Author Topic: Mail forwarding and address.  (Read 6615 times)

Offline lost_in_samoa

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: Mail forwarding and address.
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2018, 08:50:01 AM »
What a bunch of legal blaah, blaah, blabbity blaah.

Yeah, it is a sorry state of things.  The farmers are pretty conscientious about their fences.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2018, 09:02:36 AM »
Thank you all for this information. What a bunch of legal blaah, blaah, blabbity blaah. You can not get more specific than that. Basically you must live there over 6 months and be sure you change your address with all the necessary important stuff. Especially the drivers licence and voter registration. I thought may be, because I did move from one state to the next. Well then, I may have to move for 7 months after I retire. Thank you all again.
What you might wish to do, is examine what your tax liabilities will be once retired, to see if it would be worth the trouble and if so and if it will mean a huge tax savings, then consider it. I know that having a Florida residence over NY has saved me a fortune in taxes over the years. Whatever you decide to do, you have enough time to get all your ducks in a row, you might also wish to start keeping track of all your snail mail, so you can notify those you wish to when you move and not notify others, so you can cut out whatever mail you need to before moving and if you do not put in a forwarding address to the post office when you move, you will get rid of most of the junk mail too.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2018, 09:04:18 AM »
Maybe I got wrong info.  I am not going to weed through all that crap.  Check out Texas.  I am pretty sure there is someone on here who did Texas and never lived there so they should be able to tell you.
Whatever floats your boat.

Offline MotorSarge

• Sr Member
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2019, 03:40:31 AM »
Well I 'm glad I found this topic because it answers some of my questions on taxes and residency if making a move temporarily or permanent.
I do believe now that all states are requiring proof of residency (utility bill /school enrollment, etc) to obtain a drivers license now under the Real ID act?
Does anybody here use what is called a virtual mail box?  If so what are the average costs and is it worth it?

Thanx,
MS

Offline clarkee

• Sr Member
  • Retired Air Reserve Technician
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2019, 11:05:12 PM »
Got a question about mail forwarding.  Do you use your mail forwarding address to give to your bank, social security etc... or do you provide your Philippine residential address? I know US banks want to see a US physical address and I was wondering if your mail forwarding address is sufficient. I was thinking about using USglobalmail.com because they provide a street address in Dallas where I'm originally from and I'm familiar with the street. Once I'm in the Philippines I will look into a mail box at a RAO and have all my mail forwarded from my service in the US. Which is more beneficial in receiving correspondence (dead or alive letters) from social security or DFAS your mail forwarding address or your RAO mail box address.  I would like to keep most of my mail from entering the Philippine postal system as possible. I understand the RAO's has an FPO address that retired military can obtain for an annual fee which allows for receiving mail as well as sending mail. Any suggestions on this matter?

Offline MotorSarge

• Sr Member
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2019, 04:02:39 AM »
Is there only 1 RAO in PI?
How would you get your mail from the RAO to where you are residing?
MS

Offline clarkee

• Sr Member
  • Retired Air Reserve Technician
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2019, 05:31:14 AM »
Not sure how you would get your mail from a RAO to possibly the province or anywhere else.  I've heard of it being done somehow.  As far as RAO's in the Philippines, well there's one in Angeles, Barretto by Subic and there's one in Iloilo city so I have been told. Possibly others but not sure.

Offline MotorSarge

• Sr Member
« Reply #22 on: Today at 06:37:41 AM »
Thank you,

2 is better than one I guess...and electronic is better than none?
MS