Author Topic: Interesting YouTube channel on Philippines retirement  (Read 48 times)

Offline codefreeze

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Interesting YouTube channel on Philippines retirement
« on: January 13, 2020, 05:27:24 PM »
Looks like they spent time in USA before heading to Philippines for good.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnlUvAmOZw8NVzccaROkUgw/videos

I am finding the channel very interesting so far. Sadly they don't have a website though - just the YouTube channel as far as I can see.

I thought it would be worth a mention.

By the way, they look familiar!!

Offline Hestecrefter

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: Interesting YouTube channel on Philippines retirement
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 02:25:31 AM »
There are getting to be more and more expats in the Phils posting YouTube videos.  Some are indeed quite interesting.

The ones that put me off a bit are the self-styled "experts", who, after a few years of living there, purport to have some kind of divine insight into how things work in the Phils and they serve up endless videos on topics such as how to find a good woman in the Phils, what one must know about dating in the Phils, owning/renting property, etc., etc.  There are a few who offer "one-on-one coaching" or some such via Skype or other means for 35 bucks an hour or so, or on a daily, weekly or monthly plan (the latter for the thick end of a thousand bucks!).  Who in their right mind would pay that, or any amount?

Before the advent of the internet, expats were finding their way to the Philippines and managing there quite nicely.  They corresponded with women there by snail mail.  They traveled there and did okay without any "coaching".  Now, there's a surfeit of free information on the web on just about any topic related to the Philippines you can imagine. There are countless videos made by folks living there, sharing their actual experiences.  There are a number of forums such as this one where one may ask specific questions on just about any topic and get information and advice from those who have personal knowledge and experience.  The soi-disant gurus who are charging for their time can, like the rest of us, have only limited experience and cannot make a legitimate claim any expertise beyond that experience.  Yet they do.  Even their online material offered at no charge usually has a preachy or "I am so smart" tone to it that I find distinctly off-putting. 

I have been going to the Phils since 1994 and I have long lost track of how many visits and total time spent there.  I lived there for 3 years and might move back.  But I realize that even someone like me hardly knows all there is to know about every part of the country and the people and life there.  And suggesting that anyone knows all there is to know about meeting and dating Filipinos is just plan silly. 

There are some who write and sell "how to" books, videos, etc.  One guy sells a book suggesting he can share with readers dozens of ways to make money in the Phils.  He claims to have made a lot of money there.  Yet, a few years ago, when facing some medical bills, he was online begging readers for donations.  And the amount being sought was, by U.S. standards, rather small.  Yet he needed help.  Puts the lie to his so-called money-making ideas.  And, seriously, how could one possibly know much about literally dozens of business ideas?  The only person to whom I would pay any attention would be someone who had successfully started and operated a particular business over an extended period.  And even a lot of the savvy that person could impart would be unique to their particular location and situation. 

Awhile back that same expat posted online about how things in the U.S. were going downhill and he was urging readers to get out now and move to the Phils.  But, at the same time, he was planning his move back to the U.S. and lives there now. 

I wonder, are there any Filipinos who have moved to the U.S. or other countries who are making countless videos and perhaps offering pay-as-you-go "coaching" to others seeking to relocate to the U.S.?