Author Topic: Driving from Manila to Davao  (Read 10048 times)

Offline David690

• Sr Member
Driving from Manila to Davao
« on: January 11, 2017, 03:12:45 AM »
I am planning on buying the Ford Ranger Wildtrak on my next visit.  The Ford dealership here in Davao suggested that I might consider buying the vehicle in Manila as that way I would save approx PHP50,000 on delivery charges and possibly manage a better deal on the purchase price (PHP1.7M in Davao), as there is more than one dealer there competing for business.  In addition it seems that it would be a great adventure and chance to see a lot of the country.  Probably take a week or so and spend a few days here and there along the way.

So, to my question, what are your thoughts about driving from Manila to Davao?
Anybody done this journey, or any other long distance driving?
My asawa is worried about all sorts of safety issues, bandits etc.,  Is she right to be worried, is this a crazy idea?

Be interested to hear your thoughts.

Thanks
Londoner at heart

Offline FMSINC

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: Driving from Manila to Davao
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 06:53:04 AM »
I bought my Montero in Manila and drove it down to Roxas City saved around 55,000 Piso on the price.

I had a problem with the local dealership not wanting to cover warranty work as they had not sold me the car had to call Manila dealer I bought it from they informed the local dealer they would service the car or could loose there franchise.

As far as driving to Davao I have no idea how safe the roads are down there outside the city best to see if you can catch a ro-ro from manila to Davao

Good Luck

Offline iamjames

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 08:31:51 AM »
Isn't life dangerous and short enough without playing Russian roulette on Philippine roads?

Offline Big daddy Ray

• Our Palawan Experience
  • Sr Member
    • Our Palawan Experience
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 10:22:35 AM »
Wow....that might be fun...or could be a nightmare...that's a long way to go and kinda expensive on the transportation costs....I would check with the ferry companies and see how much they would charge to transport the truck first...then see if it is worth the trip...I would not have it in my bones to island hop and drive from Manila to Davao...there are just too many variables on a trip like that....I would plan it if I could get it a LOT cheaper in Manila I would take it by ferry from Manila to Davao straight shot if possible....if you drive it...you "new" truck ain't gonna be so new when you get it home...haha! Just my two cents...
Meeting the right person as your partner in life that laughs at your farts.... is a blessing!

Offline David690

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 02:29:35 PM »
I bought my Montero in Manila and drove it down to Roxas City saved around 55,000 Piso on the price.

I had a problem with the local dealership not wanting to cover warranty work as they had not sold me the car had to call Manila dealer I bought it from they informed the local dealer they would service the car or could loose there franchise.

As far as driving to Davao I have no idea how safe the roads are down there outside the city best to see if you can catch a ro-ro from manila to Davao

Good Luck

Yes I would have to get some written guarantee from the dealer in Davao that they would honor the warranty etc.
Getting the ro-ro all the way defeats a some of the objective which is to explore the country lol.
Londoner at heart

Offline David690

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 02:32:50 PM »
Wow....that might be fun...or could be a nightmare...that's a long way to go and kinda expensive on the transportation costs....I would check with the ferry companies and see how much they would charge to transport the truck first...then see if it is worth the trip...I would not have it in my bones to island hop and drive from Manila to Davao...there are just too many variables on a trip like that....I would plan it if I could get it a LOT cheaper in Manila I would take it by ferry from Manila to Davao straight shot if possible....if you drive it...you "new" truck ain't gonna be so new when you get it home...haha! Just my two cents...

Its not just about saving money, if I could cover the costs of the journey that would be great.
It is really an adventure and a chance to explore the country.  Not worried about the distance or the effect on the vehicle, its only approx 1,500km and 3 ferries.  The truck would be barely broken in and ready for 1st oil change.
Londoner at heart

Offline David690

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2017, 02:35:24 PM »
Isn't life dangerous and short enough without playing Russian roulette on Philippine roads?

I agree that the driving can be a bit "erratic" but certainly no worse than what I am used to facing every day here in Dubai.  At least in Philippines the speeds are relatively low, here its a racetrack....!!
Londoner at heart

Offline David690

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2017, 02:38:39 PM »
I'm really not too fazed about the journey in respect of the distance, driving etc.  I am only concerned about our personal safety as far as being attacked, robbed, bandits etc.
Surely someone on here has done a decent road trip......??
Londoner at heart

Offline FMSINC

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2017, 05:10:04 PM »
Found this on line may help you avoid theses areas there are currently 27 people held by terrorists in the south done become a number on the list

The risk of kidnap is especially hazardous for tourists because the terror groups target foreigners for the high profile publicity - and the high ransom they can obtain from relatively wealthy families. Thankfully, these crimes are not widespread. The following locations carry a higher risk of kidnapping and should be avoided:

