Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats
Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Those darn lizards!  (Read 9098 times)

Offline HappyBee

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Those darn lizards!
« on: July 06, 2017, 10:08:58 AM »
I've been living with this for years now and finally about to flip my lid! How do we deal with those lizards / geckos that seem to get in anywhere and poop everywhere (including on us)?!

Has anyone found any solutions that work?

We don't use air con because we don't need it where we are. So aside from that, what can we do to get rid of them?

We used to have a cat who loved eating them but he has since decided he doesn't want to live with us. The lizards, however, remain no matter what I do.

Are there any surfaces they can't grip on to? Perhaps I could use that for a ceiling  :-\
^^ Just my personal opinion... take it or leave it!

Offline lost_in_samoa

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: Those darn lizards!
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 10:34:24 AM »
How do we deal with those lizards / geckos

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fp0sRmpy5xM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fp0sRmpy5xM</a>

I've got a few of these around.  They work okay.  Small crickets are the best bait.

The nieces feed the botiki we harvest to our poultry.

Hope this helps.

Offline lost_in_samoa

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 10:38:52 AM »
poop everywhere

I forgot to mention.  We learned to put our toothbrushes in zip-locks. 

Nothing like added flavor first thing in the morning!

Offline balutsky

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 12:53:41 PM »
I've been living with this for years now and finally about to flip my lid! How do we deal with those lizards / geckos that seem to get in anywhere and poop everywhere (including on us)?!

Has anyone found any solutions that work?

We don't use air con because we don't need it where we are. So aside from that, what can we do to get rid of them?

We used to have a cat who loved eating them but he has since decided he doesn't want to live with us. The lizards, however, remain no matter what I do.

Are there any surfaces they can't grip on to? Perhaps I could use that for a ceiling  :-\
Besides the poop as you described, they are actually harmless and good of getting rid of mosquitoes.  I rather have them that getting all those nasty sickness that mosquitoes carries like dengue.

Offline JD

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 01:37:07 PM »
Lizard Kabobs!  :D

Offline HappyBee

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 11:34:39 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fp0sRmpy5xM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fp0sRmpy5xM</a>

I've got a few of these around.  They work okay.  Small crickets are the best bait.

The nieces feed the botiki we harvest to our poultry.

Hope this helps.

Neat! Now I just have to work out how to catch the crickets  ;)

Offline suzukig1

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2017, 10:52:12 AM »
Neat! Now I just have to work out how to catch the crickets  ;)

Apparently crickets like sugar.  Use the same bottle method with sugar in the bottle to catch the crickets.  Wait long enough and the lizards will follow.

http://www.wikihow.com/Catch-Crickets

Offline jjcabgou

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2017, 10:54:04 AM »
Besides the poop as you described, they are actually harmless and good of getting rid of mosquitoes.  I rather have them that getting all those nasty sickness that mosquitoes carries like dengue.

I got used to gecko's living as guests in the house while on Okinawa.   I now welcome their presence as they spend their evenings eating insects.   

Offline balutsky

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2017, 11:48:04 AM »
I got used to gecko's living as guests in the house while on Okinawa.   I now welcome their presence as they spend their evenings eating insects.
No idea what the fuzz is with these harmless creatures that actually helps in controlling and ridding of all these insects and mosquitoes that carries disease.

Offline FastWalk

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2017, 12:31:59 PM »
The lizards are great.  For extra entertainment can lead them around the wall and ceiling with a laser pointer.  They will follow it.

Remember, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

Offline HappyBee

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2017, 03:12:40 PM »
Apparently crickets like sugar.  Use the same bottle method with sugar in the bottle to catch the crickets.  Wait long enough and the lizards will follow.

http://www.wikihow.com/Catch-Crickets

Excellent! Thanks :)

Offline HappyBee

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2017, 03:15:55 PM »
No idea what the fuzz is with these harmless creatures that actually helps in controlling and ridding of all these insects and mosquitoes that carries disease.

It's just the constant having to clean up their poop and also getting pooped on, while eating, sleeping or trying to sit and relax. Guess it's a problem for me because I'm the one who cleans the house!

Offline balutsky

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2017, 04:10:59 PM »
It's just the constant having to clean up their poop and also getting pooped on, while eating, sleeping or trying to sit and relax. Guess it's a problem for me because I'm the one who cleans the house!
I guess you ain't a "Happy Bee"  after all.   :) Cheers.

Offline HappyBee

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2017, 06:53:16 PM »
I guess you ain't a "Happy Bee"  after all.   :) Cheers.

Still happy (or trying to be). Life's too short to be otherwise :)

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2017, 02:25:06 PM »
I don't mind them as long as they stay on the walls and not the ceilings.  Tina found some "foam/rubber" style balls.  On top of those my parents sent some hackey sacs and hard foam balls for the kids and they no longer use.  I started aiming for the lizards on the ceiling when i saw them and in about 3 months they rarely went up there.  After about a year they just stopped.  Once in a while we still see one up there but even my doubting Tina(She swore there was no way to stop them) now will throw a ball at one.  Been months since we last saw one trying out the danger zone.
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.