Author Topic: public transportation verses our own and traffic  (Read 163873 times)

Offline M.C.A.

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: public transportation verses our own and traffic
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2018, 07:14:23 PM »
My first year we tried the public transportation and it was okay at first but it began to get real old fast, the trikes are not comfortable and not much privacy when eating out, I wanted to say more but I'll leave it there, okay another mouth to feed and a stranger or in-law to drag around.  Jeepney's seem always crammed to the max but it's the cheapest form of transportation the trike is not cheap, example 28 pesos for a jeepney ride the same distance with the trike is 300 pesos.

I mainly ride my bike with a basket to the local market and all around the municipality but it feels terrific to get into my old car an 89 Mitsubishi Lancer, 5 speed it beats them all and it cost me 65,000 pesos the only negative in owning a vehicle is the upkeep costs the parts are much more than a motorcycle but you sure can carry a whole lot more people faster and comfortably, it's the best way to get out for the whole family. 

I was given a car sales brochure while at McDonald's last month and still have it, you can purchase a brand new Suzuki vehicle several models and engine sizes for around 700,000 pesos, I've seen a few of these models and they look pretty good.

Now I am looking for another bike a 10 speed this time and Japanese Surplus again for longer trips to the bank or long runs it's a great way to get exercise and get out and for me and a more pleasurable experience, I couldn't imagine waiting for 2-4 hrs in traffic only to travel 15 miles geez I've seen bikes in Manila but I'm sure not all area's have room for one.

Walking is not fun, I did this my first year and it was a real drag along with the animals to many people trike drivers bugging you and if you don't ride the insults in Philippine language or the kids think you want to give away money it seems to draw too much attention and also the dirty roads and incredible heat, I don't recommend walking ever.
My views would be from someone who lives out in the province close to in-laws on a pension.  Norwegian and French heritage.

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2018, 08:34:47 PM »
My first year we tried the public transportation and it was okay at first but it began to get real old fast, the trikes are not comfortable and not much privacy when eating out, I wanted to say more but I'll leave it there, okay another mouth to feed and a stranger or in-law to drag around.  Jeepney's seem always crammed to the max but it's the cheapest form of transportation the trike is not cheap, example 28 pesos for a jeepney ride the same distance with the trike is 300 pesos.

I mainly ride my bike with a basket to the local market and all around the municipality but it feels terrific to get into my old car an 89 Mitsubishi Lancer, 5 speed it beats them all and it cost me 65,000 pesos the only negative in owning a vehicle is the upkeep costs the parts are much more than a motorcycle but you sure can carry a whole lot more people faster and comfortably, it's the best way to get out for the whole family. 

I was given a car sales brochure while at McDonald's last month and still have it, you can purchase a brand new Suzuki vehicle several models and engine sizes for around 700,000 pesos, I've seen a few of these models and they look pretty good.

Now I am looking for another bike a 10 speed this time and Japanese Surplus again for longer trips to the bank or long runs it's a great way to get exercise and get out and for me and a more pleasurable experience, I couldn't imagine waiting for 2-4 hrs in traffic only to travel 15 miles geez I've seen bikes in Manila but I'm sure not all area's have room for one.

Walking is not fun, I did this my first year and it was a real drag along with the animals to many people trike drivers bugging you and if you don't ride the insults in Philippine language or the kids think you want to give away money it seems to draw too much attention and also the dirty roads and incredible heat, I don't recommend walking ever.
I walk most mornings.  But I usually start the walk around 5:45.  Walk about an hour for exercise and just walk the streets in some form or fashion.  The kids are not out in force, and after 5 years most stopped begging as I always say "Waray"(nothing) as I refuse to carry money with me on these walks now days.  The local bums are usually still asleep on whatever business porch they fell asleep on the night before and the people I see are by far more the other people out for exercise than anything.  Some mornings I see young pulis in training from the training grounds that are less than a mile from my house.  Running in formation down the streets.  Other times as I go by the plaza it's got anywhere from 15 up to over 50 running around the track inside it's gates/walls. 
Also, very few vehicles out that time in the morning in Catarman so the pollution is pretty much nil. 
When I first got here I would walk 2-3 times a day and the late morning and afternoon walks would turn out to be full of begging kids, pollution and all the other junk you talked about.  But getting up early at the break of dawn, and in the cooler temps really works out for me much better.
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2018, 10:34:26 PM »
One reason to own a car is for emergency trips to the hospital.

