Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Basic info  (Read 125724 times)

Offline ermita_virus

Re: Basic info
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2019, 11:03:56 AM »
As Chuck pointed out, there are some (many?) who are resident here with their Filipino/a spouses.

Just a little clarification. Only Filipinos and Former Filipinos are (legally) entitled to use the BB Scheme to send cargo from overseas. Any family member is entitled to receive the cargo

As designated family members (granted by the Philippines' Family Code, as amended by RA 8533) we quaiified, foreigner spouses can avail of various legal entitlements, which includes the receipt of cargo shipped under the Customs, tariff/tax free, Balikbayan scheme.

After saying that, we used the BB scheme (about 70 large boxes plus 20 specially made boxes/crates for household white goods and furniture etc.) over a 3 year period. We used my wife's name as the shipper and her sister's as recipient, on the shipping documentation when we were both resident overseas.

I have received tax-free BB boxes here in my name, from her sisters in Macau and London - as surprise birthday presents for the wife.

Peter
Having a mentally ill relative does not make a foreigner a citizen though.

Offline suzukig1

• Sr Member
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2019, 11:06:17 AM »
Nope. You can't get a declaration proving you are a Philippine citizen, if you are not. Well, you can. But that would be illegal.

For Balikbayan Boxes the sender has to be a qualified Filipino but the receiver can be family members or relatives (includes aunts and uncles and 1st cousins).  A foreign spouse can receive a Balikbayan Box from a qualified Filipino sender.

Offline ermita_virus

« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2019, 11:18:45 AM »
You are confusing part of the privileges allowed for returning Balikbayans (Chapter 2 #3) and Balikbayan Boxes.  Chapter 7 explains Balikbayan boxes.  Also, there are bulletins issued by Customs explaining Balikbayan Boxes.  Balikbayan boxes tax free up to P150,000 per year.
No I am not. And it is 10,000 pesos a year. Wait, this one says 10,000 twice a year. But this law is also outdated as it says

"Non-commercial goods or goods not in commercial quantity strictly for personal use only, such as: wearing apparel, clothing, foodstuffs/grocery items/canned goods; the value of which must not exceed USD 500.00."

And I know for a fact that clothing is strictly forbidden in BB boxes. So is food. And toys.

Offline suzukig1

• Sr Member
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2019, 11:31:52 AM »
No I am not. And it is 10,000 pesos a year. Wait, this one says 10,000 twice a year. But this law is also outdated as it says

"Non-commercial goods or goods not in commercial quantity strictly for personal use only, such as: wearing apparel, clothing, foodstuffs/grocery items/canned goods; the value of which must not exceed USD 500.00."

And I know for a fact that clothing is strictly forbidden in BB boxes. So is food. And toys.

In one line you post what is allowed "wearing apparel, clothing" and then you state "I know for a fact that clothing is strictly forbidden in BB boxes".

http://customs.gov.ph/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/cao-01-2018_Amended_Rules_on_Consolidated_Shipment_of_Balikbayan_Boxes.pdf

See section 4.2 P150,000 tax free.

Offline ermita_virus

« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2019, 11:55:26 AM »
In one line you post what is allowed "wearing apparel, clothing" and then you state "I know for a fact that clothing is strictly forbidden in BB boxes".

http://customs.gov.ph/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/cao-01-2018_Amended_Rules_on_Consolidated_Shipment_of_Balikbayan_Boxes.pdf

See section 4.2 P150,000 tax free.

Bureau of Customs told me that clothes are forbidden. Along with just about anything else one would want to import. Unless of course you want to pay taxes on them, of course. Clothes in the Philippines are among the most expensive in the world. But cheaper than paying customs tax on them.

Can I upload documents here? I think they e-mailed me a PDF.

Offline suzukig1

• Sr Member
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2019, 12:08:09 PM »
Bureau of Customs told me that clothes are forbidden. Along with just about anything else one would want to import. Unless of course you want to pay taxes on them, of course. Clothes in the Philippines are among the most expensive in the world. But cheaper than paying customs tax on them.

Clothes for personal use are ok in Balikbayan Boxes.  Clothes or anything else to resell are technically not ok in Balikbayan Boxes.

Offline ermita_virus

« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2019, 12:26:51 PM »
Clothes for personal use are ok in Balikbayan Boxes.  Clothes or anything else to resell are technically not ok in Balikbayan Boxes.

Nope. Not even used old clothes you are keeping for sentimental value. A baby shirt from 2005. You need a receipt for it. Or the value will be determined by the DOC and you will be taxed for it. And they could just say that baby shirt, old and tattered, is worth 80,000 pesos, and you pay the tax, or forfeit the item to customs.

