Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Beach front property  (Read 5975 times)

rcrawford

Beach front property
« on: May 30, 2008, 11:46:55 AM »
I have been lokking at Negros, Cebu. The web site island properties have alot of property for sale. I understand that realtors aren\'t the best way to go? Is 1,000-1,500 pecos per sqm alot for beach front property? Pro\'s & cons with this typ of property? Would $150.000 USD complete a nice home of 300-400 sqm? I know I\'m probally asking some out of the box questions but every bit of insight I can get is helpful.
One final question, what happens when you buy land through your wife, build a home and then the marriage goes sour? lose your.....shirt or get half?

Thanks

Rick C

Re: Beach front property
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 12:12:11 PM »
I have been lokking at Negros, Cebu. The web site island properties have alot of property for sale. I understand that realtors aren\'t the best way to go? Is 1,000-1,500 pecos per sqm alot for beach front property? Pro\'s & cons with this typ of property? Would $150.000 USD complete a nice home of 300-400 sqm? I know I\'m probally asking some out of the box questions but every bit of insight I can get is helpful.
One final question, what happens when you buy land through your wife, build a home and then the marriage goes sour? lose your.....shirt or get half?

Thanks

Rick C

Rick,

Welcome aboard. The $150K will get you a nice house here. You will find lots of info to answer your questions, here on the Forum but start by reading the other posts in this section.

As for ownership if things go wrong, you have some rights to the Building but none to the land. Read this thread to give yourself a good start.

http://livinginthephilippines.com/forum/index.php?topic=930.0

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 01:36:04 PM »
Not a lot for beach property. Just make sure your dealing with a CLEAR title! My wife and I has a lot of experience checking out local property titles and RAN from the last 5!

Also with beach properties, some owners will tell you that they own all the way to the water. That is NOT TRUE! There\'s a Government set back for public use, (forgot how many meters).
B-Ray

Thanks

Rick C

Offline coutts00

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 03:02:55 PM »
Rick and Carla, by way of welcome I am Wayne. One of the least used items on the page is the search bar at the top of the page. Enter the words and read the results, there will be quite a few. Don\'t want to burst your bubble, however few people tend to remember we have an ongoing problem with Global Warming and anything on the beach unless you have a dramatic drop to the water could quickly become inundated in a storm. If you really want to consider beach front, also consider building yourself a nice stout sea wall fronting your property that will also serve as a property line for those walking down the beach, it tells them where your property is and where not to walk.

Consider that it may not affect you in your lifetime, but will affect your family later in their lives and the property you paid so much for, may become worthless. I have a nice bridge in the middle of Nevada going cheap if your interested. Make sure you verify things like high water line and tidal surge, does the beach property end up under water. Consider this, my wifes uncle has 2 hectares right on the water, on one of our visits 3 yrs ago when I first saw it, gorgeous trees everywhere, Pineapple and Mango, lots of native fruits, he even gave us a piece of the property as a wedding present. Then a typhoon blew threw with the resulting tidal surge, it denuded the property and all that was left was a few coconut palms, house gone, all the native trees and fruits gone, 20 yrs hard work disappeared overnight. It used to look like Indiana Jones jungle and you needed a bolo to get around the property, now you could drive a semi down the middle of his property and not run over anything.

In downtown Virac, Catanduanes. There is a large seawall, some 15 feet high and a road behind it, after the last storm, so much debris was washed up over the wall, the road disappeared, and the seawall all but disappeared. Buyer Beware \"Caveat Emptor\", make sure you research the weather patterns in your island paradise before committing money, do your homework, approach it as you would a new business venture, after all you are spending your money, not the banks, its not something you can just walk away from....

Wayne
Wayne  ;D ;D

rcrawford

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 11:05:21 PM »
I truely appreciate all your advise, that\'s why I joined this club, sometimes things get painted at its best and although my parade may get rained on, I would rather get wet then drown.