3 times so far for us.  None life threatening but 2 were scary at the time.

1. Niece, 2 years old, went into convulsions at around 11pm.  Called her doctor and he met everyone at the hospital.  (One reason to have a regular doctor.)

2. Neighbor's mother was experiencing shortness of breath.  My wife drove them to the hospital.  It turned out not to be too severe.  They own a car but it was out at the time.

3. Neighbor kid fell and hit his head.  Lots of blood made it look much worse than it was.  My wife drove him to the hospital to get stitched up.

Other reasons I gave in and went and got a vehicle.  Besides it being more convenient for me, my boy is a little less than four and the way he messes with everything and dismantles toys, etc, and runs around outside, I am surprised that he has not cut himself or busted his knee or arm or anything yet.  And if the day comes he does hurt himself that I need to take him to the emergency room, I will have to take his mother too as she near faints if he stubs a toe or jams a finger so I can just imagine.

As far as carrying relatives around as someone else mentioned, they know better.  It just doesn't happen unless I want it to happen.  I do have a few cousins who have families and live down in Laguna and are OFW.  If they have a very early flight out or a very early arrival in the morning, they might stay at my place, after my wife has invited them or they asked.  She checks with me before giving the ok although I know she has pretty much told them I would be ok with it.  Driving in the middle of the night will take me about 15 minutes to or from airport and I have no problem helping them out.  Of course, the ones that stay over for a few hours or overnight, I am ok with and do not mind at all.  The few people I don't have time for, know not to bother asking or even attempt to come around.

So, in my opinion, I need some wheels because as I said earlier, it finally got tiresome the other way.  I also had bikes back in the 70s and 80s but I am pretty sure, in the Metro area, I won't drive without four wheels under me.  Except for the e-bike I take back and forth to the subdivision gate but not outside in traffic.
Whatever floats your boat.

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2018, 11:31:15 PM »
I am no one's chauffer except for my wife when I drive her to the supermarket during our weekly grocery shopping. I just drop her off, I go back home to do whatever and pick her up when she's done shopping.
I seldom drive at night or out of town unless it's an emergency.
Our hospital is only a 1/4 mile away and Mercury drug store is just accross the street from where we live.
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline jjcabgou

• Sr Member
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2018, 10:41:06 AM »
We have a car, and I cant imagine living here without a vehicle, for many of the reasons others have already mentioned.   I would feel like a prisoner without my own vehicle.   This goes back to other posts regarding life here in the Philippines.    Everybody is different though and some prefer the much simpler life.   

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2018, 01:04:21 PM »
I am with the general conscience of several others on this thread.  It doesn't matter that I have a vehicle.  Other than giving my wife an occasional ride somewhere, I don't chauffeur anyone around.  I might give someone a ride where I am going or maybe decided to help someone out and offer them a ride even though they had all intentions of taking public transportation but there is no two ways about it.  I am not going to be a chauffeur for anyone.

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2018, 01:54:32 PM »
If I had the money, I would convert a 3/4 ton self contained van or mini-bus like an RV but with an electric motor including a personal mechanic/driver, airconditioning, mini kitchen, toilet, shower, beds for 6 that has a 500 mile range per charge. I would certainly be out and about more often where ever we wanted to go in Luzon. Traffic wouldn't be too much of an issue since we're traveling in comfort.
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline David690

• Sr Member
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2018, 06:23:03 PM »
Personally I wouldn't want to be without my pickup truck.  It's our adventure vehicle for weekend forays outa town.  The wife uses her own car for shopping, errands etc.  On all the numerous stays here before we moved here full-time, we used taxis everywhere.  It's OK until you need one in a hurry or it's busy leaving a mall and the taxi queue is 100 persons long.  I realise that this will, most likely be the last new car I will ever own, so I'm gonna make the most of it.  Driving in traffic in Davao, doesn't freak me out, I'm never in a hurry so if the taxis and jeepneys wanna shove in, be my guest.
Londoner at heart

