Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Day Labour in Manila?  (Read 2326 times)

Offline ermita_virus

Day Labour in Manila?
« on: August 13, 2019, 08:15:08 PM »
Hi guys. How does one get day labour in Manila? You know, like something you can do anywhere from a few months, to just 1 day. Temp work. Are there places to sign up in an office? Or street corners to stand on? Anything like construction, factory, cleaning, that sort of thing. Also, how bad is the racism in this line of work? Thanks guys! Hope all are well during the crisis.

Offline ermita_virus

Re: Day Labour in Manila?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2019, 11:23:30 AM »
There is no way, in such a crappy country, that I am the only one that does not have a career? Most people can't even read or write. The standard here is almost non-existent. Surely someone knows? Or knows someone that does?

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2019, 11:59:03 AM »
First off you need to be on a visa that allows you to work here!  So a tourist visa is a no go.  Second are you willing to work for maybe php 500 a day or less?  I for sure am not! 

Chuck
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

Offline ermita_virus

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2019, 12:35:04 PM »
First off you need to be on a visa that allows you to work here!  So a tourist visa is a no go.  Second are you willing to work for maybe php 500 a day or less?  I for sure am not! 

Chuck
Since when do you need a visa to work? And when did I say anything about working on a tourist visa? Besides, you have always been able to work on a tourist visa. They may have recently changed that. But not sure. Who wouldn't be willing to work for 500 pesos a day? Why wouldn't you? That's a lot of money.

Offline Peter

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2019, 12:38:58 PM »
There is no way, in such a crappy country, that I am the only one that does not have a career? Most people can't even read or write. The standard here is almost non-existent. Surely someone knows? Or knows someone that does?

It's quite a stretch to state, or even believe, that most people can't even read or write and the standard here is almost non-existent. A remark which is really insulting to the Filipino people.
(Being Scottish, I could very well say that about any country whose citizens don't speak the Queen's English. I don't, as I realise that the English Language is a centuries old continuing "work in progress".

"Most people" in a population of 100 Million plus, is an awful lot of folks that you must have met, or known, and have tested their reading and writing skills in their native languages, to stand by such a statement.

Crappy country? Execute plan B if it isn't to your liking.

:( :( :( :(

My thoughts only.

Peter
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 12:54:30 PM by Peter »
Noli nothis permittere te terere.
Virtus autem corruptibilis est,
summa virtute prorsus corrumpitur,

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2019, 12:48:01 PM »
Since when do you need a visa to work? And when did I say anything about working on a tourist visa? Besides, you have always been able to work on a tourist visa. They may have recently changed that. But not sure. Who wouldn't be willing to work for 500 pesos a day? Why wouldn't you? That's a lot of money.

Tourist visa is what it says being a tourist, why would they have a work visa if you could work on a tourist visa!  Just use a little common sense. You maybe willing to work for php 500, I would mot even get out of bed for that!  I am retired with a decent income so there is a big difference in what I do than probably what you need to do to survive.

Chuck
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

Offline ermita_virus

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2019, 12:54:32 PM »
It's quite a stretch to state, or even believe, that most people can't even read or write and the standard here is almost non-existent. A remark which is really insulting to the Filipino people.
(Being Scottish, I could very well say that about any country whose citizens don't speak the Queen's English. I don't, as I realise that the English Language is a centuries old continuing "work in progress".

"Most people" in a population of 100 Million plus, is an awful lot of folks that you must have met, or known, and have tested their reading and writing skills in their native languages, to standby such a statement.

Crappy country? Execute plan B if it isn't to your liking.

:( :( :( :(

My thoughts only.

Peter
Not sure what English has to do with anything, but... Have you been to the Philippines? Come here sometime. Or just look it up online. Jejemon is not a native language. Yes. Worst country I have ever been to. Would love to execute a plan B, but plane tickets and visas and residencies are not free. Hard to fund a trip out of the country on 100 pesos a day, when I have rice and fishheads to buy in one of the most expensive nation in the world. I am open to suggestions though? It sucks that we are on ISLANDS!

