Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Part Time Life PI  (Read 235 times)

Offline MotorSarge

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Part Time Life PI
« on: June 02, 2020, 06:59:05 AM »
Not sure where to post this but I thought I seen it somewhere in the past and can't find it again.
Looking for info from members who live part time PI and part time in their homeland.
MS

Offline codefreeze

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: Part Time Life PI
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2020, 07:19:54 PM »
Not sure where to post this but I thought I seen it somewhere in the past and can't find it again.
Looking for info from members who live part time PI and part time in their homeland.

What kind of info are you looking for?

Offline MotorSarge

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2020, 10:23:55 PM »
What kind of info are you looking for?
Well I know everyone has a different situation and handles the same things differently.
Is there some who live 4-6 months PI time and then 4-6 months elsewhere?
If so who takes care of either places when at the other and their method of how?
MS

Offline codefreeze

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2020, 01:35:36 AM »
Well I know everyone has a different situation and handles the same things differently.
Is there some who live 4-6 months PI time and then 4-6 months elsewhere?
If so who takes care of either places when at the other and their method of how?

Our maximum stay has been a month. Just locked the UK house up and left with carry on bags. Already shipped the balikbayan boxes out prior (pasalubongs). Rented AirBnB in PI, and for us it was a game changer - much cheaper than a hotel and great quality. We also left some travel gear like some spare clothes, rucksacks etc with relatives in Manila. That's worked out well.

Main issue for us was The Cat on the UK side. We found a good place for the month, but if we were going for say 3 months we'd get a house sitter. Thankfully we have several UK-based filipino friends who we'd trust to house sit and look after the cat.

I knew a guy who basically did it the other around. His house was in PI (as was his wife), but he'd come back to the UK, work a few months seven days a week as a van driver, and sleep in the back of his van. Once he'd made some good dosh he'd go back to PI for the rest of the year. All with a little Jack Russell terrier by his side! Goodness knows how much it cost shipping the little terrier back and forth but I think he said it was as much as a business class flight! :) It was a pretty amazing set up he had as he could make a lot more money here than in PI.

Offline MotorSarge

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2020, 03:12:11 AM »
That sounds pretty good and similar to what I did my first trip.
We stayed at a Hotel in Manila Inbound and Outbound, very pricey, then stayed with family in North Luzon between other little 1-2 day trips exploring. We also did the Airbnb twice while their and kinda liked that.
I wanna try it for at least 2-4 months, that's why I'm inquiring.
I guess we'll have to wait and see though since our globe seems to be getting off axis. 8)

MS

Offline codefreeze

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2020, 03:28:40 PM »
I guess we'll have to wait and see though since our globe seems to be getting off axis. 8)

Yes, isn't it just. We were postponing until early next year, but even that is looking a bit dodgy now. We will see.

If you do go, please let us know how you get on!

Offline User444

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2020, 04:22:36 PM »
My coworker retired and moved to a small town in Nevada. They just lock up the house, set the temperature at a certain level and pack their bags to the Philippines. They have a house in the Philippines that the wife's family manages in the countryside. After 6 months in the Philippines, they fly back to Nevada.
Never argue with an idiot who provides false information. First, they will bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Offline MotorSarge

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2020, 01:46:19 AM »
My coworker retired and moved to a small town in Nevada. They just lock up the house, set the temperature at a certain level and pack their bags to the Philippines. They have a house in the Philippines that the wife's family manages in the countryside. After 6 months in the Philippines, they fly back to Nevada.
Thank you....we have some considerable downsizing to do in the next year or so.
MS