You guys need to learn this stuff if you are going to live here. The Philippines is not like where you are from. The BI just released a statement reminding foreigners that getting involved in politics will get you arrested, blacklisted, and deported. Where many of us are from, it is totally legal to do. In fact, getting involved in the community is encouraged. Not here. You have no rights here. Don't like it? Too bad!

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2019, 12:31:02 PM »

Many of your statements seem to be incorrect.  Such as who can send, clothes being sent, food, peso amount. Some senders can be taxed others are not, but as stated in the PDF anyone can send. 

http://customs.gov.ph/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/BOC-Form-No.-BB-IS-001-Balikbayan-Information-Sheet-for-Consilidated-Balikbayan-Boxes.pdf

Chuck
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

Offline bigrod

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2019, 12:33:40 PM »
Nope. Not even used old clothes you are keeping for sentimental value. A baby shirt from 2005. You need a receipt for it. Or the value will be determined by the DOC and you will be taxed for it. And they could just say that baby shirt, old and tattered, is worth 80,000 pesos, and you pay the tax, or forfeit the item to customs.

You guys need to learn this stuff if you are going to live here. The Philippines is not like where you are from. The BI just released a statement reminding foreigners that getting involved in politics will get you arrested, blacklisted, and deported. Where many of us are from, it is totally legal to do. In fact, getting involved in the community is encouraged. Not here. You have no rights here. Don't like it? Too bad!

Most of us are well aware of the info you are posting and actually know what the real rules are versus the dribble you are spewing.

Chuck

Offline ermita_virus

« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2019, 12:42:37 PM »
Most of us are well aware of the info you are posting and actually know what the real rules are versus the dribble you are spewing.

Chuck
lol Listen. You are a worthless troll, who clearly has never been to the Philippines. So kindly f*** off, before I slit your throat. Bastos ka manyak na lolo!

Offline bigrod

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2019, 12:57:29 PM »
Duh! For your information I have lived here continuously for ten years.  If you will look at my ID data I am an Admin on this forum ot a troll! We do not allow bash of people or the Philippines on the forum.  As to slitting my throat some have tried before and as you see non have succeeded and I doubt you would either.  Hope you enjoyed your time on the forum because it has come to an end!

Chuck
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 02:48:15 PM by bigrod »

Offline ermita_virus

« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2019, 01:37:47 PM »
Duh! For your information I have lived here continuously for ten years.  If you will look at my ID data I am an Admin on this forum ot a troll! We do not allow bash of people or the Philippines on the forum.  As to slitting my thought some have tried before and as you see non have succeeded and I doubt you would either.  Hope you enjoyed your time on the forum because it has come to an end!

Chuck
You don't allow people to bash others on here? But that is what YOU are doing. lol Only 10 years? That's not very long. How have you not learned basic stuff your first year here, like jejemon? lol san k tira d2?

Offline suzukig1

• Sr Member
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2019, 05:12:41 PM »
This was implemented in October 2018

REPUBLIC OF THE PHILIPPINES 
DEPARTMENT OF FINANCE
BUREAU OF CUSTOMS
MANILA 1099
CUSTOMS ADMINISTRATIVE ORDER (CAO)
NO. 01 - 2018

SUBJECT: AMENDED RULES ON CONSOLIDATED SHIPMENT OF "BALIKBAYAN BOXES"

3.15. Household Effects shall refer to furniture, dishes, linens, libraries, and similar household furnishings for personal use or family use.

3.21. Personal Effects shall refer to commodities whether new or used, for personal use or consumption and not for commercial purposes, such as wearing apparel, personal adornments, electronic gadgets, toiletries, or similar items.

4.1. Qualified Filipinos While Abroad are allowed to send to their Families or Relatives in the Philippines Balikbayan Boxes which shall be exempt from the payment of duties and taxes, up to three (3) times in a calendar year.

4.2. Balikbayan boxes shall contain personal and household effects only and shall neither be in commercial quantities nor intended for barter, sale or for hire, and that the total FCA value for all Balikbayan Boxes per sender in any calendar year shall not exceed One Hundred Fifty Thousand Pesos (Php150,000.00).

Offline Bob Johnson

« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2019, 11:27:58 PM »
Just shipped out ten boxes, four were mine. Many more to pack. Can't believe we had a troll, thank God he/she/it is gone.

Offline Steve & Myrlita

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • Myrlita & I and all of our grandchildren.
« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2019, 12:14:41 AM »
Just shipped out ten boxes, four were mine. Many more to pack. Can't believe we had a troll, thank God he/she/it is gone.
Yes thanks to God and Chuck. I'm the admin who approved him. I will own it. So sorry folks.
Thank you...God Bless...
Bro Steve & Sis Myrlita
Bacolod City, PH
*** RIP MY FRIEND LEE ***
***       RIP DON H        ***