Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Solar and Wind power  (Read 8021 times)

Offline Peter

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: Solar and Wind power
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2019, 01:02:23 PM »
Has any one tried, or tested, the "Power Factor Optimisers" (my words)? They are being touted as the bees' knees in our area at the moment.

AFAI understand, they are sealed boxes containing high value capacitors. They are to be plugged into the ac socket nearest the incoming fuse panel and can reduce the "bills" by up to 30%.

I know the principle behind PF correction as in workshop or factory machinery: but do they work in a domestic setting?

Peter
Noli nothis permittere te terere.
Virtus autem corruptibilis est,
summa virtute prorsus corrumpitur,

Offline lost_in_samoa

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2019, 08:06:28 AM »
It also would appear that you have some tech savvy and enjoy working with these things.

Yeah I like tinkering.  My dad always said that "I could make nuthin out of sumpthin faster than anyone he knew".

I am happy to let them think for me wrt the tech stuff.

Being a lawyer, I bet that the small print in the "user agreements" gives you pause sometimes.  Faust had it right.

You mention the old 386 running your solar system.  Our wind and solar system is run by Outback equipment I paid someone to select and install.

My system is Outback gear also.  Here is an anecdotal heads up for you.   Outback was bought out by Alpha in 2011/2012.   Moved to India. 

The new owner pretty much shutdown the users forum.  Disabled search.  Booted most of the good posters.

In 2016, I purchased two Flexmax 80 charge controllers from Alpha as an upgrade.  When I got them I opened them, (that is my habit),  and was appalled by the quality of the build.

I pulled the original MX-60's, (in production without a burp for 6 or so years), and put those FMX80's online.  16 months after purchase, they both died within a day of each other.   Same fault area.  Small series of surface mounted caps/resistors burned up on the main logic board.

My system is really over designed for longevity.  I've got beer can sized arrestors/filters and overkill grounding all throughout my setup.   So I think it was substandard/faulty components in the charge controller build.

I called up Outback.  According to ip trace my voip was routed to a CSR in India.    Got halfway through the opening conversation when the rep shut me down with the "its your fault"  determination.  "No warranty repair for you!"

Short and skinny .... Outback gear prior to Alpha is the bees knees.  Post Alpha .....  well you get the picture.

The 386  is  hooked up through a multiplexer to a variety of sensors on the input and relays on the output.  A bit of field expedient old school Linux shell scripting  allows me to set, monitor, and act upon events in the system in close to real time.

You equalizing your Surrette's on a schedule correct?

I'd shy away from the Powerwall for a few more years.  Lot's of folks having problems with the BMS and longevity.

Offline Hestecrefter

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2019, 07:57:08 AM »
You equalizing your Surrette's on a schedule correct?
I'd shy away from the Powerwall for a few more years.  Lot's of folks having problems with the BMS and longevity.

Nope, I am not a schedule kind of guy.  Left that behind when I stopped working in a big-city office.  So, equalizing is more a matter of, when I think of it, checking voltage and specific gravity of each of our 24 2-volt cells and equalize if necessary and to the extent necessary.  Actually, if the system is scrupulously maintained, equalizing should never be required.  It can be a necessary evil, but any overcharge, deliberate or otherwise, is inimical to battery life.

Yes, I will avoid Powerwall for now.  Ditto for electric vehicles.  All of that stuff is still developing and changes might come quickly.  I don't want to rush to spend a lot of money for "new" technology only to see much cheaper and far superior technology all around me in just a few years.  Maybe, by the time our existing battery bank is ready to be put out to pasture, after another 5-10 years, there will be something better to look at.  Like my brother-in-law who, when he finished building his new house in 2004, bought a 52-inch tv.  Big screens were just becoming popular.  He paid about $5K.  It had a big screen and did not have the depth of the old-style CRT picture tube, but probably about 16 inches deep and very heavy.  Now you can buy a bigger screen, much flatter and lighter tv, with better picture and more features, for a fraction of $5K.  Of course, I recognize, that you can be paralyzed into inaction if you always put things off thinking that if you wait longer, something cheaper and better will come along.  I am guessing better electric cars and batteries will be around in another 100 years.  Not sure I have that long to wait. 

Offline lost_in_samoa

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2019, 09:07:45 AM »
equalizing is more a matter of, when I think of it

Good deal.  I've met folks who had systems for a long time and did not know what battery equalization was.

Actually, if the system is scrupulously maintained, equalizing should never be required.  It can be a necessary evil, but any overcharge, deliberate or otherwise, is inimical to battery life.

That is a contentions point.  I've talked with engineers on both sides of the debate.  I am of the thought that any state of charge less than 100% causes sulfation.  That makes sulfation unavoidable, and cumulative.  That mandates periodic equalization.

But there is the other side of that debate.  It appears to be working for you.

Yes, I will avoid Powerwall for now.  Ditto for electric vehicles.

Yeah the line between the cutting and bleeding edge of tech is pretty thin.

Personally myself I am waiting to see what happens in the graphene hybrid cap/battery research.

Offline medic3500

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2019, 05:24:04 PM »
I'm old school. If it's not broke don't fix it.  :D