Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats
Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Left Scratching My Head!  (Read 15600 times)

Offline Peter

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Left Scratching My Head!
« on: August 22, 2018, 03:00:41 PM »
Not sure this is the correct board, but I'm sure it will end up in the right place.

Last Monday night, we dropped our (UK) daughter and husband at Clark for their flight home.

On the way back, we popped into a local coffee shop in Dinalupihan, for a bite to eat. The main branch is in the provincial capital of Balanga, about 25 miles away and, AFAIK the branch in our town is the only one outside of there.

My wife ordered a pasta dish and I ordered an omelette. I noticed on the menu that they had a choice of plain, shrimp, cheese or spinach. I asked for a plain one and then said, as an afterthought, make sure it doesn't have any cheese. (I'm not partial to  egg and cheese cooked together.) Yes sir the counter girl said, I'll just check if it is available and let you know in 2 or 3 minutes. I didn't ask who she was checking with, as I assumed (my bad, my bad, my bad) it would be with the kitchen.

We sat down and after about 15 minutes, up comes the wife's pasta. Being used to the Filipino way of serving food, I said to the wife, dig in before it gets cold. Well, we waited and we waited and we waited for mine to appear, until finally the wife called one of the waiters across and asked, in her sarcastic voice, which went over the waiter's head LOL!, how long does it take to make a 2 egg omelette?
I'll go and check madam, he said and off he went. He came back with the manager, who was very apologetic and said the hold up was, and believe this or not , he had to get permission from their main branch to cook and serve a "plain omelette", as their "plain omelette" as advertised on their menu, had cheese in it and they had to account for any non-standard fare!!!!!

I really couldn't keep a straight face and burst out laughing, nearly upsetting the water on the table! Even the wife was speechless.

The omelette, when it eventually came some 25 minutes after the wife's pasta, was cooked to perfection, served with some nice lightly toasted brown bread on the side. Complimentary fries as well, as a softener I suppose.

But I'm still scratching my head though. at what the branch has to go through for, to us anyway, such a simple dish.

More fun in the Philippines  :) :) :)

Peter
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 03:08:53 PM by Peter »
Noli nothis permittere te terere.
Virtus autem corruptibilis est,
summa virtute prorsus corrumpitur,

Offline starrt

• Sr Member
Re: Left Scratching My Head!
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 10:12:29 AM »
Peter,

We have had similar experiences, but as noted here elsewhere by other people, the "best" (worst?) line that we get is, "Sorry, we don't have that available" ...

At least you got to, finally, enjoy the meal.

Thomas

Offline trevor

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 11:35:16 AM »
Welcome to the Philippines. Don't feel too bad about that experience. This is even better. We live in the Far Provience and on our way from Manila at about 7 PM. We stopped at the New Shakey restaurant in San Jose, Nueva Echija ( not sure of the spelling.) Ordered food, pasta and some appetisers and drinks. Everything was served except the main meal for three of us. Well we waited 15 minutes, no food, 30 minutes no food. Wife asked where is the food. I will go check said the waitress, she did not return so now it is 45 minutes. We went to the cashier and paid for what was served. Just as we were walking out the food was placed on the counter. Too late we kept walking.
Just cannot understand what went wrong, Someone not doing their job.
Never look down on anyone and always extend a helping hand. Tomorrow the role may be reverse.
Life is what you make it. Nothing to do with luck.

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 07:10:41 PM »
This stuff is normal.  Went to the local Greenwich Pizza joint.  I wanted to get my order to go.  Wife was in the hospital overnight and I wanted to bring pizza there for her and me and our boys who were all there.

Go up to the counter(no-one else was in line and maybe 4 tables in the dining area were filled) and order 2 of the "double double" deals(4 pizzas total) and was charged the right amount and given a receipt with the right amount.  But, even from the front counter area, I could hear all the fun and games going on back in the kitchen.  I knew then there were going to be issues.  This was about 7pm.

