Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats
Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Manila Lockdown  (Read 5621 times)

Offline User444

• Sr Member
Re: Manila Lockdown
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2020, 09:58:11 AM »
"it has the potential to kill millions of people."
You have the potential to win the lottery tomorrow. You have the potential to die in a car accident this week. There are a lot of POTENTIAL things that COULD happen IF they happen. I know you included that guy's whole article, but there has to be a balance between a worst case scenario and a realistic scenario. HIV killed around 1 million humans last year. The 2009 swine influenza pandemic caused around 200,000 deaths. The normal influenza virus caused around 500,000 deaths last year. So far, COVID19 has claimed around 21,000 lives. It's not over yet, but is it worse than malaria, dengue, hepatitis B, and ebola?

From the World Health Organization:
The Ten Biggest Killers
About 52 million people died from all causes in 1995, according to the report. Of these, more than 17 million were killed by infectious diseases.

Acute lower respiratory infections such as pneumonia killed 4.4 million people, about 4 million of whom were children.

Diarrhoeal diseases, including cholera, typhoid and dysentery, spread chiefly by contaminated water or food, killed 3.1 million, most of them children.

Tuberculosis killed almost 3.1 million, mostly adults.

Malaria killed 2.1 million people, including 1 million children.

Hepatitis B infections killed more than 1.1 million people.

HIV/AIDS killed more than 1 million people.

Measles killed more than 1 million children.

Neonatal tetanus killed almost 460 000 infants.

Whooping cough (pertussis) killed 355 000 children.

Intestinal worm diseases killed at least 135 000 people.
Never argue with an idiot who provides false information. First, they will bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2020, 10:33:34 AM »
My kind of leader....I don't worry about the sky falling...JMHO....SIHTF....and ignorance is in the same race that the COVID19 is in right now.

/r/ until 30 March 2020

To me ignorance is trying to peddle a panic when common sense should prevail.  Follow the published policies to keep the spread to the minimum, so hopefully the medical community can manage the situation.  The more testing done the more that will be identified as having COVID19, that is just a fact.  But once identified they can be treated/confined as appropriate or would it be better to not identify and let the infected roam freely and infect more individuals? The beast is out of the box and now is the time press forward with keeping the infected to a minimum.  Doctors are already saying this will be a yearly cycle like the other virus, but hopefully next year there will be a vaccine.

Chuck
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

Offline lost_in_samoa

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2020, 10:57:23 AM »

Offline jjcabgou

• Sr Member
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2020, 11:32:33 AM »
"it has the potential to kill millions of people."
You have the potential to win the lottery tomorrow. You have the potential to die in a car accident this week. There are a lot of POTENTIAL things that COULD happen IF they happen. I know you included that guy's whole article, but there has to be a balance between a worst case scenario and a realistic scenario. HIV killed around 1 million humans last year. The 2009 swine influenza pandemic caused around 200,000 deaths. The normal influenza virus caused around 500,000 deaths last year. So far, COVID19 has claimed around 21,000 lives. It's not over yet, but is it worse than malaria, dengue, hepatitis B, and ebola?

From the World Health Organization:
The Ten Biggest Killers
About 52 million people died from all causes in 1995, according to the report. Of these, more than 17 million were killed by infectious diseases.

Acute lower respiratory infections such as pneumonia killed 4.4 million people, about 4 million of whom were children.

Diarrhoeal diseases, including cholera, typhoid and dysentery, spread chiefly by contaminated water or food, killed 3.1 million, most of them children.

Tuberculosis killed almost 3.1 million, mostly adults.

Malaria killed 2.1 million people, including 1 million children.

Hepatitis B infections killed more than 1.1 million people.

HIV/AIDS killed more than 1 million people.

Measles killed more than 1 million children.

Neonatal tetanus killed almost 460 000 infants.

Whooping cough (pertussis) killed 355 000 children.

Intestinal worm diseases killed at least 135 000 people.
False equivalence in many, if not most, of the cases above.  First HIV/AIDS, this is not transmitted thru the air or contact with a contaminated surface etc.,  Dengue is transmitted by mosquitoes and kills about 25k annually etc., additionally many of the illnesses above there are vaccines for, however, worldwide,most people do not get a vaccine.  We are dealing with a virus which there is no vaccine and is highly transmissible.    Not sure the point you were trying to make, however, I inferred you think that the "world" is over reacting?    If that is the case, I strongly disagree. 

Offline User444

• Sr Member
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2020, 12:31:51 AM »
False equivalence in many, if not most, of the cases above.  First HIV/AIDS, this is not transmitted thru the air or contact with a contaminated surface etc.,  Dengue is transmitted by mosquitoes and kills about 25k annually etc., additionally many of the illnesses above there are vaccines for, however, worldwide,most people do not get a vaccine.  We are dealing with a virus which there is no vaccine and is highly transmissible.    Not sure the point you were trying to make, however, I inferred you think that the "world" is over reacting?    If that is the case, I strongly disagree.
My point was there are far deadlier viruses out there. I just added that list to compare it to the deaths of COVID-19. We could isolate it down to just viruses. Influenza is transmitted through the air and you can get it from a contaminated surface. The normal influenza virus caused around 500,000 deaths last year. There is a vaccine for that and yet it still causes a ton of deaths. COVID-19 does not have a vaccine and has caused around 44,000 deaths in the first 3 months of this year. Could it cause 200,000 deaths by the end of the year? That's still less than influenza.
Never argue with an idiot who provides false information. First, they will bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Offline lost_in_samoa

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2020, 07:39:13 AM »
My point was there are far deadlier viruses out there.

