Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Trip to Negros Oriental  (Read 1565 times)

Offline John Amend-All

• Sr Member
Trip to Negros Oriental
« on: May 04, 2008, 11:39:44 AM »
Thought I would share some factual details of our recent trip to Santa Catalina via Manila and Dumaguete.

Came down by coach from Isabela to Manila on the overnight trip, using Victory Liner. This company runs good coaches but is over-enthusiastic with the aircon. I looked forward to getting outside to warm up! :o Trip is 10 hours at 439 p per person.

Stopped at Cubao depot and taxi to domestic airport was under 300p. Flew with Cebu Pacific who I thought were fine. The flight to Dumaguete was 2025p each, booked couple of weeks in advance, but airport fee was 200p each. Worth noting that free baggage was 20kg, good for a domestic flight.

Stayed overnight in Dumaguete at La Residencia Al Mar hotel (didn\'t know about B-Ray\'s accommodation at the time). The 4 of us stayed in the Family Suite, 2 bedrooms with 2 beds in each for 2250p all told. The hotel seems good value, standard rooms from 1200p up. The building is old Spanish style and the public parts are decorated with Filipino artworks and crafts. Only criticism is the bedroom furniture was shabby. The hotel is right alongside the seaside boulevard.

I enjoyed being in Dumaguete, a small city but with most of what you would expect and a Mediterranean feel, with the boulevard where people stroll along in the evening. Personally, I could do without seeing a guy even older and uglier than me being smarmed over by 2 beautiful young Pinays. Having said that, I was there with my young nephew at the time so I don\'t know what sort of couple people thought we were. :-[

To get to Santa Catalina we had hired a vehicle but there are Ceres buses that do the journey. We stayed with cousins my wife had not seen since leaving for UK 20+ years ago. Needless to say, we had quite a party. The thing I loved there, was the way people would come to the house with a bucket of still living seafood for sale - large prawns, squid, octopus and various exotic fish, including a swordfish, which had its mouth kept firmly shut by the saleslady.

Asawa cannot resist buying plants so we came back with a few which we had to get on the plane. I want to commend Cebu Pacific for how they dealt with this. You need a permit which is free of charge and obtainable from the airport. Different story for orchids I think.
We just had the plants in a plastic bag but they were transported without any difficulty back to Manila and left separately at baggage claim. They did prevent the transport of my niece\'s lovingly prepared papaya pickles, as \"noxious or acidic substance\". We gave it to the security guard. Hope he\'s ok.

Funny thing, the return flight was more than 500p dearer than the outgoing. But airport tax in Dumaguete is only 30p.

The only unpleasant part of the trip was the taxi coming back from Manila Domestic Airport to Sampaloc. Guy said 800p when we got in, which is ridiculous, and we got him down to 500p, still too much, but at least we weren\'t abandoned in some \"interesting\" part of the city. Smart sis-in-law had in any case copied to her cellphone his permit number, registration etc.

Hope some of this might be of some help to someone at some time.

John† †

Offline RayJ

• Sr Member
Re: Trip to Negros Oriental
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 12:06:29 AM »
Thanks for the trip report! I\'m sure it will come in handy in the future.
It sounds like a place I\'d like to visit. Some of the more familiar western amenities I\'m used to, as well as a beach and Ocean walk.
Iím not Aussie although sometimes I sound like one.