Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats
Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Trash  (Read 2236 times)

Offline Frosty

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Trash
« on: August 03, 2020, 08:22:26 PM »
We have started clearing some property that we have owned for the past 15 years, we had it fenced and put up no trespassing signs
but that did not stop the neighbor's from turning it into the local landfill. My wife has had a few discussions with the neighbor's about the problem, but nobody knows how the trash got there. I want to be a good neighbor and treat people as I would like to be treated but this crap has got to stop. 
I know most of you that live here have had to deal with this problem so I need to hear your story and how you solved the problem.

Offline MotorSarge

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: Trash
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2020, 08:50:49 PM »
We have started clearing some property that we have owned for the past 15 years, we had it fenced and put up no trespassing signs
but that did not stop the neighbor's from turning it into the local landfill. My wife has had a few discussions with the neighbor's about the problem, but nobody knows how the trash got there. I want to be a good neighbor and treat people as I would like to be treated but this crap has got to stop. 
I know most of you that live here have had to deal with this problem so I need to hear your story and how you solved the problem.

We know this happens...you can be a wise ass and do a slow burn so it smolders! :o
MS

Offline M.C.A.

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2020, 10:23:54 PM »
We had to put up fences in order to keep out the trash and keep checking these fences to make sure they're still up if not it turns into a trash dump.

So next they started putting their trash bordering our property but on their side and now daily burnings of plastic that we have to breath and contend with so maybe MotorSarge has it correct and I've had enough of the plastic smelling air, they don't make their fires burn fast they make us suffer for days so I will have a response as soon as we get a little break from these rains and it'll be big and the wind will be in their direction... sadly taking the high road is for sissy's it's time for some payback.
My views would be from someone who lives out in the province close to in-laws on a pension.  Norwegian and French heritage.

Offline MotorSarge

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2020, 03:26:01 AM »
We had to put up fences in order to keep out the trash and keep checking these fences to make sure they're still up if not it turns into a trash dump.

So next they started putting their trash bordering our property but on their side and now daily burnings of plastic that we have to breath and contend with so maybe MotorSarge has it correct and I've had enough of the plastic smelling air, they don't make their fires burn fast they make us suffer for days so I will have a response as soon as we get a little break from these rains and it'll be big and the wind will be in their direction... sadly taking the high road is for sissy's it's time for some payback.

Or since these good folks live right next to your property head on down to one of them Rat/Rodent Factories and pick up up a dozen rats.
Drop them in the areas where the trash has been thrown. They will eventually & quickly sort out the main source of supply and someone will start to think about their ignorance :o  Now if your looking for bonus points to score wait til Ben and all his sibilings have feasted and reproduce from the neighbors kindness, then go buy about 1/2 dozen pythons and dump them in the same place where Ben is well established now.  Bring your chairs, Redhorse & share the popcorn with them so grateful neighbors 8)
MS

Offline MotorSarge

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2020, 08:52:55 AM »
Or since these good folks live right next to your property head on down to one of them Rat/Rodent Factories and pick up up a dozen rats.
Drop them in the areas where the trash has been thrown. They will eventually & quickly sort out the main source of supply and someone will start to think about their ignorance :o  Now if your looking for bonus points to score wait til Ben and all his sibilings have feasted and reproduce from the neighbors kindness, then go buy about 1/2 dozen pythons and dump them in the same place where Ben is well established now.  Bring your chairs, Redhorse & share the popcorn with them so grateful neighbors 8)

Okay.... now but in all actually let your ole lady handle this and not you....life will be much longer ......and happier!
MS

Offline M.C.A.

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2020, 02:36:24 PM »
Okay.... now but in all actually let your ole lady handle this and not you....life will be much longer ......and happier!

For sure she handles it and they appeared to move the trash but it was only 10 feet further from our house on the property line, she did threaten them with burning our trash next to their house because my wife has a small lot next to them but so far we haven't gone that route yet, we are actually trying to get along and I've been burning our trash later on in the evening so they don't get the smoke but they won't do the same for us.
My views would be from someone who lives out in the province close to in-laws on a pension.  Norwegian and French heritage.

Offline Frosty

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2020, 08:54:59 PM »
My wife and her sister decided to take care of the trash problem.
We first went down to the local market and picked up 30 used rice sacks then they went to each of the houses across from the property
and started handing out sacks and told them they better pick up all the trash  or they are going to report them to the police. Some came over and picked up the trash.
we still have a lot of trash to pick up but so far no more new trash.
Then my wife hired a guy with a chain saw and cut down all the trees along the road, she said they stand in the shade and throw their trash on the ground along the road and in front of the property
I hate to see the trees cut down but the problem has stopped