From across the room LIS butts in with ........

My point is that doing what your told, not doing what your told, panic, don't panic, it's deadly, it's just the flu .... it doesn't really matter.   

The damage is done.  The order that you have enjoyed for your whole life cannot be put back together again.  Humpty Dumpty is down for the count.

The last time a shock like this,  ( which was 1/100th as big as this one ), occurred ....

it caused a global depression that lasted 14 years and cost 7 million deaths in what was at the time the richest, most capable nation on the earth.   

There is no accurate accounting of how many deaths it precipitated here.

Please stop, insert the everlasting gob-stopper for a second, and really think about what those facts mean for you and your family.

Understand that optimism is no longer enough.   It's going to take grim damn determination put into action.   Even that may not suffice.

So y'all can harangue each other with info from documented liars till the cows come home. 

But I am growing tomato's.  I'm helping my neighbors grow tomato's.  I sincerely suggest in the strongest of terms that you do likewise. 

If I am wrong you have dirty fingernails and home grown veg.  If I am right you are the only one with veg.

Offline User444

• Sr Member
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2020, 11:26:48 PM »
From across the room LIS butts in with ........

The last time a shock like this,  ( which was 1/100th as big as this one ), occurred ....

it caused a global depression that lasted 14 years and cost 7 million deaths in what was at the time the richest, most capable nation on the earth.   

what event was this and what year did it occur?

Offline lost_in_samoa

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2020, 03:44:45 AM »
what event was this and what year did it occur?

Please tell me your joking.

Offline Peter

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2020, 10:09:23 AM »

Please tell me your joking.

I don't know what you're referring to either. Is it some sort of "You should know it or you die!" event? Or maybe just Custer's last stand?

Peter
Noli nothis permittere te terere.
Virtus autem corruptibilis est,
summa virtute prorsus corrumpitur,

Offline lost_in_samoa

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2020, 10:29:58 AM »
"You should know it or you die!" event?

Possibly.

There was a time when I would gallop off into a multi page rant festooned with proofs and videos.  Painfully, I have learned to reserve that value for more worthy recipients. 

From my perspective this thread has just careened into the surreal.  But I do try to help as much as I can.  To that end I offer these tidbits.

Pedring, User there are two quotes that y'all should internalize.  Please do not think of this as any sort of disparagement.  It is not given as such.  It is presented as a friend discretely notifying you that your fly is open.

1.)  Those who do not know history are doomed to repeat it.

2.)  “Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past.”.

3.)  In direct answer to User's question try this.

As an aside,  those of you who have grudgingly tolerated my presence know that I am a subject matter expert on transforming feces into something useful.

In that train of thought, I wonder if this little nugget of corn might be useful to some.

Coronavirus relief: Withdraw $100K from your IRA

Offline User444

• Sr Member
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2020, 07:03:11 PM »

I've read different accounts of how many years it lasted in the USA. Do you have any credible sources for the 7 million deaths claim? I have never heard of the mortality numbers being that high. When I tried to look it up, the only site I found that claimed 7 million people starved to death was a shady Russian propaganda site.

Offline lost_in_samoa

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2020, 06:04:42 AM »
shady Russian propaganda site.

I don't know.  Under the current P.C.R.O.E. that smells racist.  Does that mean the information is automatically false?

When I tried to look it up, the only site I found

Uhmmm ....  Your ability to learn is not my responsibility.  What is work harder?

I spent 2 minutes on DuckDuck and found hundreds of discussions that got all down into the nitty gritty of what caused this or is diagnosed as that, and did whoever even have the ability to compile .... whatever.

My point is ......

You should consider the parallels between then and the present day.  It might give you a broader perspective to extrapolate from.

Since you are not familiar, you should start here IMO.

I am warning that this virus is not the issue to be focused on.  It's your call.  Or not. 

You have the freedom to reap the benefits or face the consequences.

You do as you see fit.   I don't have a problem with anyone until they try to "socialize" the "shared responsibility" of their consequences onto my benefits.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 06:32:47 AM by lost_in_samoa »

Offline MotorSarge

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2020, 11:25:16 AM »
Wow I missed a lil bit, I guess I'm the only one who has had Chinese take out, Ville style Korean Kugogi or the most racist yet...Filipino Spaghetti.
MS

Offline Peter

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2020, 04:08:19 PM »
Wow I missed a lil bit, I guess I'm the only one who has had Chinese take out, Ville style Korean Kugogi or the most racist yet...Filipino Spaghetti.

Har. Har. Har.  ;) ;) ;)

I like Scotch eggs, but not Balut.

Peter
Noli nothis permittere te terere.
Virtus autem corruptibilis est,
summa virtute prorsus corrumpitur,

Offline MotorSarge

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2020, 11:46:05 PM »
You can't do that...it's Poached Eggs with French Fries....I meant Freedom Fries!
MS