Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Locsin Cancels Foreign Visas  (Read 815 times)

Offline Vicks

• Sr Member
Locsin Cancels Foreign Visas
« on: March 20, 2020, 11:19:19 AM »
"Starting today, all our embassies and consulates will temporarily suspend visa issuance to all foreign nationals as well as the visa-free entry privileges of all foreign nationals," Foreign Secretary Teodoro Locsin said. "Moreover, all previously issued Philippine visas to foreign nationals are deemed cancelled..."

So now I have to wonder what that will mean for those expats who live here and extend their visa every two months.

Has anyone gone to immigration today to acquire a visa extension?
Never mistake knowledge for wisdom. One helps you make a living; the other helps you make a life.
-Sandra Carey

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
Re: Locsin Cancels Foreign Visas
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2020, 01:21:19 PM »
That was from DFA and applied to people coming to the Philippines.  If your local BI office is open you need to apply for extensions when needed.  As far as Luzon visa extensions have been suspended as per the article below. 

http://immigration.gov.ph/images/News/2020_Yr/03_Mar/2020Mar20_Press.pdf

Chuck
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

Offline Vicks

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2020, 04:00:46 PM »
Thank you big rod. The update adds some reassurance to our friends that are here by way of Visa Extensions.

Locsin has no love for foreigners. He stated in August of last year that he was proposing the Philippines end all Visa On Arrival.

So when we read, Foreign Secretary Teodoro Locsin said. "Moreover, all previously issued Philippine visas to foreign nationals are deemed cancelled..." it was pause for concern. I mean, ALL previously issued visas would include Visa Extensions.

Again, thank you for the updated information.
Never mistake knowledge for wisdom. One helps you make a living; the other helps you make a life.
-Sandra Carey

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2020, 04:31:33 PM »
Chuck is spot on.

When I saw the above I talked to Tina who called immigration(they rather speak to her in her fluent waray waray than me in my English).  Like Chuck said, it's for those incoming that everything has been stopped on.  Those of us already here can get extensions if needed. 

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline lost_in_samoa

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2020, 01:33:12 PM »
Just received this.