Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats
Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: One Saturday in Baler, Aurora - Photo Albums  (Read 485 times)

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
One Saturday in Baler, Aurora - Photo Albums
« on: February 27, 2020, 01:41:31 AM »
We visited the Philippines from December 27 - January 27. These Google photo albums are of Saturday, Jan 18 during our adventure at Sabang Beach and surrounding sights. What a blast!

Baler Hanging Bridge

Just after breakfast at Jollibee we headed out for our day of adventure, first stopping at the Baler Hanging Bridge. The bridge spans roughly 420 feet across one tributary of the Dimatubo River delta. Suspended by heavy cables with a bamboo frame and wooden planks I imagined myself in an Indiana Jones movie  :D  There are a few video clips in the album

https://photos.app.goo.gl/nhhy2t5vF7ssRKia6

Ermita Hill - Penro Arboretum

Overlooking the bay below from the southern point is Ermita Hill, with it's gorgeous overlooks and a hilltop arboretum thick with ancient native hardwoods. The view of the bay below from the viewing deck was beautiful! There is an excellent paved trail of 275 uneven steps going to the top where there is a white cross memorial. Good luck if you try it, I didn't make it all the way. Too old, too hot.   :(

https://photos.app.goo.gl/kZC3LeCr7qmrWiCZ8

Diguisit Falls

Just around the point from Ermita Hill is Diguisit Falls. When we first pulled up I didn't see it as it is about 300 feet up the side of the mountain. But after exiting the vehicle I could see the top of the falls where they broke over the hill. There is no trail and no ropes/rails to assist you. Should you choose to climb, you are on your own and I must advise the rocks are wet and slippery. Gloria, being the little monkey that she is immediately took off her shoes and skipped up the rocks like she was born on that hillside. I followed, slowly, picking out the best course for me. The water is incredibly cold and clear and falls into a nice little pool. Perfect for cooling down after a tricky climb.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1ne2beEKbHJ8vZhC8

Sabang Beach

After our exciting day of bouncing, swaying bridges, climbing hills and waterfalls, it was great to get back to our resort and kick back along the baywalk of Sabang Beach. it was very relaxing  to enjoy the sights, sounds and pacific breeze as we digested our delicious lunch of crabs purchased earlier from a vendor on the beach. Sarap!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/dBZHKJiNKP3eQ1A28

I highly recommend a visit if you get the chance. The drive is a bit hairy as it zig-zags through the Aurora mountains, but it's very much worth the effort

Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
Re: One Saturday in Baler, Aurora - Photo Albums
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2020, 02:45:41 PM »
Very nice.  Sounds like a great place to visit.  Great selection of pictures.
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2020, 01:42:45 AM »
I highly recommend a visit. Just getting out of Metro Manila is a breath of fresh air (literally). Sitting on the beach taking in the breeze was transformative. Taking in the sights, sounds and aromas of beach life was truly wonderful. Watch out for that zig-zag road going through the mountains. Make sure you have a trusted river. Preferably one who has made the trip before  ;D

Offline clarkee

• Sr Member
  • Retired Air Reserve Technician
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2020, 07:36:15 PM »
Some very nice photos indeed. Everyone looked like they were having a good time as was meant to be. Never been in that part of the Philippines before but I must give it a try on my next visit. When you mentioned Sabang beach my first thought was Puerto Galera Mindoro but there are many Sabang beaches in the Philippines.

Offline Hestecrefter

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2020, 10:41:29 PM »
Let me add my thanks for your posting of photos and comments.  Not a place with which I was familiar.  Looks to be worth a visit for sure.  Might just add it on my next trip to the Phils.

Offline clarkee

• Sr Member
  • Retired Air Reserve Technician
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2020, 11:00:04 PM »
I believe the movie "Apocalypse" had some filming in Aurora province near Baler.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2020, 01:43:33 AM »
I believe the movie "Apocalypse" had some filming in Aurora province near Baler.

Yes, the beach scenes at "Charlie's Point" ("I love the smell of napalm in the morning") were filmed about 2 miles up the beach north of there.  Other filming was done over Lake Taal. The Do Long Bridge scene and Col Kurtz compound was filmed on the Pagsanjan River

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2020, 01:44:28 AM »
Some very nice photos indeed. Everyone looked like they were having a good time as was meant to be. Never been in that part of the Philippines before but I must give it a try on my next visit. When you mentioned Sabang beach my first thought was Puerto Galera Mindoro but there are many Sabang beaches in the Philippines.

Yes, this one is in Aurora Province along the east coast of Luzon

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2020, 02:13:01 AM »
Let me add my thanks for your posting of photos and comments.  Not a place with which I was familiar.  Looks to be worth a visit for sure.  Might just add it on my next trip to the Phils.

We passed through Cabanatuan on our way to Baler, but did not stop at the Camp Pangatian Memorial, the site of the Bataan death march prisoner camp. My next trip along this road I intend to make time to visit these hallowed grounds