Now, I've done this a lot of times.  This was very accurately at least my 60th time ordering this type of order from that exact location of Greenwich.  Be it company coming that we didn't expect or just too lazy to cook or what have you.  And typically it's a 15-20 minute wait even when busy and a lot is happening.

So, 15 minutes pass....20 minutes pass....25 minutes pass....I go ask for the manager(night shift manager).  The manager comes and asks what the issues is.  I tell him...he disappears into the kitchen for over 5 more minutes and comes out to tell me it will be another 15 minutes.  I ask why, he stumbles over his words and says something completely unintelligible.  I ask him to tell me again as I couldn't understand.  He says wait please as he disappears back into the kitchen for another 5 minutes at least.  Then he comes out with 2 pizzas. They were cold.

I was pissed and demanded my money back.  Got home and called the national number.  Told them what went on.  They said they'd look into it.  I went back a few days later.  The main general manager that I've talked to more than a few times when I dined in and he walk the floor checking on customers saw me and came to talk to me.  Asked me what happened.  I told him the whole story.  The manager(night manager) at that time was new from another store and only been there for about a month.  He pulled relatives from his former store to come work and that night they were all working and he had more than a few complaints from the music blasting in the kitchen to all the yelling going on and all.  When I asked him why he hired him he said he didn't and that upper management placed him at the Catarman location. 

He didn't last long before he was moved on along with his family. 
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 05:40:21 AM by JoeLP »
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline Lee2

• Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2018, 11:29:02 PM »
I decided to move the topic based on the direction I thought it was going to head, which IMO is tunnel vision, yet it could have stayed right where it was, I just thought this section would be better for members and readers to learn from it.

A lot of people seem to have tunnel vision, IMO more so in the Philippines, seen from my personal perspective and experiences, in fact I posted a topic about that somewhere before, from Burger King whose French fry machine was not working, so they would only sell A la carte and lose sales left and right as I stood there, because their meal deal cost less than a soda and whooper would cost and there was no reasoning with the manager to charge me for a meal deal and just not give me the fries. Then there is when visiting any restaurant, be sure to ask what is in stock before even bothering to read the menu and wasting time asking how this or that is, only to be told after you order it that it is out of stock, Then one of the worst IMO was a restaurant right next to the supermarket who had run out of the soda my wife likes, in fact they had run out of all soda, so instead of sending a worker 50 feet to buy soda for p25 or less which they sell for p100 in that restaurant, the answer was out of stock and they lost the profit they could have made.  :o

And then there are many stores the same thing happens in, they lose a sale because they cannot think outside the box, such as in a store selling buy one get one of an item the same price, so they only have one of the one we want such as a sodas an example, so we pick up a can of another soda that cost exactly the same, only to be told that they both have to be the same soda, so I tell them they are out of the other soda, they only had one and I do not want two of the ones they have plenty of, and they would rather lose a sale than use common sense that a sale is better than no sale.

The Philippines is on a planet that often seems to me to be Klingon, it just does not compute many times for me, yet I roll with the punches and laugh them all off and love being there, for the most part. If a person cannot roll with the punches they will no doubt get while living in the Philippines then they either should not live there or should have someone else do their shopping and only eat at home and in fact, maybe only stay home because tunnel vision affects just about everything we might come in contact with. YMMV
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline Tim_L

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2018, 04:24:20 PM »
I feel you all, itís crazy the stuff I see here.  Lol
I went into Burger King yesterday in Ayala Mall for lunch at around 11:45.
Order a double cheeseburger combo. Sorry, all we have is the chicken sandwhich.
Iím like your kidding me, right? This is Burger King and you have no friggen burgers???
Sorry sir, just the chicken sandwhich. I said I donít like chicken. Sorry Sir. Just chicken. Lol
Is this Burger King or chicken king I said to the girl? Sorry Sir, just chicken.

And I canít even count how many times iíve Sent burgers back that I ordered ďplainĒ that end up with mayo on them. Wtf does plain mean? Means PLAIN nothing on it, no mayo, no lettuce, no tomato. Freaking plain. Why is this so damned difficult?