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2018, 12:00:27 AM »
My biggest issue on owning a vehicle is where to keep it when we're not driving. Our current house is in the middle of a poor barangay. You can't get anything larger than a tricycle to the front of the house. I certainly wouldn't want to leave my vehicle sitting out on the nearest street to be picked over, scratched, bumped into by the locals. If we do decide to rent or build another home, it would definitely have to have a carport or garage, otherwise I'm afraid any vehicle I purchase would be beat up, broken into and stripped of it's parts. Don't get me wrong, I want to own a vehicle, and maybe I will one day. But it will have to be somewhere other than Bagong Silang.

No, we don't live in the PH full time. And yes, I do have a brother in law with a nice car who is usually willing to drive me anywhere I want to go. But there are some places and times I'd like to be able to simply jump in my own SUV with my wife and drive away for the day/weekend/week/month without having to take other family in tow. I hate having to schedule day trips days in advance. Sometimes a guy has to just be able to hop in his truck and go.
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2018, 01:05:23 AM »
Is there enough room for one of these?

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2018, 02:31:44 AM »
Room for the car? Yeah. Room enough for my big ass to fit inside the car? No way, Jose'  :D :D :D
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline FastWalk

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2018, 01:12:01 PM »

that looks cool (i see snow).  can put one on each foot and roller skate.
Remember, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

Offline sonnychiba

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2018, 02:50:53 PM »
We have owned a vehicle since we moved here in 2009. In Negros Occidental, there are not any taxis outside of Bacolod City. Even in the city, there are locations where a taxi is not a common find. We live in a subdivision on the South Side of Bacolod, actually a rural area but still in the City Limits.

We would have to walk a half km, catch a trike to the main road and hope for a taxi. We gotta have a vehicle at home. Yes, it costs to operate but we can be at a private hospitals within 15 minutes from our home in our Isuzu MU-X. Even in the city, the Golden Hour is ticking while waiting for a ambulance to arrive.

Our full coverage insurance is P29,000 per year on the MU-X and it is well worth it. We can get in our own vehicle and go wherever we like when we want. We can take road trips to just about any area in the Philippines without flying or taking a bus . We take a road trip about every month and it is part of this great adventure. We do sometimes have to take the RoRo with the MU-X but once we arrive at our destination, we do not have to rely upon local transportation. We drive to where we want to go.

~ Gary ~
Bacolod City

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2018, 07:12:17 PM »
A pregnant rollerskate?

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2018, 07:16:47 PM »
We have owned a vehicle since we moved here in 2009. In Negros Occidental, there are not any taxis outside of Bacolod City. Even in the city, there are locations where a taxi is not a common find. We live in a subdivision on the South Side of Bacolod, actually a rural area but still in the City Limits.

We would have to walk a half km, catch a trike to the main road and hope for a taxi. We gotta have a vehicle at home. Yes, it costs to operate but we can be at a private hospitals within 15 minutes from our home in our Isuzu MU-X. Even in the city, the Golden Hour is ticking while waiting for a ambulance to arrive.

Our full coverage insurance is P29,000 per year on the MU-X and it is well worth it. We can get in our own vehicle and go wherever we like when we want. We can take road trips to just about any area in the Philippines without flying or taking a bus . We take a road trip about every month and it is part of this great adventure. We do sometimes have to take the RoRo with the MU-X but once we arrive at our destination, we do not have to rely upon local transportation. We drive to where we want to go.

~ Gary ~
Bacolod City
Have you had any need to file a claim on the car?  How did the insurance company respond?  Almost every story I heard the insurance companies here are always looking for a way out(just like the ones in the USA) but can deny payments on simple things like the other vehicle not having insurance and all.  So even full coverage didn't have broadform insurance.