Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Another new member saying "HI"...  (Read 2034 times)

Offline DanW1953

Another new member saying "HI"...
« on: April 03, 2019, 03:48:07 AM »
Greetings to the forum and guests,

After a few days of lurking and reading posts here, it looks like it's time for me to at least say hello.  I'm Dan, I live in Lincoln, Nebraska, for the time being and am just about ready to take my full retirement when I turn 66 in December of this year.  I'm semi-retired now and working part-time to keep active and have a little extra money.  With full retirement ahead, I've been thinking about finding somewhere other than Nebraska.  It's nice enough for a few weeks out of the year, but as the new motto goes "Nebraska...it's not for everybody."  Sixty-five winters of snow up to my hip pockets, two weeks to a month each year with temperatures below 0 Fahrenheit, and freak snowstorms in the middle of May suggests to me that there has to be someplace better for aging gracefully or at least without frostbite.

I have researched a reasonable amount for suitable places both here in the States and abroad.  The Philippines is pretty well at the top of the list at the moment for a number of reasons, so I am planning a boots-on-the-ground reconnaissance later this year.  I am thinking about early or mid September, possibly a little later.  I've skimmed this forum fairly thoroughly reading comments and reports on various locations in the Philippines and would appreciate any current views on good places for expats to consider retiring to.  It seems like most of the comments/views I could find were two or more years old, so I expect some things have changed.  All things considered, I would probably prefer Luzon or the central islands.  Mindanao might not be a good long-term choice, or perhaps I misread the news articles and briefs.

My needs and requirements are fairly simple as I perceive them.  I am reasonably fit and active, require no medical attention or special needs, and am certainly capable of maintaining a small household on my own.  I would not mind spending time in more than one area until I decide if setting down roots is the right move.  I expect some culture shock, but with a background in Anthropology I think I can deal with it.  (I survived a Ukrainian wife, after all..)  If I make it a permanent move, I would probably go the Special Retirement Visa route.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.  I appreciate the effort made in replying.

With regards,
Dan W.

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
Re: Another new member saying "HI"...
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2019, 09:41:02 PM »
Welcome Dan.  This forum is full of information and if you can't find something you're looking for, just ask.
I moved here for a lot of the same reason you did.  While I came at a younger age, I was sick of Michigan winters.  Loved them as a youth.  Loved experiencing the year when we broke the winter snowfall record in a single year for Michigan at over 28 feet of snow.  That was a crazy winter, but I was young and it was fun.  But, it got old fast as soon as the college days were over.  On top of that my job took me to countries where snow wasn't as bad on a yearly basis or in some cases, little to no snow at all.  Then returning to Michigan got hard. 
I moved to a Visayas(the middle islands) and have been here 6 years now.  I think your ideas are good as far as a place to start.  Move here.  Bounce around.  Check out the city life.  The rural life.  Meet the people.  Find a place that is good for you and then settle down.  If your finances allow for such, that is the best way really to go through it.
So enjoy the forum.  Read what you can and ask questions when you want.  Look forward to reading your posts.
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline Frosty

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 05:16:01 AM »
welcome Dan
if your not a big fan of large cities and you have the time
check out Tagbilaran, or Dumaguete
they have white sand beaches on Bohol.
not that frozen white stuff you like so much.

Offline Travelling Bob

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2019, 07:30:13 AM »
welcome and enjoy

Offline FastWalk

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2019, 10:55:25 AM »
Hi Dan,

Nice intro writing. 

Philippines can be very different in different locations.   Similar to how Nebraska is different than California,  and in so.... many ways.  Manila and to a lesser extent Cebu are different than other places.  There are ppl that just love one or the other type of location,  not many that like both.  There are many locals that want to stay in the upper class city,  and just as many that only go to work and can't wait to get back home to the province.

In some places can find local ppl so very poor,  and in other places the money is just running like water and the foreigner on pension will be the poor one.

Lots of all types(good/bad/honest/not honest/etc...) of ladies if the guy is single and if married many many social events to keep everyone happy.

