Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Manila Lockdown  (Read 5003 times)

Offline iamjames

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: Manila Lockdown
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2020, 08:36:27 PM »
You will be getting many meaningless food temperature lasers pointed at your forehead.  Ask the person "what is  my temperature"? The answer will be anywhere between 32c - 33c. Normal body temperature is about 37c.
They do not have a clue. Its a sham just to pretend to the public that they know what they are doing. We use those infrared for gauging the correct temperature for the oil before cooking. 

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2020, 06:52:55 AM »
Guess they are using the appropriate equipment here in Gen Trias, Cavite because my wife's temp is always in 37c range.

Chuck
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

Offline MotorSarge

• Sr Member
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2020, 08:43:02 AM »
Right temp or not...our world is looking a very grim situation as whole very soon.
MS

Offline FastWalk

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2020, 09:20:00 AM »
Take the situation seriously,  I know most of your are or will.     Things are not that bad yet for anyone that is not sick or has income from dependable source.  Local workers are and will be having issues due to being restricted from going to work.  Most areas are in lock down of some sort.     
Remember, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

Offline jjcabgou

• Sr Member
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2020, 02:43:55 PM »
Guess they are using the appropriate equipment here in Gen Trias, Cavite because my wife's temp is always in 37c range.

Chuck
Same here Chuck, I have been consistently around 36.5 (many many checks)

Offline lost_in_samoa

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2020, 05:41:09 PM »
My daughter is stuck in Manila.   Competing outta town and missed the call to bug-out.  She is pretty well stocked up.  I worry though.

We are all locked down here.  Our lives really have not changed that much.  More people around.  More kids underfoot.  But many hands make light work.

Today they just locked down Mangaldan township.  I see that as more of a secure assets thing than a stop the virus thing.  Two weeks ago I personally watched several sari sari stores close and move inventory.   I suspect that Mayors are doing the same thing right about now.

Ester posted the attachment to FB today.  She has a bit of a vindictive streak, (don't ask me its a Filipina thing).  Calling out all of her classmates for past eye-rolls.

We over look a national roadway.  After doing some quick napkin math we figure that there are half the supply trucks moving that need to be moving.  With the presumption that every truck we spotted was coming to our area and not transiting to somewhere else.

I shut down most of the electrical at sundown.  Save wear and tear on the system.  Attract less attention.  You don't notice how bad CFL and LED bulbs are until you switch back to Kerosene lamps.

Folks not having electronics at night are fun to watch.  Rook and Monopoly are all the rage right now.

I'm hearing that they are having good luck with Hydroxychloroquine and Z-Paks.  I wonder if  the older form of Quinine works?

Y'all be safe out there.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 05:51:21 PM by lost_in_samoa »

Offline MotorSarge

• Sr Member
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2020, 07:52:36 AM »
For all you fellow expats, spouses, siblings...etc.
I think you should take exterme warning above & beyond of what you are being fed by the local barangay news.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/
MS

Offline jjcabgou

• Sr Member
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2020, 01:48:48 PM »
I think you should take exterme warning above & beyond of what you are being fed by the local barangay news.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

What exactly are we being fed?  I am not being told anything here that seems outlandish.

Offline bigrod

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2020, 02:36:20 PM »
JJ, I am confused too.  Not sure what MotorSarge is trying say/insinuate.  Wondering what Brgy he lives in that might give him that impression.

Chuck

Offline User444

• Sr Member
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2020, 11:13:53 PM »
 Our condo complex just  announced that we have to wear masks if we're outside our unit (it's not a city requirement though) and they just started checking your temperature at the entrance gate. The city asked for 1 name from each household so they could print a "day pass" so 1 person could go out and buy food/medicine, but I don't think they'll actually make the passes. They can't even print a driver's license or license plate. It's been a multi-year scam where you pay for those services and just get a slip of paper saying you have them but nothing is ever given. So I don't think they can't print 100,000 custom "day passes" in a week. The traffic here has been reduced by 90%. I just read yesterday that they won’t do the day passes.
I walked to 7-11 today 1 mile round trip and bought some food. They now are open from 8 am-5 pm so I should call it 8-5.
Never argue with an idiot who provides false information. First, they will bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Offline MotorSarge