Offline MotorSarge

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2020, 09:50:07 PM »
My wife and her sister decided to take care of the trash problem.
We first went down to the local market and picked up 30 used rice sacks then they went to each of the houses across from the property
and started handing out sacks and told them they better pick up all the trash  or they are going to report them to the police. Some came over and picked up the trash.
we still have a lot of trash to pick up but so far no more new trash.
Then my wife hired a guy with a chain saw and cut down all the trees along the road, she said they stand in the shade and throw their trash on the ground along the road and in front of the property
I hate to see the trees cut down but the problem has stopped
Sounds like a reasonable way to handle it without going overboard.
You can also regrow some trees easily once you guys move onto the property 8)
MS

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2020, 12:53:16 PM »
Info for those who want to cut down trees:  https://philippine-islandproperties.com/cutting-trees-on-your-own-land/

Chuck
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

Offline MotorSarge

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2020, 09:53:52 PM »
Info for those who want to cut down trees:  https://philippine-islandproperties.com/cutting-trees-on-your-own-land/

Chuck

Lol I read the link and it reminded me of when I lived in Germany.
You will get caught and prosecuted in Germany if you cut down a tree without the German Forrest Meister's inspection, measurements, pictures, reasoning, replanting, etc & etc.
Fishing is even worse, you got to take a 40 hour course on a multitude of different  items and then you must join a fishing organization. Not like here where you just go get a permit and a tub of worms and off you go :o

Also..thank you for sharing the knowledge, may have saved me some future problems.
MS

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2020, 06:17:32 PM »
Lol I read the link and it reminded me of when I lived in Germany.
You will get caught and prosecuted in Germany if you cut down a tree without the German Forrest Meister's inspection, measurements, pictures, reasoning, replanting, etc & etc.
Fishing is even worse, you got to take a 40 hour course on a multitude of different  items and then you must join a fishing organization. Not like here where you just go get a permit and a tub of worms and off you go :o

Also..thank you for sharing the knowledge, may have saved me some future problems.
I grew up in Michigan, which, if you count every lake from a half acre up in size, we had more lakes than anyone, on top of great lakes on most of our borders.  And I believe the law is still the same today that if you fish on a lake that is surrounded by private property, fishing was unregulated.  Between my uncle, who owned an excavating company that created more than a few man made lakes with gravel pits to a few he just owned on his or relative's properties...I had the lake I lived on as well as over 6 more that I could fish on whenever I wanted, to hell with any licenses or permits. 
Where Minnesota takes the cake is when you get to what they consider a lake(5 acres or larger) they take the cake and beat Michigan in damn near every class, until you get over the number of lakes over 100 acres or larger, then Michigan takes back the top level.  I have friends, and at one time family, that live(d) in Minnesota.  I never understood as a kid how they got the title of most lakes.  Wasn't until I talked to a DNR officer on a plane once and in our talks he cleared it up.  I use to ride my bike to school a total of 5 miles and passed over 15 different lakes long the way.  Yeah, that crazy.  Another friend of mine going out the other way from down town passed over 20 lakes going about the same distance.  But, most were about .5-3 acre lakes.  BTW, by most standards, a lake is a self sustaining body of water that can also support plant and fish life.  At least that's how it was explained to me.  A few technicalities also could take place that would at as exceptions to the whole self sustaining and supporting of plant and fish life.  But for the most part, it needs to meet those parameters.  I always called small/tiny lakes ponds and thought lakes/ponds/etc were a matter or size.  I was wrong on that.
Also, when I was married to my ex(also a Filipina) her dad took me fishing on a river on the back of his property in Orion, Bataan.  That was kinda fun.  Fishing for fish that was completely new to me.  I asked him about the whole license thing and he just laughed.  Said nothing to worry about.  Few would dare walk on his land without permission, and if any did he'd take care of any issues with the local authorities.  That got a laugh out of me. 
As to trees, I find that site funny.  I get it.  Legalities and all and it only takes a few idiots to make governments to feel it necessary to create overreaching laws for everyone else.  Still, stuff like what you are discussing in Germany or what article of what happens here in the Philippines just make me laugh.  Wonder how much it cost the government to make up all that legislation?  Should have used it in creating a setup that stops all the illegal logging.  that stuff just runs rampant, yet they want to make the every day person who wants to cut down a tree be able to expand their home in that direction jump through hoops that are just too much.  The illegal tree clearing is something to look at.  Done so much here where I live.  The maid is expanding and growing her home.  She ordered from a mill that operates illegally.  In the process of trying to deliver the order they get "caught" and have the wood taken.  LOL  No one knows where it is now.  And how the hell could they tell it's illegal?  The same group delivered their first order and it looks no different than the lumber in the building supplies company in town.  And the illegal mill operators handed it over with no question, and got to keep their lumber trailer.  HA!  I can only assume they are making so much money off of their illegal mill that losing a load every now and then is a part of paying the price to keep their operation going.  Par for course for the Philippines I guess.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 06:25:52 PM by JoeLP »
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline MotorSarge

