Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Lost In Samoa has passed  (Read 10402 times)

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Lost In Samoa has passed
« on: April 22, 2022, 03:09:55 AM »
It is with deepest sorrow I must report that our friend and fellow forum member Lost In Samoa passed away yesterday. Mark Cunningham was only 58 years old. I have not been able to contact his wife Estrella as of yet. I found out when I was scrolling thru Facebook and saw her post of his cremation urn sitting in repose in their living room. I have attached two pics that I pulled from their FB page.
Mark and I were very close friends and I will miss him dearly. As I find out more info I will pass it along to the group.
RIP Mark. Godspeed brother
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
Re: Lost In Samoa has passed
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2022, 11:09:01 AM »
Wow... I was just emailing back and forth with him less than 2 weeks ago  :(
SO SAYETH THE RUFUS

Offline Steve & Myrlita

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • Myrlita & I and all of our grandchildren.
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2022, 11:17:13 AM »
Wow, I'm so sorry to hear this. Only 58. You never know when your number is up. Jack, if you can find out how he died, it would be appreciated. Specifically, if he got the death jab. RIP Mark.
Thank you...God Bless...
Bro Steve & Sis Myrlita
Bacolod City, PH
*** RIP MY FRIEND LEE ***
***       RIP DON H        ***

Offline MotorSarge

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
  • Tracers Work Both Ways
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2022, 09:19:10 PM »
Condolence....

I have not had the chance to meet LIS or any other member on here yet personally. I thought he was a unique character and had plenty experiences and knowledge he wanted to share or force apon some of us at times :) We shared a few discussions.... and there were times I did not reply so as to not "Lose Face".  It was just a few months back we chatted and disagreed on some irrelevant topic....but I still told him hope to meet up one day when we make our move back to PI.

58 was too young my friend... :(

RIP LIS
MS

Offline codefreeze

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2022, 11:09:20 PM »
Very shocked to hear that! Condolences.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2022, 11:50:23 PM »
So far I learned only that his passing was sudden. Gloria will try to contact Estrella tonight to express her condolences and see if she can learn more about what happened.

I know Mark rubbed some of you the wrong way. Hell, so do I. But he was a remarkably intelligent man. He built a unique home and had just begun to realize their self-sustaining lifestyle off grid. It will be difficult for Estrella to maintain their home and farm in the same manner.

I had planned to visit with them just before the Hunan virus was released on the world. We cut our visit short and returned to the US and have not been able to return yet. He and I exchanged many PMs over the years and he seemed to be a very good man who loved his wife and family dearly. He offered to put us up at his place and promised me a delicious rabbit dinner when we arrived for our visit. I was intrigued by his solar panel layout and hoped to learn more from him while onsite.

Some of you disagreed with Mark about many subjects. Put that aside and pray for his wife and daughter. Life is too short to hold grudges.

Godspeed brother

Offline MotorSarge

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
  • Tracers Work Both Ways
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2022, 04:12:06 AM »
Wow, I'm so sorry to hear this. Only 58. You never know when your number is up. Jack, if you can find out how he died, it would be appreciated. Specifically, if he got the death jab. RIP Mark.
Hi Steve,

I kinda of wonder the same thing....but LIS was really against the jab....he elaborated on that very much just a few months ago..
MS

Offline M.C.A.

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2022, 12:37:24 PM »
RIP Lost in Samao, he was young, very sad.
My views would be from someone who lives out in the province close to in-laws on a pension.  Norwegian and French heritage.

Offline clarkee

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
  • Retired Air Reserve Technician
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2022, 06:48:02 AM »
Sorry to hear about LIS! I had a few interesting chats with him and he was quite a very unique individual to say the least but I guess we can say that about one another.  I never knew the lad because I'm in the U.S. and plan to stay put.  Considered moving back to the P.I. but I met a wonderful filipina here in the U.S. who has no urge to move back home.  R.I.P. Mark as I am just now learning your real name other than LIS.  You are in a much better place I'm sure and I pray that your wife is safe and in Gods arms.  God Bless both of you!!

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2022, 11:32:03 PM »
Hi Steve,

I kinda of wonder the same thing....but LIS was really against the jab....he elaborated on that very much just a few months ago..

Mark was vehemently opposed to the vaccine. So I would think that he was not vaccinated. We have not attempted to contact his wife as she is still in mourning. But I did see another photo on a pamangkin's Facebook page showing him in the Dagupan ICU (see attached) with a prayer that his brain be healed.
I'm thinking that since this was a sudden occurrence, it sounds as though he suffered a stroke. I do know he was a cigarette smoker and believe he also had Type 2 Diabetes. Two things that work against a healthy life.

Offline MotorSarge

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
  • Tracers Work Both Ways
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2022, 07:27:09 AM »
Makes me sad :(....I enjoyed his sarcasm)....he stated what I felt often....LIS was a very wisdomatic individual.... :(
MS

Offline Kurt

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2022, 01:51:15 PM »
Condolences to LIS's family. His time here was far too short.

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2022, 10:35:21 PM »
Sad to hear the news.  I really enjoyed the talks I had with him.  Enjoyed his gardening wisdom and what he brought to the board.  So sad to hear.
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline clarkee

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
  • Retired Air Reserve Technician
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2022, 07:50:38 AM »
Makes me wonder if Mark ever had his carotid arteries tested with a carotid ultrasound.  I did about 2 weeks ago and I found out I have a 90% blockage in my right artery and I'm having a carotid endarterectomy sometime in the morning. I'm not overweight, non smoker, non diabetic, no previous strokes or heart disease so I'm praying that I make it through the procedure just fine. My father died at the age of nearly 77 of TIA's or mini strokes so it does run in the family. A lot of anxiety just thinking about going under the knife but it's the better alternative I believe.  It's about a 2 hour surgery with a night stay in the hospital mainly for observation. Knowing my dad he probably never had this ultrasound test. I'm also non vaccinated and plan on keeping it that way.  Haven't had any vaccines including flu in 22 years and have never came down with any illness.  I consider myself blessed!

Offline Steve & Myrlita

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • Myrlita & I and all of our grandchildren.
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2022, 10:16:24 AM »
Makes me wonder if Mark ever had his carotid arteries tested with a carotid ultrasound.  I did about 2 weeks ago and I found out I have a 90% blockage in my right artery and I'm having a carotid endarterectomy sometime in the morning. I'm not overweight, non smoker, non diabetic, no previous strokes or heart disease so I'm praying that I make it through the procedure just fine. My father died at the age of nearly 77 of TIA's or mini strokes so it does run in the family. A lot of anxiety just thinking about going under the knife but it's the better alternative I believe.  It's about a 2 hour surgery with a night stay in the hospital mainly for observation. Knowing my dad he probably never had this ultrasound test. I'm also non vaccinated and plan on keeping it that way.  Haven't had any vaccines including flu in 22 years and have never came down with any illness.  I consider myself blessed!
I hope you make out ok.
Thank you...God Bless...
Bro Steve & Sis Myrlita
Bacolod City, PH
*** RIP MY FRIEND LEE ***
***       RIP DON H        ***