Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Backup power for black/brownouts  (Read 479 times)

Offline htr44

Re: Backup power for black/brownouts
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2020, 07:21:49 PM »
We were supposed to have a 5KW solar system installed this year but that`s all on hold now due to this flu ++ thing.
The weak link is power storage but after looking at new upcoming tech,I must say I am very impressed..Specially with these new gravity power storage batteries which in theory should last for many many years.
Interesting to see where this goes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gn5AM75AGvw

5 KW would be pretty good for them and it's the lead-acid batteries that are currently often used for solar storage I'm hesitant about. The system in that video looks cool but maybe more tuned to large-scale, municipal, centralized storage rather than individual, de-centralized home use?

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2020, 11:29:22 PM »
Obviously this system could be scaled to suit for household requirements..
The system can even be partially hidden to lift and drop heavy weights into 6" wide deep underground wells.
To my way of thinking,this tech is a no brainer,especially in a country of brownouts short and long like the Phils!
Use the sun to lift the weights via surplus power during day time and then rely on gravity to provide required power during night time hours.. Might not be cheap to set up but could provide constant power for at least the lifetime of the panels.. 25 yrs.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 11:37:11 PM by fred »

Offline MotorSarge

• Sr Member
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2020, 12:56:57 AM »
Lol....CH...Mister NRA himself!

You mean like this?
MS

Offline MotorSarge

• Sr Member
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2020, 01:03:45 AM »
Kind of a shame it's still like this at this day and age since Pompeii had plumbing and aqueducts 3,000 years ago.

If you want to step a little further outside of the envelope, you could build a cooling tower.  If there are decent winds where you are at they work really well.
  >

3,000 years of Egyptian/Persian technology can't be wrong.

Stay safe,

Peter
MS

Offline MotorSarge

• Sr Member
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2020, 01:20:24 AM »
I'm very skeptical on this, I would have to see it in operation in person to fully understand the math of ratios and gearing.

We were supposed to have a 5KW solar system installed this year but that`s all on hold now due to this flu ++ thing.
The weak link is power storage but after looking at new upcoming tech,I must say I am very impressed..Specially with these new gravity power storage batteries which in theory should last for many many years.
Interesting to see where this goes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gn5AM75AGvw
MS

Offline MotorSarge

• Sr Member
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2020, 01:25:55 AM »
Even this....Island living at it's finest!

You mean like this?
MS