I am also in the middle islands and avoid the large city if possible.

When you visit,  try to stay for some time to see if you really like the climate,  if you ever moved here it is possible to modify many things around you, except for the climate.

Remember, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

Offline codefreeze

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2019, 12:49:41 AM »
Hi Dan,

Welcome!

You will be arriving in the Philippines in the typhoon season - I guess it pays to see it "warts and all".  :'(

On places - everyone is different and has different needs. Once you've visited you will start to get a better idea - prepare to expect the unexpected. I felt sure I would love the idyllic island life, but after spending time on the ground I found I really preferred the cities. I absolutely hated Manila on my first trip, but have grown to love the place subsequently.

The other thing to think about is whether you are going to split time between USA and Phils (and if so what percentage of time in each place), or are you envisaging a complete move. Quite a few here are full-time in Philippines, but others (like myself) only spend part of the year there.

One last comment - you might not need to go the route of SRRV, especially initially. 

Offline DanW1953

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2019, 09:56:54 AM »
Many thanks to all who replied so far; I appreciate the welcome and the sensible advice.

Frosty, I do appreciate the heads-up on places like Tagbilaran or Dumaguete, and will certainly make an effort to learn a bit more about them.  I will probably opt for the smaller cities at least to start with, but will certainly visit and explore Manila and Cebu City as a matter of course.  A good friend of mine who had been stationed in the Phils  (USAF) back about 1970 or '71 recommended Baguio as well, and my limited research had already put it on the list of potential places to live before he mentioned it.  Does anybody have any experience in Baguio or elsewhere in the Cordillera Central?

I was aware (sort of...) that September would be the storm season...yup, the plan was to see the place 'warts and all' as Codefreeze so aptly put it.  Even the sorriest of places look nice at least once a year, maybe for quite a bit of the year even.  Best to see the less appealing part right off rather than have an unpleasant surprise when the seasons change.  Luckily there are enough annual weather records available to make at least some generalizations about the yearly cycle.  But, the freakish extreme is what makes for good conversations years later after all.

The plan, at least for now, is to do a ten-day or two week recon in the fall of this year, checking out some potential places, making some local contacts and taking lots of notes.  I hope to be able to at least get a few days in the highlands, a few days in one or two coastal locations, maybe a day or two on a smaller island, and whatever else can be fit into my two weeks or so.

After passing 'Go' at age 66 in December, it will be time to wrap up a few loose ends here, lease the house and shop to my sons, pack a couple of suitcases and start as a tourist in the Philippines.  I understand the basic concept if not the finer points of extending the on-arrival tourist visa to its limit, dashing off to somewhere for a few days and then returning to the Phils for another tourist visa cycle.  That would also give me a good break to consider how well the last place of residence or two fit my perceived needs.  After a few months or a year, it would be time to make the decision whether to do the SRRV or not.  Well...that's the plan.  We all know what happens to plans when they meet reality.

My sincere thanks again to all for the welcome and the advice to date.  I do appreciate your input very much, and hope to benefit from it all in one way or another. 

With regards,

Dan

Offline codefreeze

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2019, 03:33:07 PM »
<snip>
The plan, at least for now, is to do a ten-day or two week recon in the fall of this year, checking out some potential places, making some local contacts and taking lots of notes.  I hope to be able to at least get a few days in the highlands, a few days in one or two coastal locations, maybe a day or two on a smaller island, and whatever else can be fit into my two weeks or so.

After passing 'Go' at age 66 in December, it will be time to wrap up a few loose ends here, lease the house and shop to my sons, pack a couple of suitcases and start as a tourist in the Philippines.  I understand the basic concept if not the finer points of extending the on-arrival tourist visa to its limit, dashing off to somewhere for a few days and then returning to the Phils for another tourist visa cycle.  That would also give me a good break to consider how well the last place of residence or two fit my perceived needs.  After a few months or a year, it would be time to make the decision whether to do the SRRV or not.  Well...that's the plan.  We all know what happens to plans when they meet reality.
</snip>

Sounds like a great plan.

Good luck!