Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: public transportation verses our own and traffic  (Read 167551 times)

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
public transportation verses our own and traffic
« on: March 22, 2018, 03:14:18 PM »
Sure, it is a lot cheaper and better to live here without a car when you only need to do without one two or three months out of the year.
Whatever floats your boat.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
Re: public transportation verses our own and traffic
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 03:20:28 PM »
Sure, it is a lot cheaper and better to live here without a car when you only need to do without one two or three months out of the year.
No argument from me on that, it also would depend a lot on where a person lives, I am only saying it cost us less to take taxis while in Cebu than own a car, if we lived here full time, then I still do not think we would own a car, I could rent one for the few times we needed one for more than back and forth to the places we go.

BTW I have a friend who lives here 11 months a year and he also does not wish to own a car and feels it is cheaper and safer for him to take taxis but it is sure not as convenient, I have to admit that I miss having my own vehicle when we are here.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 03:34:54 PM »
Yah, I see where you are coming from but I thought so too.  I went about 3 and a half years relying on public transportation and hired drivers and my wife still uses FX most of the time going back and forth and conducting business.   It catches up with you sooner or later doing without one if you ask me.

Offline medic3500

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2018, 12:21:42 PM »
Been here six years still no car. But I'm in Manila where transportation is abundant. Uber and Grab are my normal go to if we are going anywhere other than the closest SM which is a 7-8 min trike ride. I've done the homework what a car would cost and maintain and I'm still coming up cheaper using public transportation. And the headache is on their driver not me.

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2018, 07:01:50 PM »
I don't think anyone said that public transport is not cheaper.  After a prolonged time, it is just a pain in the butt.  And the driving around here is not as bad as a lot of people make it out to be.  There are certain areas that I avoid driving in during rush hour with Quezon City being one of them.  Just like there are several cities in the US that I refused to drive through during rush hour even on the interstate.  In general, how freaking terrible the traffic is here is all blown up to be worse than it is.

Offline medic3500

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2018, 06:52:57 PM »
I'm in QC and the frustrations are real. Qurino Hwy and Commonwealth the two major roads going into the heart of the city. Both are nightmares 0500-2300 daily.

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2018, 12:33:57 AM »
I'm in QC and the frustrations are real. Qurino Hwy and Commonwealth the two major roads going into the heart of the city. Both are nightmares 0500-2300 daily.

Ahhh, ok.  Not only will I avoid Quezon City during rush hour, I will avoid it all day long daily.  Although I have gone through it on Sunday mornings where I time it for around 7 to 8 heading north and it wasn't too bad.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2018, 01:18:53 AM »

Our niece attends Adamson University just a few blocks NE of Rizal Park. Many nights she doesn't get home until after midnight due to the traffic. It's often 4-5 hours to get from downtown Manila to the house, a distance of roughly 14 miles (20 kilometers) as the crow flies. We all look forward to her graduation so she can return to more normal hours (and get some much needed sleep). I avoid Quirino Hwy and Commonwealth Ave unless absolutely necessary. Even short tips from the house become major inconveniences when forced to drive either of those routes
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2018, 08:19:50 AM »
The price of taxis in Cebu have gone up significantly, we pay around an extra p20 on a p60 trip with all the traffic but we still find it very economical. Now that it is Holy week, traffic has gone down a lot, on Tuesday and yesterday Wednesday, Cebu became a pleasure to travel around in again, so how is traffic where you are on Holy week, today Thursday I suspect there will be no traffic at all and Friday Cebu will no doubt become a Ghost town, past Good Friday's I have walked around Cebu and the air becomes so fresh that it becomes a real pleasure to breath.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2018, 09:09:04 AM »
Living in Northern Samar I use my bike for travel from municipality to municipality in Nothern Samar.  And really, only the west side of Northern Samar.  After that, vans are what I buy rides in to connect to other areas further out.  To get around town, the bike is all I need and I can get pretty much anywhere in a quick time. 
There are still so many here with no private vehicle of any size that getting around is pretty much only slowed down by pedestrians acting like idiots more than heavy traffic. 
Granted, since Duterte did his new setup where every department must use all their money by year's end.....road construction, for the first time since I've been here in 5 years is becoming an issue as there are 6 patches of roadwork that I know of, with at least 1 major bridge all being worked on and I only travel the south side of the city proper.  I've been told there are multiple projects going on on the north side also. 
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2018, 09:29:14 AM »

I did not start this thread.  My post was broken off and is a response to another.

Offline Lee2

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2018, 09:36:50 AM »
I did not start this thread.  My post was broken off and is a response to another.
Yes that is correct, I often break off posts that end up way off topic, the one I took this from was about a Restaurant in Cebu but it was my fault that it ended up also about traffic, my mistake, sorry for any confusion it has caused anyone.

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2018, 09:41:50 AM »
10-4.  No problem.  Just wanted to make sure I wasn't the one starting the thread with a comment out of the wild blue looking to start something.

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2018, 10:18:01 AM »
Always minimum traffic during Holy Week where we live.
We have our own vehicles, but seldom go out of town on long drives, we hire a vehicle with driver for that.
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline suzukig1

• Sr Member
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2018, 02:27:42 PM »
One reason to own a car is for emergency trips to the hospital.

3 times so far for us.  None life threatening but 2 were scary at the time.

1. Niece, 2 years old, went into convulsions at around 11pm.  Called her doctor and he met everyone at the hospital.  (One reason to have a regular doctor.)

2. Neighbor's mother was experiencing shortness of breath.  My wife drove them to the hospital.  It turned out not to be too severe.  They own a car but it was out at the time.

3. Neighbor kid fell and hit his head.  Lots of blood made it look much worse than it was.  My wife drove him to the hospital to get stitched up.