Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Boxes from Gold Coast, Australia  (Read 6441 times)

Boxes from Gold Coast, Australia
« on: April 11, 2008, 09:54:03 AM »
I\'m posting this more from desperation than expectation, but somebody might be able to offer a suggestion.

I\'ve \'adopted a school\' in the boondocks of Capiz. People here in Australia have donated all sorts of things, some of which is rubbish but a lot of which would be very worthwhile to send to the school.

The trouble is Australia Post only sends parcels airmail to RP, at about $10 a kg. Even if I had $300 to pay the postage it would be a waste of money - the school would get better value if I just sent the money.

I\'ve looked for a balikbayan box service on the Gold Coast or Brisbane in Queensland but can\'t find anything. Forex operates out of Sydney and doesn\'t seem very interested in a small customer 800 km away. Even the local Chinese supermarket, which is supposed to be the font of wisdom for all things Asian, gave a blank stare when I inquired.

Anyone know of a possible solution?

Offline coutts00

• Sr Member
Re: Boxes from Gold Coast, Australia
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 10:55:55 AM »
Ken,

I\'ll get the boss onto it, she has many contacts in Australia for this stuff as well. She is asleep right now, but when she awakes I\'ll have her send some emails. Where is the town sending the goods, and where do you want it sent to in RP.

Wayne
Wayne  ;D ;D

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 11:10:08 AM »
Many thanks Wayne. I\'m in a little place called Bogangar which is about 20 km south of Tweed Heads on the NSW Queensland border. I\'d be happy to drop stuff off as far away as Brisbane.

The school is in Tapaz, Capiz but I think it would be best to send it to Iloilo City. I have friends who can take care of it from there.

Thanks again.

Offline coutts00

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 02:53:51 PM »
the boss says to check out http://www.bmexpress.com/bmexpress/services/parcel/sea.asp

There is a contact number on the site and they may have agents in Brisy that can accommodate you.

Its actually a Filipino company and when you explain its donations for a school, they may waive some or all of the fee if you beg a little, I am trying to come up with one of the principals names from Noreen, (Tristan Tagle) pronounced Tug lay, he is a son of the owner. Ask for him and explain your situation, see what they can do for you, say you got his name from an acquaintance in PI who spoke highly of his company.

Wayne
Wayne  ;D ;D

Offline graham

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 08:02:10 PM »
Ken,

Wayne is spot on. I originally came from Sydney and BM Express worked there too. I have a mate in Bris. who is married to a Filipina and he is very knowledgeable, I will email him for you and try and get you an alternate carrier if BM don\'t work out for you.

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 08:33:10 PM »
Thanks guys, I already looked at BME web site but thought they only shipped out of Sydney and Melbourne. I\'ll try to chat to Tristan on Monday and see what the score is. I\'ll let you know.

Thanks again.

Offline graham

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2008, 07:36:15 AM »
Ken,

Here is a part of an email I received last night from my friend in Bris.  When he has more info I will let you know!!!!!    Regards

There is a guy here in Brisbane who we use to send Balikbuyan boxes to RP

Basil Amon
Philippine Express
F 07 3271 4810 
 Cell 0418 870 376

We just paid $170 for the box to go to Bukidnon
The cost depends where in RP its going to
Manila and Luzon is cheaper
We are seeing some people tomorrow who use balikbuyan boxes and they say that they have a cheaper forwarder that what we pay

The box size is good,there is no weight limit to it
Basil will be able to tell your mate if there is an agent at Tweed Heads

Offline coutts00

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2008, 07:56:20 AM »
Boxes from there to here suck when it comes to price, the Australian Dollar is worth almost as much as the US dollar and its 60 USD for a really big box from the US, I don\'t know where they can get off charging 170 each, same container sizes and same ships, must be volume that is the clincher.

Wayne
Wayne  ;D ;D

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2008, 10:24:13 AM »
Even from the midwest US we pay only $90 per large box and that includes shipping from Louisville to Chicago, then Chicago to the west coast where it\'s put on the container ship.  That\'s over 3000 miles of ground shipping before it hits the ship!  $170 from Oz to the Philippines is a rip off, IMHO.  Got to be a better rate from someone.

Jack 
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2008, 12:53:09 PM »
Thanks heaps for the lead Graham. Unfortunately, unless the box is so big it can take my three existing boxes, I\'d be up for $340. It would be cheaper to send airmail with Australia Post for $300 but neither figure would be a sensible use of the money. I\'ll call BME tomorrow and see how far I get.

Offline coutts00

• Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2008, 04:08:19 PM »
How big are the existing boxes? Could you repack into different boxes and reduce the clutter, i.e only send what is actually needed to be sent, put the rest aside for another box another time... a jumbo box from a balikbayan shipper is about 24\" x 18\" x 18\" or as you said set the goods aside and send the money...

It is common in the US and probably in Australia for Pinay/Australian couples to progressively build up the contents of a box and ship one every couple of months.

Wayne
Wayne  ;D ;D