Thank you so much

Rick

Ted

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 01:14:11 PM »
There is an easement for public use along the shoreline.  The reference is Article 51 of the Water Code of the Philippines.
It states:
Act. 51. The banks or rivers and streams and the shores of the seas and lakes throughout their entire length and within a zone of three (3) meters in urban areas, twenty (20) meters in agricultural areas and forty (40) meters in forest areas, along their margins, are subject to the easement of public use in the interest of recreation, navigation, flotage, fishing and salvage. No person shall be allowed to stay in this zone longer than what is necessary for recreation, navigation, flotage, fishing or salvage or to build structures of any kind.

Since most beach lots are in agricultural areas, the usual easement for public use is 20 meters. This easement has been called the “salvage zone” because of the reference to “flotage, fishing or salvage”. It is measured from the highest tide mark. The easement is a restriction on your use of the land in favor of the public. You can’t legally build there. This puts a seawall in question.

The foreshore belongs to the government. The Foreshore is that land that is “covered and uncovered by the tide”.  This is interesting because if you are a beach owner, and the sea covers your land at high tide (not storm surge), your title could be annulled (reversion) – but only by the Solicitor General. Fun stuff with global warming and rising tides.

Knowledge of these laws is a rare thing. Enforcement even more so. Unfortunately, the beaches and the 20 meter easement are being frequently abused by squatters and beach resorts alike, to the detriment of all.  Local and Regional DENR offices are poorly run and often have their authorities revoked.  Enforcement is primarily left to the LGU where they usually don’t understand these laws at all and don’t care anyway. (Until you come along). 

If the LGU has a comprehensive land use plan, they may be enforcing the easement. If they begin a land use plan, they might start to enforce it. They might $tart a $pecial plan just for you. They might cancel your permits if someone complains about a 20 meter easement violation.

The best lots are more than 20 meters back. But then there is the issue of squatters camping in front of you since it is “public land”.

If your wife buys a beach lot, the headaches and rewards can be significant.

Offline stillbilly2002

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 01:13:36 AM »
Wayne, my wifes aunt lives behind that sea wall in Virac ............your dead on right.........stillbilly2002
   ive been their myself......your speaking gospel truth

Offline stillbilly2002

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 01:15:52 AM »
Wayne we are buying land outside of Virac..........any knowledge of             price per sq. meter?
    i would trust your opinion more than my relatives on site..........thanks mate...billy2002

Offline coutts00

• Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 06:00:27 AM »
Virac is a big place, can you give me the barangay, is it close to the ocean, further inland etc. I\'ll see what I can do.
Wayne  ;D ;D

Offline stillbilly2002

• Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 10:51:15 PM »
  :)  Wayne, its between the airport and Virac.....ill get more info...... :) billy2002

Offline coutts00

• Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2008, 12:33:05 AM »
Depending on the size of the property and whether it is in a subdivision as some are, I was looking at 2 hectares a while ago at 300 a sq mtr, that went up to 700 in 2 yrs, assuming you are not talking hectares and its proximity to the circumferential road or the National Road going to Cololobon / San Andres, I would price it at 400 - 600, it will take some bargaining and verify there is clear land title.
Wayne  ;D ;D

Offline stillbilly2002

• Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2008, 11:18:32 PM »
Wayne ,thanks i hope my post is in clear and correct english.good info. i new we were getting bent. you give great advice on personal saftey and im betting you saved me fron taking a bath buying some land.same thing there right ?watch your money.  :) billy

Offline stillbilly2002

• Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2008, 11:58:05 PM »
Wayne, the guy talking to my wifes family is saying p2500 per sq.meter ,he is selling small pieces of a large property. billy :)

Offline coutts00

• Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2008, 08:02:06 AM »
In his dreams... Tell your family to look around, is there a house on the property? Why don\'t they go further out past the airport or there is a great barangay I was looking at, if you go to the airport road, then take a left at the airport and go further about a kilometer, absolutely beautiful up the hill or another if you go past the university to the seminary, make a left and go about a kilometer another great area.
Wayne  ;D ;D

Offline stillbilly2002

• Sr Member
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2008, 11:04:23 PM »
Thanks, Ill show  my wife this post.  You made my day. Billy