Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Cost of living, don't be fooled  (Read 26800 times)

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
Re: Cost of living, don't be fooled
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2018, 07:29:57 PM »
PhilHealth is not real insurance, it basically covers nothing.

Immigration also means an ACR fee plus a tourist has to leave every 36 months and then there are ECC fees, a person needs to take them all into account, none by themselves are a big deal but if someone gets very sick without REAL insurance then it could be a big deal and if they do not have the cash or a high value credit credit card, then they may just die.
http://www.immigration.gov.ph/visa-requirements/non-immigrant-visa/temporary-visitor-visa/extension-of-authorized-stay-beyond-59-days

PhilHealth did not impress me.  When my son was born my wife had complications as he was almost a month earlier than he was going to be scheduled.  She was in the hospital nine days and had blood transfusions and all the other stuff.  Between my boy's bill and my wife's, it totaled up to about 195k pesos. PhilHealth paid 17.5k.  So, much for all this talk you hear from other expats about PhilHealth paying about 50%.
Whatever floats your boat.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2018, 07:36:17 PM »
PhilHealth paid 17.5k. 
Exactly my point, it now cost I believe p17,000 and only paid you around the same, so why even bother except having it without a credit card should get a person admitted into a hospital, well until they want more money up front.

As I had written before somewhere on here, one guy I know it cost him 1.25 million pesos for stents and a hospital stay for a heart attack. I have heard from others who spent around the same amount to be treated for other similar issues. I just do not want anyone to think PhilHealth is health insurance, it is IMO nothing but fluff when it has to be used for any real issues, now break a toe nail and it should work.  ;)
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2018, 07:37:16 PM »
Exactly my point, it now cost I believe p17,000 and only paid you around the same, so why even bother except having it without a credit card should get a person admitted into a hospital, well until they want more money up front.

As I had written before somewhere on here, one guy I know it cost him 1.25 million pesos for stents and a hospital stay for a heart attack. I have heard from others who spent around the same amount to be treated for other similar issues. I just do not want anyone to think PhilHealth is health insurance, it is IMO nothing but fluff when it has to be used for any real issues, not break a toe nail and it should work.  ;)

Yeah, well my point was that I was agreeing with you.  I was just giving my reason.

Offline chimellie

« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2018, 07:38:52 PM »
You may be leaving out immigration fees and health insurance costs, that would be at least another $200 a month, many people seem to not include those in costs and then comes socking away some for a rainy day or an exit plan.

Then, a one bedroom apartment on the beach, how big is it, usually one room, IMO one room or 18 sq meters does not an apartment make, many people in Cebu call a studio an apartment.
Yeah maybe a tiny place, so after adding another $200 a month it comes to about $1000 a month, still cheap.

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2018, 07:40:04 PM »
They lived cheap on Giligan's Island too.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2018, 07:40:54 PM »
Yeah, well my point was that I was agreeing with you.  I was just giving my reason.
Yup Bud, we were agreeing, my post was more directed at Chuck and members who need to be aware of what they need to have and IMO only, $1,000 a month will not cut it when all other items are included.

I often laugh when someone tells me they come here because rents are so cheap, well where they left they had a few thousand sq foot house and now they live in a studio, of course that cost less.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2018, 07:42:06 PM »
PhilHealth is not real insurance, it basically covers nothing.

Immigration also means an ACR fee plus a tourist has to leave every 36 months and then there are ECC fees, a person needs to take them all into account, none by themselves are a big deal but if someone gets very sick without REAL insurance then it could be a big deal and if they do not have the cash or a high value credit credit card, then they may just die.
http://www.immigration.gov.ph/visa-requirements/non-immigrant-visa/temporary-visitor-visa/extension-of-authorized-stay-beyond-59-days

Sorry Lee did not know you where an expert on PhilHealth, have you used it?   I must be wasting my php 17K, but of course it only doesn't cover the Z Plan.  Damn the ECC fee is less than php 1K and if I remember correctly you pay for it except the php 500 express fee during one of the extensions.  I was including the ACR fee in the total already, it is $50 dollars.  If you come here on a 9a and not planned on leaving after 36 months then you did not do the research, seems to be a personal problem.  If you came here single and married a Pinay prior to the 36 months leave and comeback on a BB, then apply for a 13a.  The individual has that choice plus SRRV.
Bottom line Visa fee here are reasonable.