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2020, 10:33:59 PM »
I grew up in Michigan, which, if you count every lake from a half acre up in size, we had more lakes than anyone, on top of great lakes on most of our borders.  And I believe the law is still the same today that if you fish on a lake that is surrounded by private property, fishing was unregulated.  Between my uncle, who owned an excavating company that created more than a few man made lakes with gravel pits to a few he just owned on his or relative's properties...I had the lake I lived on as well as over 6 more that I could fish on whenever I wanted, to hell with any licenses or permits. 
Where Minnesota takes the cake is when you get to what they consider a lake(5 acres or larger) they take the cake and beat Michigan in damn near every class, until you get over the number of lakes over 100 acres or larger, then Michigan takes back the top level.  I have friends, and at one time family, that live(d) in Minnesota.  I never understood as a kid how they got the title of most lakes.  Wasn't until I talked to a DNR officer on a plane once and in our talks he cleared it up.  I use to ride my bike to school a total of 5 miles and passed over 15 different lakes long the way.  Yeah, that crazy.  Another friend of mine going out the other way from down town passed over 20 lakes going about the same distance.  But, most were about .5-3 acre lakes.  BTW, by most standards, a lake is a self sustaining body of water that can also support plant and fish life.  At least that's how it was explained to me.  A few technicalities also could take place that would at as exceptions to the whole self sustaining and supporting of plant and fish life.  But for the most part, it needs to meet those parameters.  I always called small/tiny lakes ponds and thought lakes/ponds/etc were a matter or size.  I was wrong on that.
Also, when I was married to my ex(also a Filipina) her dad took me fishing on a river on the back of his property in Orion, Bataan.  That was kinda fun.  Fishing for fish that was completely new to me.  I asked him about the whole license thing and he just laughed.  Said nothing to worry about.  Few would dare walk on his land without permission, and if any did he'd take care of any issues with the local authorities.  That got a laugh out of me. 
As to trees, I find that site funny.  I get it.  Legalities and all and it only takes a few idiots to make governments to feel it necessary to create overreaching laws for everyone else.  Still, stuff like what you are discussing in Germany or what article of what happens here in the Philippines just make me laugh.  Wonder how much it cost the government to make up all that legislation?  Should have used it in creating a setup that stops all the illegal logging.  that stuff just runs rampant, yet they want to make the every day person who wants to cut down a tree be able to expand their home in that direction jump through hoops that are just too much.  The illegal tree clearing is something to look at.  Done so much here where I live.  The maid is expanding and growing her home.  She ordered from a mill that operates illegally.  In the process of trying to deliver the order they get "caught" and have the wood taken.  LOL  No one knows where it is now.  And how the hell could they tell it's illegal?  The same group delivered their first order and it looks no different than the lumber in the building supplies company in town.  And the illegal mill operators handed it over with no question, and got to keep their lumber trailer.  HA!  I can only assume they are making so much money off of their illegal mill that losing a load every now and then is a part of paying the price to keep their operation going.  Par for course for the Philippines I guess.

Small...small world......I rented a house for 3 years in a private resort on Gull Lake Minnesota, it is where the biggest Ice Fishing contest in the world is held every year. They drill 10,000 holes and people from all over the globe come to catch the biggest fish in their species to win sleds, boats, fish houses etc. I could not handle the -40 every February but one beautiful place to spend the summers.
MS

Offline codefreeze

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2020, 11:00:39 PM »

I wasn't clear if they were dumping outside your property, or within the boundaries?

You can get a cheap solar-powered video camera. Would that be a deterrent? Even if you put up a few "monitored by CCTV" signs that might help.

I'm curious though - can you report this to the local council and have them come pick the trash? If people "fly tip" (dump trash illegally) where I live in the UK you can ring the council and they will send a truck down and pick it up.

p.s. For American readers there's no connection between fly tipping and cow tipping! ;) ;)

Offline Frosty

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2020, 09:24:38 PM »
Trash update
yes they were dumping the on our property
We don't live on the property yet. We are getting it ready to build our house on it,
We are currently in the process of repairing the fences, and we replaced the fence along the road with a 6 foot high bamboo fence
We did talk to the local police about what was going on, and they were aware of the problem but they don't do anything until someone
complains about it. So far we have not had any more problem with trash I think the police stopped by and had a talk with them.

Offline MotorSarge

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2020, 08:22:39 AM »
Trash update
yes they were dumping the on our property
We don't live on the property yet. We are getting it ready to build our house on it,
We are currently in the process of repairing the fences, and we replaced the fence along the road with a 6 foot high bamboo fence
We did talk to the local police about what was going on, and they were aware of the problem but they don't do anything until someone
complains about it. So far we have not had any more problem with trash I think the police stopped by and had a talk with them.

That was probably the best way to settle it 8)
MS