Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Malapascua Island  (Read 2795 times)

Offline Robm

• Sr Member
Malapascua Island
« on: January 02, 2008, 12:28:32 PM »
In Nov 07 I spent a week on Malapascua Island. If you are looking for a remote beach getaway, this is a very nice place. The location is at the northern tip of Cebu. From Cebu city about a 3 hour drive. The drive itself is very interesting. You drive along the eastern coast. Once you get around Bogo the drive takes you into the mountains. Finally you get to the ferry point. A 45 minute ferry ride and you are at Malapascau.
The Island does not have any cars, but some of the locals have scooters. I stayed at the Exotic Dive resort. It is about the last resort along that span of beach. There are around 7 or 8 other small resorts along the same stretch of beach. In the evenings we would walk down the beach and pick a restaurant to dine at. (flash light needed!)
We took a scuba dive excursion and a snorkel excursion. Both very nice. One evening we heard music and followed the sound. In a small area they set up a disco outside. I had the best BBQ pork ever, a few beers, and then we danced. A group of 5 little pinay locals joined us and it was a blast. Who taught those little girls to dance like that????
All and all a very nice and relaxing time. The people at Exotic Dive were very nice and I enjoyed the trip. These are not even 3 star resorts so don\'t expect that. You can find rooms from backpacker rooms to small but clean rooms with ac and hot water.

Beach

Beach view from resort

Beach

Relaxing at Exoctic Dive Resort

Malapascua Island

East end of Malapascua

Rock ledge

Robm

Offline GregW

• Sr Member
Re: Malapascua Island
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 10:32:55 AM »
Hey Rob, really nice fotos.  That second foto of the back of the young lady looking out to the sea is my favorite.  Nice composition.  That\'s a postcard foto to me.

Ako si Goyo.   Amerikano akong lawas pero Bisaya akong kasing-kasing

Offline Manila Cockney

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 02:47:19 PM »
Whats the recommended way of getting from Cebu airport to the ferry drop off point?

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 03:28:15 PM »
Whats the recommended way of getting from Cebu airport to the ferry drop off point?

Assuming you\'re asking about the ferry to Malapascua; taxi to North bus station.  Bus through Bogo to the Maya warf (4.5 hours).

Offline Robm

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 08:11:53 PM »
Thanks Greg. One of my favorite photo\'s too... i think it would make a great screen saver.

We used a taxi to go from the airport to the Maya ferry point. We did this because her unlce has a taxi. We stayed at Exoctic Dive resort and they can line up transportation too. And as Ron suggested you can take a bus.

Robm

Offline GregW

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 10:42:25 AM »
Rob, came back here to see the new postings and I still can\'t get over that picture.  The more I look at it the more I see the greatness of capturing that single moment.  What is she looking at?  What is she thinking as she gazes out to the sea?  Is she dreaming?  Hoping?  Or, just feeling melancholy?  We see her backside, not her face, so the viewer is left to ponder.  There are so many questions and possible answers that one could spend hours staring at this foto.  Dude, you need to enlarge this, make copies, frame them and sell them as artwork.  I\'m serious.
Ako si Goyo.   Amerikano akong lawas pero Bisaya akong kasing-kasing

Offline BigBird

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2008, 02:29:48 AM »
I have two days planned in that area next month.  Then we plan to slip over to Budyong for a couple days too before we head back into Cebu City and then back down into Surigao area.

The pictures are great.  I can almost see the wife on the beach now (hiding and covered from the sun).

The bird flys on Friday and it\'s a 6 week vacation. 

I hope to be sitting in a like position with beer goggles on and enjoying the moment!

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2008, 07:02:26 AM »
I have two days planned in that area next month.  Then we plan to slip over to Budyong for a couple days too before we head back into Cebu City and then back down into Surigao area.

The pictures are great.  I can almost see the wife on the beach now (hiding and covered from the sun).

The bird flys on Friday and it\'s a 6 week vacation. 

I hope to be sitting in a like position with beer goggles on and enjoying the moment!

Don\'t forget to send us all a postcard & put some photo\'s here
  8) :)

Offline samatm

• Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 11:06:14 PM »
Hi rob,

how was the diving?  Did you have any shark encounters thate M island is supposed to be famous for?
could u reccommend any dive shops?

thanks
scott