Iím not normally one to send food back either as I always worry what they are going to do to it on a remake but Jesus, why is it so hard to follow simple directions for people.

Choobi choobiís website has all over it, garlic crab legs, go in there last night. We donít have that anymore. Just black pepper or Asian which the dude said was even spicier. Asked if they could just not put nothing at all. Nope, one or the other. Smfh.... take the crap off your web site then.

Seems like a bunch of freaking morons here sometimes....

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2018, 04:36:24 PM »
Go to Zack's.  They don't smother it with mayo.  I don't like it either on my burger so I add ketchup after I get it.  Zack's gives it to you how you want plain.  I don't have any problem with Burger King though.  If you order the 3 cheese, or maybe it is 4 cheese.  You get bun, burger and cheese.  That is all.  You have to peel it apart to put ketchup on it.

I don't know about Army & Navy.  The one by me has started stinking up the place with their quality and lazy butt service so I don't patronize them anymore.
Whatever floats your boat.

Offline Steve & Myrlita

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • Myrlita & I and all of our grandchildren.
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2018, 04:48:01 PM »
I have also learned the "Plain" lesson the hard way. I found a work around. Instead of saying plain, say no lettuce, no mayo. (Chicken / Burger) and bun lang (Only). Yeah, head scratcher but remember, their English and education isn't the same as ours. Sometimes you have to break it down to 1st or 2nd grade level. It's not their fault, it's the inferior education system.
Thank you...God Bless...
Bro Steve & Sis Myrlita
Bacolod City, PH
*** RIP MY FRIEND LEE ***
***       RIP DON H        ***

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2018, 05:56:46 PM »
Go to Zack's.  They don't smother it with mayo.  I don't like it either on my burger so I add ketchup after I get it.  Zack's gives it to you how you want plain.  I don't have any problem with Burger King though.  If you order the 3 cheese, or maybe it is 4 cheese.  You get bun, burger and cheese.  That is all.  You have to peel it apart to put ketchup on it.

I don't know about Army & Navy.  The one by me has started stinking up the place with their quality and lazy butt service so I don't patronize them anymore.

Zack's or Zark's?  Have ordered Zark's and they are fine.  Army/Navy now that is a different opinion.  Went to the one in Tagaytay New Years Ee afternoon a few years ago, no burgers available.  Have not been back to any Army/Navy since.

Chuck
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2018, 10:09:42 PM »
Zack's or Zark's?  Have ordered Zark's and they are fine.  Army/Navy now that is a different opinion.  Went to the one in Tagaytay New Years Ee afternoon a few years ago, no burgers available.  Have not been back to any Army/Navy since.

Chuck

Yeah, you are right.  It is Zark's.  I did not even have to look it up just now and know I messed up.  I don't pay attention to the name of the place much but there are plenty of them around for me to see the sign and go to.

I think they got new management at Army/Navy that I used to go to.  It is really sucking.

You know, S&R food counters are going downhill in quality now, although I never liked their burgers anyway but, they seem to be puttering out, in general, at a rapid pace.  And I think one of the main contributing factors was all these stand-alones they have been opening up at the malls.  Diluting their personal with the hurry up or little training and the lack of any experience, with a lot of them, to get enough employees.  Even in the stores.  I got crap for fries at the new S&R in P'que the other day.  Tasted like a mixture of three or four batches thrown around behind the counter and recooked.  I got my S&R card a couple of years before I even moved here even and never have I ever had crap for french fries from them.  And I have gotten a couple of lousy slices of pizza lately too.  Plus, they did away with Calzone and trying to do a couple specialty things.  I don't know who told them they need to get away from what works but they sure screwed up.  I am ready to quit getting anything from their snack bars. 

That is ok.  A place goes to crap after time and there is always someplace decent around the corner.  I have the time but I don't have the time to sit around and moan and groan about some place being lousy.

