Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Cost of phone line  (Read 3175 times)

Offline mikek1

Cost of phone line
« on: February 17, 2008, 07:27:29 PM »
 Can anyone help me? I am not very familiar with all the PC gissmos etc so I need some advice. I have just had a new house built in the PI which has all the phone lines ready for use. I do not need the phone lines at the moment because we only use the house while on vacation (3-7weeks/year) however when we retire we may possibly want their use.

My problem is that I am about to buy a laptop and are considering using the Vodaphone† 3g system which apparently will give mobile broadband usage anywhere (most countries) .The drawback with this system is that it is expensive especially when I will use it limited.It cost £25.00 monthly rental and £8.50 (US$17.00) for† every 24hours.

What I need to know ,would I not be advantageous to apply for the Philippine phone line then get a provider in the Phills for my laptop broadband?† Could someone please advise me on my best options.

Mike K

Offline blacklukan

Re: Cost of phone line
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 08:32:41 PM »
You should be able to get a SmartBro wireless broadband connection for your home for 999 peso/mth.† Easy to set up and dont need phone line.† Then you can use for VOIP when you are there too

Offline coutts00

• Sr Member
Re: Cost of phone line
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 08:56:34 PM »
Mike,

A couple of options:

If your are laptop based and want to be able to move around with it, Smartbro has an option for a USB connected device, its 799php a month and a one time setup fee of 1999php, it gives you 40 hrs a month, works like a cell phone and probably as fast as the rest of their connections, 384 down and 128 up. Check it out here:

http://www.smart.com.ph/SmartBro/

The other option from Smartbro is their Residential connection option, basically an antenna they put up on your roof, same speed as mentioned before, but its on 24 x 7, we most of the time anyway, and there is no limit to how much time you can spend online. And it has a similar setup fee.

The other option which I am exploring myself is from globe, it is a faster connection and is available Luzon and Visayas / Mindoro. There is no activation fee, but a prepayment of 995 is required, they are using a faster connection than Smartbro, but it has only just been rolled out, so expect so hiccups.

Find it here:
http://www.globelines.com.ph/

Wayne

Wayne† ;D ;D