• Sr Member
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2020, 01:18:52 AM »
With all sarcasm put aside,
Not trying to insinuate or excite anyone but if you are able to watch the stats on any world news you can see that daily paper passes and someone checking your temp with a meat thermometer is no match for what is going on.
I lost my 82 year old Uncle on the 14th from COVID19 and my oldest brother just got released from ICU 2 days ago, both are from populated places.
It is going to take the right teams and individual extreme measures to control & stop this.
Even countries with medium to large medical supplies, teams and personnel are overwhelmed and some are getting sick themselves.
Yes this is hard to do in highly concentrated populated areas but we need heed to what our medical teams and experts are instructing to do (and yes they are not all experts, some of them are just wearing a badge and passing what was passed to them).
I currently live in one of the most isolated places in the world, isolated by personnel count and by distance, not by choice and I'm still worried for my family with me and in Luzon.
I'm not a man of deep religion but I pray for us all... :(
MS

Offline lost_in_samoa

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2020, 05:27:54 AM »

What exactly are we being fed?  I am not being told anything here that seems outlandish.

JJ, I am confused too.  Not sure what MotorSarge is trying say/insinuate.  Wondering what Brgy he lives in that might give him that impression.

Y'all know that my view of the world and its leadership is .... uhhmmmm ....... distorted.  That being said here is how I understood the good Sgt.

Excerpt from an interview with Vice Admiral James Stockdale.

"When Collins asked, “Who didn’t make it out [of the POW camp],” Stockdale replied,

Oh that’s easy. The optimists. They were the ones who said, ‘we’re going to be out by Christmas.’ And then Christmas would come, and Christmas would go.

And then they’d say, ‘We’re going to be out by Easter.’ And then Easter would come, and Easter would go. And then Thanksgiving. And then it would be Christmas again.

And they died of a broken heart.

“This is a very important lesson,” Stockdale continued. “You must never confuse faith that you will prevail in the end—which you can never afford to lose– with the discipline to confront the most brutal facts of your current reality, whatever they might be."

"This is the situation that each of us is facing right now.

We want to be optimists. We want to believe that this pandemic is going to magically vanish tomorrow morning and that we’ll all be able to go on with our lives as if nothing has changed.

But that’s not going to happen.

The brutal facts of our reality are that this pandemic continues to spread rapidly, and it has the potential to kill millions of people.

Reducing that projection requires shutting down the entire global economy… resulting in a wide range of catastrophic consequences, including tens of trillions of dollars of prosperity wiped out, countless jobs lost, millions of bankruptcies and defaults, entire governments going broke, and more.

Saving the economy condemns millions to die. But saving millions from dying condemns hundreds of millions to suffer.

These are the facts. And they are brutal. "

https://www.sovereignman.com/trends/powerful-wisdom-from-one-of-the-toughest-men-who-ever-lived-27575/

Offline bigrod

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2020, 06:59:03 AM »
Optimism like anything else needs to be tempered with reality! Yes we have a pass for one individual per household in our subdivision, brgy, municipality.  Is the virus spreading of course it is and will continue until it reaches its peak, then like most others will decrease.  Will the COVID19 be worse than the flu in mortality rates is still to be determined.  So is it time to panic or just time to follow the rules set in place to reduce the risk to the general population?  I have never been a proponent of "the sky is falling" scenario.  JMHO

Chuck

Offline lost_in_samoa

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2020, 08:43:52 AM »
I have never been a proponent of "the sky is falling" scenario.  JMHO

Times like these ya gotta have a little humor.   Sorry I just can't resist.

Offline MotorSarge

• Sr Member
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2020, 08:44:29 AM »
My kind of leader....I don't worry about the sky falling...JMHO....SIHTF....and ignorance is in the same race that the COVID19 is in right now.

/r/ until 30 March 2020
MS