Offline jjcabgou

• Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2018, 10:18:50 AM »
I have also learned the "Plain" lesson the hard way. I found a work around. Instead of saying plain, say no lettuce, no mayo. (Chicken / Burger) and bun lang (Only). Yeah, head scratcher but remember, their English and education isn't the same as ours. Sometimes you have to break it down to 1st or 2nd grade level. It's not their fault, it's the inferior education system.
Funny, I mentioned their inferior education system and I was subsequently BLASTED.   But you are right, even the private schools cant really compare.  There are a few good schools but they are so expensive, only the rich and famous can afford them.     yes I got off track somewhat, but Steve's point is valid, there is a reason we scratch our heads all the time.

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2018, 02:16:42 PM »
Funny, I mentioned their inferior education system and I was subsequently BLASTED.   But you are right, even the private schools cant really compare.  There are a few good schools but they are so expensive, only the rich and famous can afford them.     yes I got off track somewhat, but Steve's point is valid, there is a reason we scratch our heads all the time.

People were blasting you because you constantly harp on how much superior you think American or other schools are to ones in the Philippines.  I am sending my boy through the Philippine school system because I think the exact opposite. No, not because I think they are superior to US schools, but because I think he will have a lot better chance to learn to love and respect for his country and not be some nasty and disrespectful to adults and other people's property and act like common criminals without me having to bust his butt so much to stay in line.  I will tell you right now, before not just you or anyone insinuates that my son will wind up being some uneducated properly dumb kid, look at the recent year's flock of American kids and tell me just how damn smart they are.

People anyone else gets on this, as the saying goes, you send your kid or kids where you want and I will send mine where I want but don't try this superiority crap with the schools.

You mention this again, after a long time JJ  and I was just beginning to think that I might want to find my way down to your golf course and try and do nine with you.

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2018, 02:19:55 PM »

Ditto to what I just said to JJ.  Inferior, huh?  Yeah, like I said, ditto to you.

I don't know how this thread turned in to let's bash the Philippine education system versus you guys crying about your crapping service from a bunch of kids.  And I we know, the crap that goes on in the US eventually gets to the Philippines so guess what?  The crappy service you get is what you get in the US too.

Offline Peter

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2018, 04:03:05 PM »
Ditto to what I just said to JJ.  Inferior, huh?  Yeah, like I said, ditto to you.

I don't know how this thread turned in to let's bash the Philippine education system versus you guys crying about your crapping service from a bunch of kids.  And I we know, the crap that goes on in the US eventually gets to the Philippines so guess what?  The crappy service you get is what you get in the US too.

Bud.

Just to clarify, when I started this thread, the "service" wasn't the point. The service was excellent and the food, when it arrivered, was delicious.

The point was the owner/s' micro-managing attitude which compelled the local manager to check in and ask permission (from 25 miles or so away) before being allowed to "leave out" an ingredient, which should not have been in the dish in the first place, IMHO. Just as well there is not, or if there is it's not enforced, a "Trades Descriptions Act". (UK terminology, other countries probably have something similar. Or if they don't they should have!) A plain omelette made with cheese, is a cheese omelette - as far as I have known in my 72 plus years on this planet.

My wife did suggest to the manager, that next time we are in and her asawa wants a plain omelette, put the cheese in a separate dish, make the omelette without it and serve the meal with cheese on the side.

Then her Asawa is happy  :), she  is happy  :) as she will eat the raw cheese, the manager is happy  :) as he can honestly account for the foodstuff, the owner/s is/are happy  :) :) as they have a sale and presumably a profit, and the chef should be happy  :), as he is cooking something out of the ordinary. I think!!!!

Peter
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 04:15:36 PM by Peter »
Noli nothis permittere te terere.
Virtus autem corruptibilis est,
summa virtute prorsus corrumpitur,

Offline Lee2

• Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2018, 08:09:53 PM »
I am going to address the school issue from my POV. First of all no one of us has gone to or had children go to every school in the US or the Philippines, so saying they all are bad or great is a terrible idea and looking at the children we see on TV or youtube is only a sampling of one particular area, again it does not reflect on every school or every child, even in that area, so IMO lets drop the subject unless we want to describe schools we personally have seen and what areas those schools are in and leave out the generalizations.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.