Chuck
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

Offline bigrod

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2018, 07:43:34 PM »

As I had written before somewhere on here, one guy I know it cost him 1.25 million pesos for stents and a hospital stay for a heart attack. I have heard from others who spent around the same amount to be treated for other similar issues. I just do not want anyone to think PhilHealth is health insurance, it is IMO nothing but fluff when it has to be used for any real issues, now break a toe nail and it should work.  ;)

When BudM had the kid they were paying php 2400 a year.

Chuck

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2018, 07:45:43 PM »
Sorry Lee did not know you where an expert on PhilHealth, have you used it?   I must be wasting my php 17K, but of course it only doesn't cover the Z Plan. 
Chuck
Chuck I am not an expert on anything, I just know of many expats that expected it to cover items and it covered basically very little. So please tell us, if a person breaks a leg or has a heart attack, how much will it cover???

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2018, 07:53:25 PM »
When BudM had the kid they were paying php 2400 a year.

Chuck

My wife had the kid and I don't bother with PhilHealth.  She is covered with it, I haven't figured out if I am or not because no one knows what is going on with it.  I carried over my health insurance from work and I have other insurance for them besides PhilHealth.  No matter. Every bit of it takes a damn lawyer to figure out what it all says.  And from '79 on I have been paying for health insurance and used it maybe 3 or 4 times because of bad cases of the flu and the other being physicals.  And now, the hospital bill for my boy.
 And if nothing goes wrong, you could always self insure but I am not taking that chance.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2018, 07:56:55 PM »
Here is what Z Benefits pays for certain items.

Breast Cancer
(stage 0 to IIIA)
P100,000

Prostate Cancer
(low to intermediate risk)
P100,000

Please read the rest at the link above, so it covers less than $2,000 for cancers, now how much would the hospital costs be for those cancers?

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2018, 08:01:53 PM »
As for a heart attack, I already know what the approx cost is because I know of a couple of people who had them while in Cebu but prices vary, below is what z coverage says for standard risk, both guys paid from p1 mil to p1.25 mil
Coronary Artery Bypass Graft Surgery (standard risk)
P550,000

All I am trying to stress is that it is a crap shoot trying to depend on PhilHealth for full coverage of many health treatments, everyone mileage may vary.

Offline bigrod

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2018, 08:09:56 PM »
Chuck I am not an expert on anything, I just know of many expats that expected it to cover items and it covered basically very little. So please tell us, if a person breaks a leg or has a heart attack, how much will it cover???

Lee your a big boy and have the same tools available that I have please google it. Never said Philhealth is full coverage on anything, nether does their website, people need to read and understand the coverage. I know what they paid for my father-in-law when he was hospitalized a few years ago and he paid nothing since he was a senior.  As I stated earlier foreigners do not get the Z Plan coverage.  By the way waiting for you to post the changes to opening bank accounts that you thought happened earlier this year.  I can find nothing and my BDO manager has seen/heard nothing.

Chuck

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2018, 08:17:07 PM »
Lee your a big boy and have the same tools available that I have please google it. Never said Philhealth is full coverage on anything, nether does their website, people need to read and understand the coverage. I know what they paid for my father-in-law when he was hospitalized a few years ago and he paid nothing since he was a senior.  As I stated earlier foreigners do not get the Z Plan coverage.  By the way waiting for you to post the changes to opening bank accounts that you thought happened earlier this year.  I can find nothing and my BDO manager has seen/heard nothing.

Chuck
I posted what I can find and yes foreigners cannot get the coverage that locals can and definitely not the coverage of senior locals, so I already looked it up, the way I figure it, if an expat has a heart attack it will likely cost them between half a million pesos and three quarters of a million pesos on top of PhilHealth, now that seems very far away to me from $1,000 a month, so basically unless they have a high value credit card or a lot of cash, they are likely going to die.

As for the bank account, you already know that nothing here is as it seems, or you should, so when 4 banks now have told me the same thing now including China Bank, it must be written somewhere that the banks get and not online, ask you bank manager if they will recommend a local BDO in Cebu to open an account for my tourist friend, there is one on Osmena circle we can easily go to, I think not but I will be happy if they will help us to do it, as it is ruining my friends plans to buy a condo.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2018, 08:37:16 PM »
Lee your a big boy and have the same tools available that I have please google it.
Chuck
I guess you must be better at using Google than I am, I tried and could not find out any coverage besides Z coverage which would be of no use to any of us. Maybe you can have better luck than I did?

BTW, if your bank manager can help my friend open an account then I am sure he or I would be very happy to buy you and your wife a nice steak dinner.