Sarangani Province
North Cotabato Province
South Cotabato Province
General Santos City
Sultan Kudarat Province
Lanao del Sur Province
Lanao del Norte Province
Iligan City
Pangutaran Island

Offline David690

• Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2017, 05:35:18 PM »
Found this on line may help you avoid theses areas there are currently 27 people held by terrorists in the south done become a number on the list

The risk of kidnap is especially hazardous for tourists because the terror groups target foreigners for the high profile publicity - and the high ransom they can obtain from relatively wealthy families. Thankfully, these crimes are not widespread. The following locations carry a higher risk of kidnapping and should be avoided:

Sarangani Province
North Cotabato Province
South Cotabato Province
General Santos City
Sultan Kudarat Province
Lanao del Sur Province
Lanao del Norte Province
Iligan City
Pangutaran Island

Thank you for the list.
I wouldn't be traveling in any of those areas.
Londoner at heart

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2017, 06:33:21 PM »
I'm guessing you would take the roads down the "Luzon Tail" to the ferry to Samar. Then drive down Samar to the bridge to Leyte then over to one of the west coast cities for a ferry to Bohol.  Then Through Bohol to the ferry to Mindanao then drive the rest of the way.

I can tell you that there is little to worry about on Samar and Leyte islands.  Probably the Bicol regions and some of the possible Mindanao regions that you need to watch for. 
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline David690

• Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2017, 07:22:57 PM »
I'm guessing you would take the roads down the "Luzon Tail" to the ferry to Samar. Then drive down Samar to the bridge to Leyte then over to one of the west coast cities for a ferry to Bohol.  Then Through Bohol to the ferry to Mindanao then drive the rest of the way.

I can tell you that there is little to worry about on Samar and Leyte islands.  Probably the Bicol regions and some of the possible Mindanao regions that you need to watch for.

Not quite.  This would be my route.........
Manila
Lipa
Lucena
Gumaca
Catauag
Liboro
Sorsogon
Matnog
Ferry to San Isdro
Calbayog
Catbalogan
Tanauan
Sogod
San Francisco
San Ricardo to Surgao ferry
Sison
Tubod
Kitcharao
Jabonga
Santiago
Cabadaran
Bayugan
Rosario
Monkayo
Tagum
Davao

1,500 km and 2 ferries end to end.
Londoner at heart

Offline sussexrob

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2017, 12:18:33 AM »
David,
This is something I am also planning later in the year.   I would suggest you simply google  " drive manila to davao"  and read the article by Grace Dousel on the Philippine flight network site.
She started the journey in July 2016 and has written a diary of the events and photos included.
Very interesting trip, and the one my wife are planning to follow.  Do not see too many problems, especially if like us, you are not doing it in a rush.   Good luck .

Robert

Offline David690

• Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2017, 02:56:13 AM »
David,
This is something I am also planning later in the year.   I would suggest you simply google  " drive manila to davao"  and read the article by Grace Dousel on the Philippine flight network site.
She started the journey in July 2016 and has written a diary of the events and photos included.
Very interesting trip, and the one my wife are planning to follow.  Do not see too many problems, especially if like us, you are not doing it in a rush.   Good luck .

Robert

Thanks for that Robert.  I will check out the article.  Yes it sounds like a great trip.  Any idea when you might be making it yourself?
Cheers
Londoner at heart

Offline hitekcountry

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2017, 02:08:27 PM »
Two things I would do if I was to buy a new vehicle and drive that long trip, both these ideas are about safety and protection.

Before leaving Manila I would have the windows of the truck heavily tinted. Thatís not a fashion statement itís a safety issue. As youíre driving thru an area if everyone can easily see you, anyone that is up to no good can evaluate what amount of risk you pose if they decide to rob you or to do whatever. If the windows are tinted to the point they canít see who is inside, itís impossible to assess the risk theyíre taking in attacking the unknown occupants of the vehicle. They have no way of knowing if the truck is full of heavily armed PNP or some easy target. Predators donít like attacking when they canít evaluate the risk.

Heavily tinted window on vehicles is very common in the Philippines; anyone that can afford it will have it done.

The other thing is I would install a dash cam, Iíve had one on my Jeep for almost two years now and for me itís a must have. Iíve had a couple of near misses that with just a split second difference in time would have resulted in serious accidents. In both cases there could have been a dispute as to who was at fault but with the video evidence there would be no dispute. In both cases the other guy ran the red light and I have a copy of the video on my computer. Having absolute proof of what happens is to me priceless and if I was to do any driving in the Philippines I would for sure have a dash cam everywhere I went.