electrical tape over it like everyone else?"

I found DIY hardware store had some and other good stuff, though. Terminal boards, crimp connections, wire nuts.

Offline Big Jim

• Retired soon
  • Sr Member
    • Big Jims Philippines Experience
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2016, 04:22:16 PM »
As I have posted previously.

When I first started buying stuff in the Philippines in 1994, there was no warranty. If you bought something defective...too bad!

I still test everything before I leave the store.
I used to wonder what it would be like to read other people's minds.

Then I got a facebook account and now I am over it.

Offline bigpearl

• Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2016, 07:44:26 PM »
LMFAO, and now it rings true, every time we purchased an electrical appliance it was tested before we paid for it,,,,,,,,the kettle had water put into it and plugged in to see that it worked, the toaster was turned on so we could see the warm glow of Maralco doing their thing, (no toast, bugger) the electric drill was plugged in and the trigger pulled to prove to us that it worked, shock, horror........why are you doing this? Sir we need to show you that this/these products work before you leave the store,,,,,,,,and? Well Sir we showed you it works and that's it,,,,,,,,and the 12 month warranty??? Yes Sir that still applies, OK, Cool, thanks for your expert salesmanship. But with bigger items like washing machines, no they didn't wash my undies, the 55 inch TV, no the didn't unpack it and show me it worked, the same with surround sound, fridge etc, but, that is how it works in the Philippines, some 6 months after we had problems with the TV, we contacted the store and stated the problem, the next day a technician rocked up to our condo, identified the problem, fixed it (new motherboard) and left, bye, thank you etc.
I am sorry to tell you, that was service, in Australia you purchase an item, kettle or TV and if it does not work you need to return it to the place of purchase,,,,,,,,2 or 3 weeks later you can go and pick up your repaired defective item or it will be replaced with a new one, normal here in Oz, frustrating, yes but that's how it works.
As a member said earlier, be persistent. I am sure if the toaster gave up the ghost 9 months after purchase it would be replaced. My experience so far,,,,,and I say so far is that as a CUSTOMER of their store you will be looked after/accommodated with faulty items/returns unlike the B/S we have to endure in OZ,,,,,,,possibly in other western countries.
Cheers, Steve

Offline JD

• Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2016, 07:08:53 PM »
Also, I have found it very difficult finding many hardware items here in Cebu, I guess I am very spoiled by Home Depot and Lowe's in Florida where just about anything can be found and in small or large quantities as well, and where returning products is simple, recently at Home Depot I returned some items without even a receipt and they gave me cash back, even I was shocked at that.

Washers! I can't find rubber washers here in Davao. Not at Citi or Wilcon or even the local hardware stores that have nuts and bolts in bins (where the large ones do not) and many "real" pieces of hardware. Currently, the only thing to do for a leaky connection is to use a mile of Teflon tape. Now that they have by the ream...

Offline itsgalf

• Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2016, 06:22:03 AM »
Washers! I can't find rubber washers here in Davao. Not at Citi or Wilcon or even the local hardware stores that have nuts and bolts in bins (where the large ones do not) and many "real" pieces of hardware. Currently, the only thing to do for a leaky connection is to use a mile of Teflon tape. Now that they have by the ream...

I'm not surprised. Filipinos sure love their Teflon tape

Offline FMSINC

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2016, 07:15:23 AM »
Go to an auto parts store and get some gasket material you can cut a washer out of the sheet and use or substitute an O ring usually Ace hardware gas a repair section with items to repair garden hoses good luck

Offline JD

• Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2016, 12:43:39 PM »
Go to an auto parts store and get some gasket material you can cut a washer out of the sheet and use or substitute an O ring usually Ace hardware gas a repair section with items to repair garden hoses good luck

That's a great idea! Thanks...