Offline Peter

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2019, 01:00:46 PM »
Not sure what English has to do with anything, but... Have you been to the Philippines? Come here sometime. Or just look it up online. Jejemon is not a native language. Yes. Worst country I have ever been to. Would love to execute a plan B, but plane tickets and visas and residencies are not free. Hard to fund a trip out of the country on 100 pesos a day, when I have rice and fishheads to buy in one of the most expensive nation in the world. I am open to suggestions though? It sucks that we are on ISLANDS!

Jejemon? Is this some kind of Jello?
Suggestions? If you can't afford a ticket out, but you can afford the internet, cut the internet and save the money for leaving. Another is just take a long walk off a short pier to feed the fishes.  ;D ;D ;D

Peter ( a legal permanent resident in the Philippines for the last 10 years.)

Offline ermita_virus

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2019, 01:04:49 PM »
Tourist visa is what it says being a tourist, why would they have a work visa if you could work on a tourist visa!  Just use a little common sense. You maybe willing to work for php 500, I would mot even get out of bed for that!  I am retired with a decent income so there is a big difference in what I do than probably what you need to do to survive.

Chuck
Because the work visa is harder to get? lol Sounds like you don't have any common sense. I'm willing to work for 100 pesos a day. Have to take care of yourself and your family. Ilan taon ka d2? 15 taon lang ako. Pero konti lang ang pension d2.

Offline ermita_virus

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2019, 01:19:51 PM »
Jejemon? Is this some kind of Jello?
Suggestions? If you can't afford a ticket out, but you can afford the internet, cut the internet and save the money for leaving. Another is just take a long walk off a short pier to feed the fishes.  ;D ;D ;D

Peter ( a legal permanent resident in the Philippines for the last 10 years.)
No way you have been here 10 years and don't know jejemon. Are there plane tickets for p50 now? Somehow your other advice does not sound very helpful.

Offline Peter

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2019, 01:47:40 PM »
No way you have been here 10 years and don't know jejemon. Are there plane tickets for p50 now? Somehow your other advice does not sound very helpful.

Your continuing reference to "jejmon" had me curious, so I looked it up on line. This iseems to be the common definition. < Usually seen around social networking sites such as Friendster and Multiply, jejemons are individuals with low IQs who spread around their idiocy on the web   >

I do find it strange as to why you think I should be aware of this form of childish behaviour that you seem to be advocating. Most children go through a "secret language" with their little gang-mates, but grow out of it by the time they are 10 or 11 years old.

When you ask for suggestions, expect some. Save your daily PhP 50 (about US$1) for enough days and someday you'll be able to buy a ticket out. Only costs US$50 or so for a ticket to a neighbouring country.

Peter
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 01:54:49 PM by Peter »

Offline M.C.A.

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2019, 05:26:45 PM »
Emerita... You sound familiar are you living in the Manila area and have 6 kids and live off 10,000 pesos a month?  Just curious.
My views would be from someone who lives out in the province close to in-laws on a pension.  Norwegian and French heritage.

Offline Steve & Myrlita

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • Myrlita & I and all of our grandchildren.
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2019, 05:28:17 PM »
Emerita... You sound familiar are you living in the Manila area and have 6 kids and live off 10,000 pesos a month?  Just curious.
He is now banned. No one threatens a mod or admin and gets away with it.
Thank you...God Bless...
Bro Steve & Sis Myrlita
Bacolod City, PH
*** RIP MY FRIEND LEE ***
***       RIP DON H        ***

Offline jjcabgou

• Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2019, 09:13:30 PM »
HAHAHAAH that dude was unhinged

Offline clarkee

• Sr Member
  • Retired Air Reserve Technician
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2019, 12:38:16 AM »
I was thinking more on the lines of a troll!