Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Baguio - worth a visit?  (Read 1058 times)

Offline codefreeze

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Baguio - worth a visit?
« on: September 07, 2020, 07:31:38 PM »
Hi,

I'm not sure, but I suspect a few people on here might live in Baguio, or have visited?

I'm trying to figure out whether it's worth a visit on the next trip to the Phils. I have not been up north as yet, and Vigan is on the list, but I'm trying to figure out if Baguio is worth stopping by? Is the climate that much different from Manila? Is it a pleasant town, or a congested city? Have they really chopped all the trees down? What's the pollution level like?

Worth a visit, or one to avoid?

p.s. depends on lockdown/corona, but Feb is the month we'd most likely visit (+ or - one month).

Cheers,
Tony

Offline Hestecrefter

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: Baguio - worth a visit?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2020, 10:00:22 PM »
I spent about a week in Baguio in May 1995 and was there for a few days each time in 1999 and 2001.  Stayed twice at a place called the Venus Parkview Hotel, if my memory serves.

Baguio was quite nice back then.  Can't say about now, 20 years later.  It was getting somewhat congested, a trend which I suspect has continued.  It was noticeably cooler there than it was in Quezon City, where I lived from about 1998-2002.  I recall being in homes that had fireplaces, which is hard to imagine for the Philippines.  There were still trees back then. 

Maybe you will hear from some here with more recent experience in Baguio.

Offline MotorSarge

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2020, 10:22:52 PM »
We spent 4 days there last December. Moderately congested traffic, high tourist area, overpriced but it is still a very beautiful place with many trees and other greenery plants. I believe it has the coolest climate of all of PI...you will definitely need a jacket at night and a blanket for sleeping. We really enjoyed it and it is a family event and will visit whenever we are in country IMO well worth the visit.

Quote from: codefreeze link=topic=53779.msg91515#msg91515 date=1599478298
Hi,

I'm not sure, but I suspect a few people on here might live in Baguio, or have visited?

I'm trying to figure out whether it's worth a visit on the next trip to the Phils. I have not been up north as yet, and Vigan is on the list, but I'm trying to figure out if Baguio is worth stopping by? Is the climate that much different from Manila? Is it a pleasant town, or a congested city? Have they really chopped all the trees down? What's the pollution level like?

p.s. depends on lockdown/corona, but Feb is the month we'd most likely visit (+ or - one month).

Cheers,
Tony

Edit By Steve: Fixed the quote.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 07:13:54 AM by Steve & Myrlita »
MS

Offline mikbal

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2020, 01:12:38 AM »
February is a good time to go. Last time we were there was in June of 2014 and. although significantly cooler than NCR, found it to be quite warm with air pollution issue from all the traffic. Of course that was over six years ago and things may have changed.  I most enjoyed strolling around the parts of Camp john Hay that still hadn't been developed with condos. Here again, don't know what the situation is now.  Would have liked to have returned on our last trip  but things just didn't work out.  The wife is a beach person so we spent part of the time in Palawan.  FYI, somewhere in the sea off El Nido is an Apple IPhone if anyone wants to look for it. :)

Offline codefreeze

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2020, 12:52:02 AM »
Thanks folks! I will probably swing by there and check it out!

All the best,
Tony

Offline Kurt

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2020, 08:55:04 AM »
An enjoyable place but a bit overpriced. The weather is certainly better than the NCR in summer.

Offline medic3500

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2020, 05:10:42 PM »
Baguio is over hyped these days. The wife and I visited just prior to the lockdown for three days and was quite disappointed. The traffic and pollution is horrible and reminded me of any other large city other than the temperature are a little cooler I won't go back. The last time I was there was nearly 20 years ago do it had changed drastically and in my opinion not for the good. Many other small mountain towns that are cleaner with sight seeing.

Hi,

Cheers,
Tony

Offline codefreeze

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2020, 12:47:20 AM »
Baguio is over hyped these days. The wife and I visited just prior to the lockdown for three days and was quite disappointed. The traffic and pollution is horrible and reminded me of any other large city other than the temperature are a little cooler I won't go back. The last time I was there was nearly 20 years ago do it had changed drastically and in my opinion not for the good. Many other small mountain towns that are cleaner with sight seeing.

Sadly that is what I heard too, but I was maybe hoping to hear something more positive from someone who's been there recently. It doesn't sound good though, and sadly seems to have gone the way of so many places these days. Thanks for the feedback!

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2020, 01:58:08 AM »
Our last visit was 2011, and I enjoyed it. We stayed in a small, clean pension house and did the usual side trips. Camp John Hay, Mines View Park and of course walked around SM. new at the time. The weather was definitely much cooler at night. You'll want a good jacket that can repel rain. And I definitely needed a blanket at night. Food was delicious, plentiful and not too expensive, IMHO. There are deals to be made if you look for hand carved trinkets as a remembrance, and there was plenty of fresh air, except in midtown. I'd still go for a visit if given the opportunity
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline M.C.A.

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2020, 06:03:37 PM »
Sorry Codefreeze I have a much older visit 1985 and only time I spent the weekend there and we stayed at Camp John Hay it was cooler for sure even during the daytime and the shopping was nice and activities we also at at Shakeys the streets at night were barren and peaceful, there was a military man with his dress uniform standing out visibly drunk and just standing next to a pole.

Evergreen trees and we did need to light the fireplace at night it got cool the cottages (not sure if they are still there) had fireplaces in them, we also made a visit to an under ground cave they showed some very old writings.

The bus ride to and from was scary to say the least and at times near cliff edges.
My views would be from someone who lives out in the province close to in-laws on a pension.  Norwegian and French heritage.

Offline MotorSarge

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2020, 05:55:05 AM »
Codefreeze,

If you are visiting PI..do not make the mistake of going home without visiting Baguio! We all have our own opinions but I will hit Baguio everytime I'm in PI.

MS

Offline codefreeze

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2020, 09:07:45 PM »
Back on the list!

Now, just waiting for PI to open up again...