Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats
Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Do you ever feel like a target?  (Read 1678 times)

Offline FastWalk

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: Do you ever feel like a target?
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2019, 01:23:22 PM »
Never feel like a target.  Visiting for 15 years,  living for 1.  No problems like that.  We usually get good treatment,  maybe better than average.  My wife gets overcharged sometimes a little or a vendor has no change...   It never happens to me,  most go out of there way to ensure being fair.  I honestly expected worse.   We live as common folks and don't call attention to ourselves much.  I don't have any concerns about safety,  but we are vigilant all the same.  Biggest headache is all the kids caroling right now. 

We have had some ppl try to scam us...  but it is usually obvious and can avoid it.   
Remember, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

Offline codefreeze

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2020, 05:38:18 PM »
Never feel like a target.  Visiting for 15 years,  living for 1.  No problems like that.  We usually get good treatment,  maybe better than average.  My wife gets overcharged sometimes a little or a vendor has no change...   It never happens to me,  most go out of there way to ensure being fair.  I honestly expected worse.   We live as common folks and don't call attention to ourselves much.  I don't have any concerns about safety,  but we are vigilant all the same.  Biggest headache is all the kids caroling right now. 

We have had some ppl try to scam us...  but it is usually obvious and can avoid it.   

Agree, but with regards "but we are vigilant all the same" - that's what I found quite draining.

Offline David690

• Sr Member
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2020, 07:42:28 PM »
Agree, but with regards "but we are vigilant all the same" - that's what I found quite draining.

I am more at ease living here in Davao and visiting bars and restaurants late into the night/early morning than I do in my home town of London, where crime in general and knife crime in particular is rampant.  Never once felt the need to look over my shoulder here and never had anything but respectful friendly interactions with locals.
Londoner at heart